Get your very own personalised football gifts!
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Back To Business

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Dumfries
    Posts
    6,830

    Back To Business

    Scottish Cup is over so its back to the bread and butter. We have some REAL work to do now to consolidate our Championship place never mind anything else. Falkirk and Partick Thistle now have their tails up and hunting for those immediately above them ie teams like us. Falkirks win at Alloa might have passed by pretty quietly but I thought it was a real turning point in the Championship . Alloa's brave resistance was finally overtaken by the Bairns and I cant see them finishing anywhere but bottom now. A sobering thought for us is the fact Stephen Dobbie has 38 goals and we are only mid table. We are often labelled a one man team and although thats pretty cruel on the other players there is more than a hint of truth in it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Scottish Cup is over so its back to the bread and butter. We have some REAL work to do now to consolidate our Championship place never mind anything else. Falkirk and Partick Thistle now have their tails up and hunting for those immediately above them ie teams like us. Falkirks win at Alloa might have passed by pretty quietly but I thought it was a real turning point in the Championship . Alloa's brave resistance was finally overtaken by the Bairns and I cant see them finishing anywhere but bottom now. A sobering thought for us is the fact Stephen Dobbie has 38 goals and we are only mid table. We are often labelled a one man team and although thats pretty cruel on the other players there is more than a hint of truth in it.
    Defo need to get some points on the board quickly as we are now only 7 points above second bottom with the improved form of Falkirk and, although at the foot of the table, Partick Thistle. - come on Queens !

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,560
    Totally agree JR.

    As I suggested in the January window, Partick and Falkirk would not end up bottom, - and if we are not extremely careful, we could be overtaken by one or both, - which is arguably the most sobering thought of all.

    It is easy to feel sorry for ourselves after yesterday's result and bemoan the penalty that wasn't........ but that is behind us and Dundee Utd will certainly not give us any comfort whatsoever. They will come to Palmerston on Saturday full of confidence after seeing off St. Mirren in the Scottish Cup, - so it will be a very hard game indeed.

    On the positive front, - they will bring a healthy support, - so there should be a decent atmosphere.......so get yourself along to the match and blow away those winter cobwebs!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Totally agree JR.

    As I suggested in the January window, Partick and Falkirk would not end up bottom, - and if we are not extremely careful, we could be overtaken by one or both, - which is arguably the most sobering thought of all.

    It is easy to feel sorry for ourselves after yesterday's result and bemoan the penalty that wasn't........ but that is behind us and Dundee Utd will certainly not give us any comfort whatsoever. They will come to Palmerston on Saturday full of confidence after seeing off St. Mirren in the Scottish Cup, - so it will be a very hard game indeed.

    On the positive front, - they will bring a healthy support, - so there should be a decent atmosphere.......so get yourself along to the match and blow away those winter cobwebs!
    Losing back to back games against Partick & Falkirk has put us under pressure. If we lose and Saturday and Partick win at Alloa then things will get very interesting indeed. Falkirk have a free weekend as Ross County are up against East Fife in the IRN-BRU Cup semi-Final.
    This is going to be a nerve wracking end to the season

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    298

    Where are the missing fans ?

    Crowds have slowly dwindling over the past few years and you only have to look at our recent account results to see how much itís affecting us off the field.

    Where are you ? Why arenít you coming along and supporting your team ? Weíre one of the cheapest in the league and are unbelievably lucky to have a guy called Stephen Dobbie playing for us.

    Would love to hear from people who donít post on this forum very much your thoughts on this please.

    Low attendances and the terrible yearly financial figures are a MASSIVE worry.
    Iím really surprised itís not been talked about more on social media sites.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,295
    The league is crazy this year. Usually there are two teams struggling. Two or three teams who are streets ahead and the rest battling it out in the middle.
    Up to the transfer window everyone has been beating each other so it's kept the division wafer tight with no points gulf between bottom to middle.

    Alloa have to be favourite for the drop. Even if worse case scenario and we ended up in a relegation play off there is no way we are worse than anyone in the league below.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    623
    "Alloa have to be favourite for the drop. Even if worse case scenario and we ended up in a relegation play off there is no way we are worse than anyone in the league below"
    East Fife excepted presumably?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Deepest Cumbria
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans View Post
    The league is crazy this year. Usually there are two teams struggling. Two or three teams who are streets ahead and the rest battling it out in the middle.
    Up to the transfer window everyone has been beating each other so it's kept the division wafer tight with no points gulf between bottom to middle.

    Alloa have to be favourite for the drop. Even if worse case scenario and we ended up in a relegation play off there is no way we are worse than anyone in the league below.
    Come on-we are bang in the mix for a play off spot, have recruited well and there are plenty of battles ahead so let's push on and park any talk of relegation battles for now. As everyone has said, on our day, we can and have beaten anyone in this league so let's start with the currently high flying Dundee United this Saturday and hopefully we can have a near full squad to choose from to send them packing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,560
    Spike, I tend to agree with you, but this league is a bit like an episode of Dad's Army, - like the characters you simply have no idea what some of the teams are going to do.

    Queens have the squad that should see them scrape into the play offs for the SPL, - but if they do not give 100% in every game, - they could very much find themselves in the opposite play offs.

    They need to look at the league as a series of Cup Finals starting with Dundee Utd this Saturday.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Spike, I tend to agree with you, but this league is a bit like an episode of Dad's Army, - like the characters you simply have no idea what some of the teams are going to do.

    Queens have the squad that should see them scrape into the play offs for the SPL, - but if they do not give 100% in every game, - they could very much find themselves in the opposite play offs.

    They need to look at the league as a series of Cup Finals starting with Dundee Utd this Saturday.
    Absolutely spot - on post Jardi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •