+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the missing fans ?

Quote Originally Posted by Truthhurts View Post
    We are a team that have not played in the top division in most of our lifetimes.
    Despite our relative successes of recent times I think that is a very valid point Truthhurts. I`m old enough to have been born when we last played top flight but never saw a game at that level, the team being relegated when I was 5 or 6.
    I never for a moment thought we`d reach a Scottish Cup Final and in fact I was ecstatic when we reached the semis that season and Europe was never even a dream. All that said it`s a big miss that we haven`t played in the top league since the early 60s when many clubs of similar or even lesser stature have done so in that time. Many folk of my vintage grew up hearing the widely held view that QOS didn`t want promotion.

If only we had a talismanic striker to (possibly) score 40+ goals in a season. Surely that would pull the crowds in.

Joking apart and as Jardi has so eloquently highlighted it`s time to look forwards and see if we can come up with even small but sustainable gains. We can`t change the past even if we want to.

I have asked in my time a lot of locals who like football, why don't they go to Palmerston, the two most popular answers are, Queens just want to stay n the Championship and have a good Scottish cup run, they don't want promotion, and the other being, they would rather watch the big English games on the telly.

Quote Originally Posted by The caulback View Post
    I have asked in my time a lot of locals who like football, why don't they go to Palmerston, the two most popular answers are, Queens just want to stay n the Championship and have a good Scottish cup run, they don't want promotion, and the other being, they would rather watch the big English games on the telly.
    I know I have mentioned this previously,but,going back to the Guid Nychburris parade in the Scottish Cup final year.
    I was handing out the goody bags alongside the Queens float.
    On the Monday after,a wee guy around 8 or 9 years old at Burns Statue bus stop said to me "Hey Mister you gave me a goody bag at the parade" To which I replied "Oh aye and did you like it?" "Aye" he replied.Then I asked "Are you coming to watch Queens next season?" "Naw" was his answer.When I asked why not,his answer was........"Ma Dad says they're Sh!te!" What can you do??? Seems things are more or less the same now.

Bagapapa, that's the crux of the problem, - changing that attitude and getting the kids to see for themselves that Queens are not "quite" ........what their father thinks!

Enticing the kids to the ground is one thing, repeating that process is quite another. Nowadays kids require almost immediate satisfaction and so some sort of hands on approach is necessary - and as I keep proposing, - real interaction and involvement with the players so that they really feel part of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Bagapapa, that's the crux of the problem, - changing that attitude and getting the kids to see for themselves that Queens are not "quite" ........what their father thinks!

Enticing the kids to the ground is one thing, repeating that process is quite another. Nowadays kids require almost immediate satisfaction and so some sort of hands on approach is necessary - and as I keep proposing, - real interaction and involvement with the players so that they really feel part of the club.
    We’ve over 400 junior blues this season and the young team behind the goals are a breath of fresh air in and around Palmerston.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthhurts View Post
    We are a team that have not played in the top division in most of our lifetimes.
    I am not quite, very nearly though, of the vintage to remember the days when Queens were in the top league but to put things into perspective what was the size of the top division back in the early 1960's? I am under the impression that it was much larger in them days, although I stand to be corrected on this, so if this was the case then wouldn't a 4th place finish in the current Championship equate to a spot in the top league back in the day?

They absolutely are, - and that's a real positive vibe Aloreburn.

Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    We’ve over 400 junior blues this season and the young team behind the goals are a breath of fresh air in and around Palmerston.
    And long may it continue unmolested.

Unmolested. Correct! Thankfully the stewarding seems to be less "officious" this season. Hence the great noise and support from the young uns. It's these wee guys that have to try to persuade their pals that Palmerston is the place to come if they want to let off some steam and have a carry on, as long as they are allowed and it is not offensive to anyone.

Firstly , this is a very interesting thread . Everyone with our best wishes at heart having a frank discussion about probably our biggest bugbear ( attendances). I was only questioning bygone years low attendances because I think there is a tendency - as we get older - to look at the past with 'rose tinted specs' on. The lack of responses to my question makes me think those that think the seventies was a golden period probably had these specs on . Every generation since around 1963 has had lowish crowds at Palmerston . This is the year our crowds dropped off the proverbial cliff and this is why there is no quick fix to our problem . I grew up during the Willie Harkness era and you were considered a bit odd if you supported Queens . Thankfully , people have more respect for us now but the respect issue has been replaced by an apathy one . One shining light is indeed the young ones who have added greatly to the match atmosphere. We must do everything to keep them coming and indeed encourage them to bring their pals. These guys ( and girls) are our future and they HAVE to carry on the baton after we lay it down.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 14-02-2019 at 10:04 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)