+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the missing fans ?

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    " aloreburn ,what do you class as queens showing ambition ,the board keeping queens fulltime while making a loss ? prob good enough ambition for a faithful fan ,sitting mid championship punching for a playoff ? accepteble to the faithful fan again ,but go ask a floater or a none queens fan what thay class as showing ambition ,see what there answers are ,after all those are the target people queens need at palmy ,the faithful will always be there ."

Francis, I feel and understand your frustration, but a sense of realism is required.

Of course there will be many more who might come to Palmerston if the club showed "ambition" as you see it, - just as quite a number of people would fly from Dumfries if we built an airport, - but the economies of scale are simply not there to allow either of those pipe dreams to happen.

The reality is that Queens have just made a loss of £200K for the season which equates to requiring another 1000 people through the gates at every home match just to break even!

Now if you can take a wee bit of time to think about that sobering thought and perhaps come up with valid proposals to assist the BOD in persuading an extra 1000 people to come along to Palmy (every other week) that would be a fantastic help, because then the club could realistically look at taking the next step.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, - it is a massive ask, but one that is not impossible as Ross County attract incredible home gates at Dingwall which is a town considerably smaller than Annan! The hinterland (around Dingwall) is not one of great population either, and Inverness lies just across the bridge, so its not as though they are completely out on a limb.

Without being condescending, 'not being able to smoke at Palmerston' is not a valid reason for people not coming to games, - what we need to do is really think outside the box and ask why are Falkirk and Dunfermline able to attract over 4000 to their home matches? Those two towns are not dissimilar in size to Dumfries, yet they are very close to other centres of population and a plethora of football clubs. Most importantly of all, - why is Ross County able to host home gates in excess of 3000?

Perhaps some of us (if we have time) could take an in-depth look at how these clubs attract fans and see if some of those policies could be adopted or adapted at Queen of the South?
    The Ross County one is a strange one. They have in excess of 2000 season ticket holders and it`s accepted by their Chairman (stated in a recent radio interview) that a good number of those who have a season ticket don`t attend anywhere near every game. How do they achieve that? Oh for something similar with us.

I’ve got a season ticket and haven’t been to any games.

" aloreburn ,what do you class as queens showing ambition ,the board keeping queens fulltime while making a loss ? prob good enough ambition for a faithful fan ,sitting mid championship punching for a playoff ? accepteble to the faithful fan again ,but go ask a floater or a none queens fan what thay class as showing ambition ,see what there answers are ,after all those are the target people queens need at palmy ,the faithful will always be there ."

Francis, I feel and understand your frustration, but a sense of realism is required.

Of course there will be many more who might come to Palmerston if the club showed "ambition" as you see it, - just as quite a number of people would fly from Dumfries if we built an airport, - but the economies of scale are simply not there to allow either of those pipe dreams to happen.

The reality is that Queens have just made a loss of £200K for the season which equates to requiring another 1000 people through the gates at every home match just to break even!

Now if you can take a wee bit of time to think about that sobering thought and perhaps come up with valid proposals to assist the BOD in persuading an extra 1000 people to come along to Palmy (every other week) that would be a fantastic help, because then the club could realistically look at taking the next step.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, - it is a massive ask, but one that is not impossible as Ross County attract incredible home gates at Dingwall which is a town considerably smaller than Annan! The hinterland (around Dingwall) is not one of great population either, and Inverness lies just across the bridge, so its not as though they are completely out on a limb.

Without being condescending, 'not being able to smoke at Palmerston' is not a valid reason for people not coming to games, - what we need to do is really think outside the box and ask why are Falkirk and Dunfermline able to attract over 4000 to their home matches? Those two towns are not dissimilar in size to Dumfries, yet they are very close to other centres of population and a plethora of football clubs. Most importantly of all, - why is Ross County able to host home gates in excess of 3000?

Perhaps some of us (if we have time) could take an in-depth look at how these clubs attract fans and see if some of those policies could be adopted or adapted at Queen of the South?
    Do Ross County REALLY attract that many to their home games? On virtually every visit I have been there,the "official" support has seemed grossly inflated to me. IE a crowd given as 2800 or thereabouts when 2000 seemed nearer the mark.A perfect example was when it was announced that the "official" QOS travelling support was given as 33 when there was more than that on the travel club bus alone.I had a rough headcount of 80 or so.
    So Jardi take their "official" attendances with a pinch of salt.However,even taking into account the more realistic figures, that is still a good ratio of support turning out, given the size of the place.
    Edit...just seen Dobmeisters post.Kinda relevant to what I am saying.
    Last edited by Bagapapa; 13-02-2019 at 03:31 PM.

jardi i really do get what your saying but i am looking at it from a none queens fans point of view ,ie the target fans that queens need to make up that 1000 extra bums on seats you talk about ,these none queens fans dont give a damb about queens making a loss each year ,all these people see is queens sitting as a championship team struggling away to stay in it ,none of these people will start attending with that senario ,so realism isnt going to get these people to part with there cash to follow queens ,so i dont want to see people branding me in the same bracket as these fans ,as im only trying to point out there view of things not my own views .

Bagapapa, perhaps like many of the bigger clubs it may be that they count the season tickets holders as a given?

However, - as you infer that is largely irrelevant, it is the fact that they have 2000 season ticket holders in the first place.

I wonder if their chairman would share their envious success (of attracting fans) with Queens? It's not as if we are any threat to us as we are at opposite ends of the country, - a completely different matter if we were ICT trying to steal their business plan! Incidentally, ICT have only around 2000 home fans which is pretty poor given that the city of Inverness has a population of 67000, - roughly 60000 more than Dingwall!

Quote Originally Posted by Dobmeister View Post
    The Ross County one is a strange one. They have in excess of 2000 season ticket holders and it`s accepted by their Chairman (stated in a recent radio interview) that a good number of those who have a season ticket don`t attend anywhere near every game. How do they achieve that? Oh for something similar with us.
    I wonder if Queens count their absent season ticket holders as there are quite a few around where I sit and have never seen them occupied by the holders themselves over a number of years. Clearly some of these will be participants in the Shirt Sponsorship annual draw who are given a season ticket to encourage them to take part. You would have thought that they could have passed on these unwanted season tickets to family or friends who would appreciate them and get to see Queens for free but also boost the attendance figures. None of this would actually help the finances but it would boost the attendance and may have a knock on effect on other floaters although, going by the comments previously aired, this would seem unlikely.
    If there is anything to be gained by discussing this with Ross County then the club should actively pursue this but they may already have done so which gets us back to the lack of general communication from the board which may be the route of a number of the clubs issues.

I'm with Bagapapa on this one . I have been to games at Dingwall and think they inflate their attendances to make them look better.

Can anyone who attended Palmerston in the 60s / 70s tell us what kind other attractions were around in that era that stopped folk going to watch Queens ? I'm just curious after hearing all thats wrong nowadays .

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    I'm with Bagapapa on this one . I have been to games at Dingwall and think they inflate their attendances to make them look better.
    This mystery of the attendances at Dingwall has been going on for many, many years and I have yet to see a proper explanation - it just does not make sense with the tiny population in the town but Inverness just a few miles away sometimes playing in front of less fans !

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    This mystery of the attendances at Dingwall has been going on for many, many years and I have yet to see a proper explanation - it just does not make sense with the tiny population in the town but Inverness just a few miles away sometimes playing in front of less fans !

ross co attract fans from far and wide throu the top off the highlands ,last time i was up there ,i was having a pint in the bar at the railway station and was speaking with a county fan from wick ,and we got talking about counties support and according to him thay get a hell of alot of fans from other towns supporting them he was part of there wick supporters branch which he says brings 2 busloads to county games from wick ,and he says most fans up that way support ross co ,whereas inverness seem to just have mostly from there own town .ho0wever it has been a good few seasons since i was last up there and spoke with that guy ,dont know about nowadays likes .
    Last edited by Francis_begbie_HFC; 13-02-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)