+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We're better than Chelsea...

Yeah, I was only a puppy myself. The thing is I dont know whether my memories of the six nil are from me being at the match (i definitely recall the chelsea fans more than I do the football) or from the numerous times ive seen it on tv. I once heard some psychologist on the radio say that our early childhood memories are often not memories at all but are formed from looking at old photos.

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    I still long for the day that I meet a chelsea supporter who was at the games the last time we played them. Six nil at millmoor and four one at stamford bridge. Incredible results. When I mention it to chelsea fans I meet they stare blankly as though they didnt even know we had a football club. Then again, football didnt exist before sky tv, did it!
    Pedantic I know but the 81-82 season games (6-0 4-1) weren't the last times we played them.
    We played them 82-83 - still didn't do too badly. 1-0 win at Millmoor and 1-1 draw at Chelsea

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    Pedantic I know but the 81-82 season games (6-0 4-1) weren't the last times we played them.
    We played them 82-83 - still didn't do too badly. 1-0 win at Millmoor and 1-1 draw at Chelsea
    Fair point wrinkly. Ive just looked up our head to head versus chelsea. We haven't played them very often, but we have a positive win ratio:

Won 3
    Drawn 1
    Lost 2

And the two defeats were the first two times we played them.

When City can beat a top six Premier side by a score like this our result against them in the cup doesn't look so bad

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    Fair point wrinkly. Ive just looked up our head to head versus chelsea. We haven't played them very often, but we have a positive win ratio:

Won 3
    Drawn 1
    Lost 2

And the two defeats were the first two times we played them.

You're right mate we certainly "own" Chelsea with 3 wins and a draw out of our last 4 meetings.

I often listen to Talksport radio when I'm driving (god knows why). A few years ago one of the presenters, Andy Jacobs, was interviewing a manager whose team had just played us at NYS.
    "they call it New York Stadium. Huh! what's so "New York" about it?" he asked the manager (whose name escapes me)
    Credit to the interviewee who said:
    "It's a very nice stadium. I understand it's named after the area it was built in which was called New York years ago"
    There was no disguising the animosity towards our club from Jacobs.

I've often thought about that interview and wondered if Jacobs, a Chelsea fan, never got over the double drubbing from us.
    I've just looked at his twitter page and, lo and behold, one of his recent tweets:
    "Some Chelsea fans going mad about losing to Bournemouth 4-0 they should remember losing to Rotherham 6-0 in the old Div 2"
    Well you've obviously not forgotten it Jacobs. I certainly never will

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12