+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Villa 3 United 3 - report

Villa 3 United 3 - report

The Blades missed the chance to go top of the Championship after an incredible evening at Villa Park. United had completely controlled most of the game but then after a Billy Sharp hat trick, the Blades seemed set for a comfortable win. Sadly, a Dean Henderson error soon was followed by another goalkeeping mistake and then amazingly Andre Green headed home in the 94th minutes to salvage the most unlikely of points. United players looked absolutely shell shocked on the final whistle and could not believe they had thrown away what looked an easy win.

Manager Chris Wilder switched things around once again and went with Madine and Dowell instead of Duffy and McGoldrick. Washington was back on the bench but again no place in the match day squad for Coutts. Villa went with an 5-2-3-1 formation with El Ghazi and Kodjia out wide supporting prolific front man Abraham. Dangerman Jack Grealish was deemed not fit enough to start but Villa had a wealth of talent on the bench and a squad that dwarves United in terms of financial outlay.

The game began with United kicking towards the Holte End in their fluorescent change strip and were roaring out of the blocks. O’Connell made a forceful tackle on El Ghazi and then Mings did likewise as Madine hit the deck.

The Blades settled down and were playing some good early stuff. Sharp won a foul on Mings but the floated effort from Fleck was cleared by the Villa defence. Baldock was getting forward at every opportunity and twice he was in down the right. One occasion, he was fed in by Sharp but his shot was too close to the keeper who parried his fierce drive. Soon after Baldock won a corner but Egan’s headed flicked wide seemingly off Hutton but a goal kick was given.

United moved it about expertly again and Dowell got in and was able to skip through two challenges before the defence got a foot in at the last moment. It seemed inevitable a good chance would come and sure enough on 11 minutes United took the lead.

Norwood’s corner was headed back by Madine who span off to the far post and SHARP prodded home from close range. The ball was clearly over the line despite the attempts to clear.

United continued to dominate and Basham was scythed down by Jedinak who was booked. Soon after Basham then halted Kodjia and Dowell was puled down by Hourihane. O’Connell then completed a superb tackle on Abraham as the game began to get stretched and Villa finally mounted some attacks of note.

United started to go a bit longer after dominating the first 25 minutes and this led to Villa getting in a few times with Kodjia beating Stevens with nice skill but it was flicked well wide by Abraham. Then a deep cross tried to isolate Kodjia on the wing back but Stevens did well to hold him off despite some half-hearted appeals for a penalty. At the other end Madine went down equally theatrically.

Henderson then chose to punch when he could have caught but Hutton fired well over as it sat up for him from the clearance. Madine then played Sharp in but the return pass was ill advised and the flag rightly went up.

On 40 minutes Basham clumsily brought the dangerous McGinn down after he had rolled Norwood in the middle of the park and now has totted up 10 bookings and misses the next 2 home games. A deep cross as Villa now got United on the overlap was headed back oddly by Basham into the danger area but Egan cleared under pressure. The same man made a clearance just before half time as United went in front deservedly in the lead after dominating the first 25 minutes but then seeing a more even final 20 minutes but Villa had not had any clear chances of note.

Villa started the 2nd half as the better side and looked to pin United back but Madine got away on the break but his shot was straight at the keeper. Villa tried to respond but El Ghazi cross was defended well by Basham. United came again as Baldock advanced and his cross was blocked from Madine at the near post. On 51 minutes; United doubled their lead. It came after Dowell had a powerful shot that was blocked and looped up to Madine who headed it goalwards and over the keeper and it hit the post and bounced up. Kalinic tried to clutch it but as he put his hands on it, SHARP toed it home. The Villa players appealed that the keeper had it in two hands but the goal was allowed to stand.

Villa tried to respond but a shot was blocked from Egan. United then broke out again and looked dangerous on the break. Dowell had a shot blocked and then soon after he was involved in the third goal. Basham played in Dowell who made an intelligent run and his cross took a slight deflection but SHARP was on the spot to complete his hat trick. It seemed like that was game, set and match.

Green and Whelan came on for Jedinak and Kodjia as Villa tried to find a way back into the game and then Madine was replaced by McGoldrick. McGinn was brought down by Stevens and Henderson did well to push the ball away. Egan then brought Abraham down and was booked before Whelan followed suit for an equally bad foul on Norwood.

Dowell was taken off for Cranie with just under 15 minutes to play before Sharp and McGoldrick combined and the sub maybe should have squared the ball with men over but shot straight at the keeper. Sharp then robbed the hapless Elphick but chipped over the bar.

With just under 10 minutes to play Villa won a corner. The ball came over and Henderson got nowhere near it and MINGS headed home. It was a really poor goalkeeping mistake. This gave Villa life and Stevens gave away a free kick and Villa nearly got in again. Sharp was replaced by Washington and surely would have thought the game was up but there were several more twists to come.

On 86 minutes, Villa suddenly got another goal and the game was very much alive. Elphick’s shot should have been saved but Henderson pushed it away but right into the path of ABRAHAM who tapped home. It was another poor error from the United keeper.

Villa now sensed it and piled men forward. They won a corner and Basham was fortunate not to concede a penalty for a clear shirt pull on a Villa man. Another deep cross came over and Stevens had to hold off McGinn with more appeals for a penalty.

There was 5 minutes of stoppage time to be played and now it was only a case if United could hold out in game they had been so comfortable in but now looked all over the shop.

United were in total panic mode now and were not able to stem the tide and were sat back so deep. Both Fleck and Washington gave the ball away and United had multiple chances to keep the ball but kept giving it away.

A deep cross was cleared but then as it came across from the other side O’Connell wildly slashed at the ball and it barely moved out of the box and fell for a Villa player. The cross was perfect from McGinn and GREEN outmuscled Baldock and headed into the far corner. The Villa Park crowd went mad and the unlikely point had been won. The final whistle went soon after and most of United players slumped on the floor although Stevens clearly was not happy with Henderson’s part in the absolute throwaway and was pointing fingers at the keeper.

United – I am stunned. For 80 minutes we were excellent and deserved to have a comfortable lead. We scored three goals on the road, could have had more and Henderson only had one save to make. We played some super stuff for the first 25 minutes and looked a top, top side. We were excellent and looked all the world like a promotion side. We scored a good goal and looked so confident and Villa could not live with us. They came back a bit but did not have any clear chances just a few crosses that came across. United had been the far better side. Villa did come a bit 2nd half but the 2nd goal although controversial was crucial and then the 3rd game. That should have been good night. For the next 20 we were fine and did what we had to. Villa had gone.

Then Henderson makes a mistake. I said as the corner was awarded – we had to see that out and we would win. We did not. They sensed it then and then another poor keeping error not helped by standing off in the build up saw it 3-2. After this we panicked. People say it was just the errors but they could have had a pen and several other balls were bouncing around. The whole team completely panicked. If Henderson punches it away then the game is over. He did not though and after this it was contagious. Stevens pointed the finger at Henderson rightly so but he gave away countless fouls in the last 20 minutes or sliced balls when he could have been more composed. Fleck and Norwood did not get hold of the ball at all. The changes did not help really and we suddenly panicked. It seemed we still might hang on but then another awful error from O’Connell and they score again – it reminded me of the Rotherham game in terms of how it ended.

It was unbelievable and felt like a defeat. I do worry how this might affect us. Too many times over the last few years we have played so well but have thrown things away but nothing quite as ridiculous as tonight. We imploded. Yes, it was three errors but the whole team just panicked completely. We needed an old head to get on the ball and just calm it down. We looked a team that did not believe it could see things out and that worries me. I said on twitter; we are good but are not good enough and sadly tonight’s utter throwaway shows why we won’t go up in my opinion. We don’t have the belief or nous in the big games and once again a night when we had a golden chance to get a big win, we blew it. It was a complete bottle job and teams around us will have seen that. Teams that go up do not throw away a 3-goal lead with less than 10 minutes to go.

Wilder had to pick them up but I worry how psychologically it could affect a team that has few players that has ever been this high up the pyramid. I hope they can recover but you get the sense this could be the Coutts moment of last season. I hope I am wrong but that was simply incredible. It was not even that we did not win or even they came back – they have done that before but the way it happened. Not much more to say really. Henderson will rightly get pelters for his horror show. Jack was faultless until that moment but I am concerned they all kind of just fell apart after one mistake at 1-3. They literally looked like scoring every time they attacked after this when before it, we had looked untroubled. People will say we should not forget the first 80 minutes but it completely wasted if we do not see games out. I was furious when at full time and that is hard to say when I love this manager, team and what they have done/are doing but I also think it makes me realise why we may fall short.

Villa – They were rubbish for 30 minutes. Had an ok spell but did not hurry us. Played ok for 10 minutes 2nd half but did not hurt us and then we scored 2 more and it looked done. After this they were kicking it out and looked poor. I felt the game was done and they looked finished but the goal gave them hope. After this they sensed they could come back as they have done it before and so it proved. They put over a few good crosses and did not panic when in the final third. They sensed we were panicky and through weight of numbers and knocking balls into the box, chances came. They showed good composure on the third. Still for all the credit they may get for coming back; they were garbage for most of the game and if we do not make mistakes, they do not get back into it. They celebrated like a win, rightly so.

They may use that momentum to go on a run now. I would not be shocked if they got 6th. They do have some good forward players and Abraham will get goals and with Grealish coming back; will get more creativity. They are awful at the back and the keeper they have brought in looks as poor as the one that has replaced him. Not sure they have improved much since Smith went in and they actually are better when they play balls over the top for their pace and power to challenge. On that performance, they are not going to go up but equally if they can repeat the last 10 minutes to start games and play at a higher intensity then they can maybe put some wins together but they are so slow and languid at the back; they will always concede.

Opponent man of the match – McGinn was excellent. The best midfielder on the park and made some good runs and showed lovely footwork at times. He put in some good crosses and drew fouls. Abraham was a threat with his running but we held him well for the most part. Kodija did some decent things at times and showed some trickery. Whelan helped when he came on as he helped them keep the ball better. I also felt that Green’s header was excellent and only a half chance.

Weak link – Take your pick from the wretched defence or the abysmal Jedinak or Hourihane. The two midfielders were slow and clumsy but the defence even worse. Mings did ok at times but around him it was a nightmare. Elphick was appalling and Sharp ran him ragged all night. Hutton is a clumsy and dirty player who is about done at this level. Taylor on the other side was poor too.

Player ratings – (Many of these may have been a mark or two higher save for the final period but I felt as a team we panicked and although three errors contributed not sure anyone can say they ended the game well)

Henderson 3/10 – Had little to do really first half but missed one easy catch pushing it away for no reason. Second half he made a decent save from the free kick and then a nightmare end. Terrible on the first goal getting nowhere near it. He did not even get his hands up and was so weak and just gifted them a goal. 2nd was as bad. A routine save; he did not move his feet and just fell over like a sack of spuds and then the palm away. He would have been better just letting it hit him. He almost passed it into the Villa man. The third I felt he was not great either – he did not seem to shout to O’Connell – he had time and then barely even dived – it was the only place the header could go in. A bit of a mare. He seemed to know judging by his reaction. Everyone rightly loves him and he is a confident lad but it may see him get back to working on his game and focusing more and maybe cutting out the cocky, arrogant attitude a bit.

Baldock 7.5/10 – Played great for the most part getting up and down. Superb first 20 minutes and was surging forward. Defended well also and was able to see off some dangerous players. Showed great energy. Not sure he could do much on the goal against a stronger player. Maybe he could have just been a bit stronger as he did get outmuscled quite easily.

Stevens 7/10 – Played well and used the ball well when he could. He did get beat a few times but stuck to his task but he made a few daft fouls and constantly gives free kicks away on the edge of the box. His fouls often lead to us being under pressure.

Egan 7/10 – Solid enough despite Abraham’s pace sometimes stretching him. He won a lot of headers and cleared up. Got booked for a wild tackle but he was decent until those closing stages when him and the defence were way too deep.

O’Connell 7/10 – Would have been higher (maybe an 8/10) if not for his error. He was excellent with good tackling, covering and blocks. Made numerous tackles and key interceptions but then undid it all with a stupid hackaway. He had a lot more time and could have done anything but that really. Cost us badly but of course the keeping errors put is in that precarious position.

Basham 7/10 – Another committed performance. A few odd headers apart I felt he used the ball well when he could and defended well. Got forward and was involved in the third goal. He did pick up a booking and this now rules him out for two games of course. Not sure where he ended up the last 5 minutes and the formation all seemed a bit disjointed.

Fleck 7/10 – Mixed really. He did some good things using the ball and carrying it forward but then also gave it away under little pressure too. He sometimes just kicks it out or away when he has time. He also got robbed a few times and at the end I felt he could have used it better and this put us under pressure. In the majority of the game him and Norwood controlled things but then they seemed to shrink in the final stages and Villa players won all the loose stuff. One of those two needed to get on the ball and slow things down. It did not happen.

Norwood 7/10 – As above. He used it well with some clever balls and passes but also gave it away a bit too. I felt our midfield was better than them for most of the game though until those final stages and we played better football. He does get turned and midfield runners who can dribble cause him problems. I worry that as good as him and Fleck can be (they were good-decent for most of the game) that neither really is a midfield leader that really stamps their authority on a game when we need to like tonight to kill it off.

Dowell 7/10 – Thought he showed some good bits and pieces tonight. Sure, there were a few giveaways but he ran with the ball at times and showed some nimble, quick feet. He was involved in some good attacks and assisted on two goals in the build-up. I can see why Wilder took him off but I would have brought Duffy on personally to help us keep the ball and felt we went a bit too defensive.

Sharp 9/10 – Excellent. Scored three poachers’ goals but also held the ball up and was lively all game. He chased balls down, linked with Madine and was a real threat. They could not handle his movement in and out of the box. He must be gutted to go off at 1-3 and the team just throw it away.

Madine 8/10 – Thought he played well and I think I would have left him on – the ball came back more after he was taken off and he caused them all sorts of problems with his strength and heading ability. Set up the first and involved in the second goal. He was excellent and did everything we wanted of him when we signed him. Looks more mobile than I thought too. He is not fast but can peel off things at times.

Subs –

Cranie – Came on and went into the back three with Basham just in front of him but not sure he did much of note when he came on. Cannot recall a clearance or header at all and to come on at 3-0 and draw 3-3 not sure you can say much positive even though there were no clear errors. Will probably play in the two home games but not the same sort of player as Basham really.

McGoldrick –Did link well with Sharp a few times and showed some neat flicks but he was greedy when he got in down the right and could have squared it. Not sure him coming on changed the game in terms of what happened as he was ok when he had the ball.

Washington – Came on at 1-3 but at this stage it was Villa now pressing and he just had a few chased down balls. Did lost it on halfway a minute before they scored when he could have just knocked it forward or ran with it down the channel.

Wilder 6/10 – Would be 9/10 for much of the game. Let us be right. Henderson punches it away and we get to 83/84 at 3-0 and the game is done. He does not make the error on th2 2nd and we win. Jack punts it clear and we win. However, despite the errors not sure the subs helped. I can see why a few came off as were tired but to me we went a bit defensive and Cranie did not really do what he was asked to do (win headers/clearances) and help us keep a good shape. I would have probably left it but that is easy to say. I am not sure the changes really affected the result in the sense that we suddenly went crap. We sat back and nobody was getting the team out from the ridiculously deep back line.

Referee – We actually got the decisions today. Sharp was offside on the 2nd and then it should not have stood. They also could have had a penalty for a foul on Bash. So, two big calls went for us. Most of the bookings were fine – some pretty poor tackles from both teams. Hutton’s was abysmal and close to a red. The others were quite cynical from both sides. You could clutch at straw and say 5 minutes was a lot of extra time but there were lots of subs and goals so not sure I can grumble too much. The ref helped us if anything – Villa will rightly argue if they do their job they would have won the game as silly as that sounds!