+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beat My Diabetes?

Beat My Diabetes?

Nigh on 10 years ago I was diagnosed as having Type 2 Diabetes. I was 14st and my only exercise was golf, cricket and football coaching so nothing too strenuous.
    I was told it was manageable with drugs and diet but not 'cureable.'
    Over the next few years I improved my diet (ate less,) started playing tennis and lost a stone. My blood sugar levels reduced but I was still considered diabetic.
    Then last year I saw the Michael Mosely 'Trust Me I'm a Doctor' prog on diabetes. He reckoned that 2 months of 800 calories a day could shock my system into reversing it.
    The 8 weeks leading up to Xmas I stuck to the 800 (no alcohol) and found it surprisingly doable. Didn't have any real side effects and was OK to carry on the running I started last year.
    Ate and drank well over Xmas and New Year and then did the 5:2 for January.
    I've lost another stone + and my blood sugar results came back today as below diabetic levels. Apparently it's not cured but it is reversed.
    When I was first diagnosed I felt embarrassed and a bit ashamed of myself for letting myself go. Only ever told the wife. Now I feel great;I've dropped 2 sizes of trouser waist and can squeeze into the slim fit shirt my lad bought me 2 birthdays ago but more than anything I feel good about myself for having done it!

That’s a cracking effort 923.

Congrats to you.

I was a chubby kid until I was about 15 then I got the weight off until I started work but by 22 I’d piled on the pounds again.

I looked like a young version of the old Elvis.....I hated myself.

At 22 I started doing sit ups and built it up to 700 per session,250 press ups and 20 minutes on light weights.

I did that one day and the next day I ran up to 9 miles per session.

By 29 I was super fit and a very good locally ranked runner.

Injuries took their toll through my 30’s but I’ve always tried to keep my exercise discipline.

I’m 57 now and can still run a mile in the 6 plus minutes range ( only 1% of men my age can do this I believe )

I still have a battle with food though,my relationship with it is tempestuous and I do have periods of weakness.

My philosophy has been,since the age of 22,to not let my weight get out of hand and I’m usually in the 11st 11 to 12 stone range.

If I go over 12 stone I have a triple w a n k day and take all measures necessary to get back to being 11st something.

Fair play to you though.

Great effort 9goals. A couple of people I know are still struggling with type 2 and not being as successful as you have been. I will be sure to mention your success to them as encouragement.
    Try to keep to the 5:2 if you can, or at least the principles of it. We have been following it for several years now, my wife rigidly, me 2 low days but not as low as recommended. Really becomes second nature and helps keep everything stable.
    Sincerely well done.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    That’s a cracking effort 923.

Congrats to you.

I was a chubby kid until I was about 15 then I got the weight off until I started work but by 22 I’d piled on the pounds again.

I looked like a young version of the old Elvis.....I hated myself.

At 22 I started doing sit ups and built it up to 700 per session,250 press ups and 20 minutes on light weights.

I did that one day and the next day I ran up to 9 miles per session.

By 29 I was super fit and a very good locally ranked runner.

Injuries took their toll through my 30’s but I’ve always tried to keep my exercise discipline.

I’m 57 now and can still run a mile in the 6 plus minutes range ( only 1% of men my age can do this I believe )

I still have a battle with food though,my relationship with it is tempestuous and I do have periods of weakness.

My philosophy has been,since the age of 22,to not let my weight get out of hand and I’m usually in the 11st 11 to 12 stone range.

If I go over 12 stone I have a triple w a n k day and take all measures necessary to get back to being 11st something.

Fair play to you though.
    I was the opposite as a kid I was skinny well into to 30's. Somewhere it all went pear shaped and the pounds came on. I still remember the day a fellow football coach asked me if I had a football stuffed up my top. Even then it wasn't until after a routine blood test when I was told I had Diabetes I was galvanised into doing something about it. For the next few years I did OK (nothing more) and improved.
    It was the Michael Mosely prog and the thought I could reverse it that was the real game changer in my thinking because I now had a target.
    Thanks for your kind comments Yarm & Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    Great effort 9goals. A couple of people I know are still struggling with type 2 and not being as successful as you have been. I will be sure to mention your success to them as encouragement.
    Try to keep to the 5:2 if you can, or at least the principles of it. We have been following it for several years now, my wife rigidly, me 2 low days but not as low as recommended. Really becomes second nature and helps keep everything stable.
    Sincerely well done.
    Book I followed was'The Fast 800' by Michael Mosely. Sill refer it reguarly to remind myself to do the right things. In particular I get on well with his intermittent fasting. Most days I concentrate my eating between 10am and 5pm and fast for 17 hours. I can sometimes lose a couple of pounds between 7 and 10 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Book I followed was'The Fast 800' by Michael Mosely. Sill refer it reguarly to remind myself to do the right things. In particular I get on well with his intermittent fasting. Most days I concentrate my eating between 10am and 5pm and fast for 17 hours. I can sometimes lose a couple of pounds between 7 and 10 in the morning.
    So do I when I have a dump!

Great news, 923.
    Keep it up.
    Middle of last year I was getting much too heavy so decided it was time to do something about it.
    I didn't have diabetes.
    I cut my calorie intake down to just about 1000/day and with the help of an exercise bike and
    rowing m/c, I have lost just under 3 stone. I have to say my wife has been a great help and encouragement.
    It doesn't stop me having a nice meal out on occasion, which I enjoy more now than before.

Great news.
    My wife managed to shake it off last year after having it for sometime. She did much the same as you, controlling her diet, cutting right back. Still checks her levels regularly, but nothing else.

Thats excellent news 923. I was diagnosed with type 2 last year but not severe enough for medication so have to control my diet to keep it in check. I must admit though that I am not the best sticking with diets so your story is quite inspirational. I am definitely going to be more dedicated to controlling this now.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Nigh on 10 years ago I was diagnosed as having Type 2 Diabetes. I was 14st and my only exercise was golf, cricket and football coaching so nothing too strenuous.
    I was told it was manageable with drugs and diet but not 'cureable.'
    Over the next few years I improved my diet (ate less,) started playing tennis and lost a stone. My blood sugar levels reduced but I was still considered diabetic.
    Then last year I saw the Michael Mosely 'Trust Me I'm a Doctor' prog on diabetes. He reckoned that 2 months of 800 calories a day could shock my system into reversing it.
    The 8 weeks leading up to Xmas I stuck to the 800 (no alcohol) and found it surprisingly doable. Didn't have any real side effects and was OK to carry on the running I started last year.
    Ate and drank well over Xmas and New Year and then did the 5:2 for January.
    I've lost another stone + and my blood sugar results came back today as below diabetic levels. Apparently it's not cured but it is reversed.
    When I was first diagnosed I felt embarrassed and a bit ashamed of myself for letting myself go. Only ever told the wife. Now I feel great;I've dropped 2 sizes of trouser waist and can squeeze into the slim fit shirt my lad bought me 2 birthdays ago but more than anything I feel good about myself for having done it!
    That's a great story and well done you.

I dropped weight 3 or so years ago as I simply felt its better without all that weight being carried around. I'd trained in Ju-Jitsu for around 20 years and found once I stopped training that the weight crept up gradually over time. To get fit I eat a good diet but cut out Potatoes, pasta, bread and rice. Didn't drink in the week but had a drink at the weekend and lost 3 stones in under 5 months. Around 12 months ago I had a bad accident suffering a near fatal head injury. Couldn't exercise for months so the weight crept back on. I'm fine now but just starting out again and will follow the same process as before. FWIW, I have found kettlebell exercises to be great for burning fat and improving cardio fitness. Unlike the gym, they're always accessible so I just pop on a workout DVD and 40 minutes later I'm done. Well done again on your achievement!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)