+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the missing fans ?

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Firstly , this is a very interesting thread . Everyone with our best wishes at heart having a frank discussion about probably our biggest bugbear ( attendances). I was only questioning bygone years low attendances because I think there is a tendency - as we get older - to look at the past with 'rose tinted specs' on. The lack of responses to my question makes me think those that think the seventies was a golden period probably had these specs on . Every generation since around 1963 has had lowish crowds at Palmerston . This is the year our crowds dropped off the proverbial cliff and this is why there is no quick fix to our problem . I grew up during the Willie Harkness era and you were considered a bit odd if you supported Queens . Thankfully , people have more respect for us now but the respect issue has been replaced by an apathy one . One shining light is indeed the young ones who have added greatly to the match atmosphere. We must do everything to keep them coming and indeed encourage them to bring their pals. These guys ( and girls) are our future and they HAVE to carry on the baton after we lay it down.

yep spot on jr ,i can remember when it was us in the centre of that terrace jr ,and all our queens pals when we were that age ,songs have slightly changed tho lol ,but it makes me think jr how many of the ladsd we used to stand with in those days still go there was hundreds of them at times ,i reckon we could count in 1 hand possibly 2 hands the ones that still go .,what you say jr out the ones left from our young time ,me, you ,r corbett,a ritchie ,canny think of anymore of top of my head that still go ,but i could name about 50 or so that dont attend anymore mate .

even myself am not at all the games anymore just cant afford it at times .
    Last edited by Francis_begbie_HFC; 14-02-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    I am not quite, very nearly though, of the vintage to remember the days when Queens were in the top league but to put things into perspective what was the size of the top division back in the early 1960's? I am under the impression that it was much larger in them days, although I stand to be corrected on this, so if this was the case then wouldn't a 4th place finish in the current Championship equate to a spot in the top league back in the day?
    FAO Spike - Queens were relegated from the 18 - team league 1963 - 64 winning only 5 of the 34 games !

Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    We’ve over 400 junior blues this season and the young team behind the goals are a breath of fresh air in and around Palmerston.
    This is exactly the sort of thing we need to grow on. Great to see our fans and the young team in particular getting praise from Aberdeen folk after our visit last weekend. These folk and those coming through are the future of our great club.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    FAO Spike - Queens were relegated from the 18 - team league 1963 - 64 winning only 5 of the 34 games !
    Thanks Ftivano and that does put our current league position into much better and realistic perspective.

I am just beginning to wonder if this perceived lack of ambition and/or supposedly contentment with a mid table position is based upon the fact that whenever we have a modicum of success we know that the inevitable plundering of the management as well as any real talent on the pitch will happen. This is the biggest frustration I have with supporting the Queens over the years but have possibly just come to accept that this is the way of football especially in they money orientated world that it now clearly operates in. You cannot fault the management or the players seeing to maximise their income by following the cash to where ever that is being offered as it is their careers and families that they have to think about and this is why Dobbie is so unique and special to the club at this stage of his footballing life.
    Not sure how this can ever be resolved because even at the top end of the Scottish game the big two are vulnerable to mediocre English Premier and Championship sides offering more that they can offer because of Sky's ludicrous amounts of TV money but again you cannot blame those clubs for grabbing what is offered to them. Ultimately it may end up with only the mega rich and then we will have no option other than choosing one of those to support as the grass roots wither and die or the money can be more evenly distributed so that real decent earnings can be made by those who are prepared to continue to play at the level Queens are at.
    We are ultimately at a crossroads with respect to full time football as the recently disclosed accounts show that with the current levels of income the club cannot continue on a full time basis unless the Dumfries public come out to show that this is not what they desire. If we are to return to part time status then the future and crowds will really be bleak indeed.

If they end up going part time, that will be the end, they would then slip down the league's, and the crowds would be even smaller, what's the answer, I don't know, but stopping the youngsters from using a megaphone is not the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by The caulback View Post
    If they end up going part time, that will be the end, they would then slip down the league's, and the crowds would be even smaller, what's the answer, I don't know, but stopping the youngsters from using a megaphone is not the answer.
    This . Part time football is an option but not a good one . Watching Brechin City and the likes ( no disrespect) would send interest in the team plummeting to the bottom . The age old problems of paying travelling expenses to part time players and paying employers so their employees can take time off work to come to play for us would resurface. That and organising training twice a week sonewhere in the central belt with players arriving after work and any Dumfries boys having to travel up their to train would be a nighmare . I'd much rather we look at every avenue to keep FT football at Queens .

A lot of interesting reading here and what sticks out is the image of qos amongst a lot of the locals in dumfries. I attend almost all home games and the odd away game. But every Saturday I'll travell to watch a match if queens are away.
    The one thing that is different between qos and a lot of clubs down south is that queens only offer football as entertainment, nothing else.
    If you go to Liverpool or man city you can have a day out prior to a game with the entertainment that is provided. Local bands playing on stages, community coaches taking kids for sessions for £3 prior to a match, outside bars where parents can have a drink while the kids are getting coached. Big screens showing old games. There is so much more on offer than just the game.
    I'm not saying queens can do all of this but I'm sure local bands would jump at the chance to play around Palmerston prior to a game and maybe having pipe bands playing inside the ground. They get the exposure and it attracts crowds to the ground and builds an atmosphere about the place. As it stands we pay our money and all that is on offer is the football which isn't enough for some

The half time entertainment is dismal, even playing music would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    A lot of interesting reading here and what sticks out is the image of qos amongst a lot of the locals in dumfries. I attend almost all home games and the odd away game. But every Saturday I'll travell to watch a match if queens are away.
    The one thing that is different between qos and a lot of clubs down south is that queens only offer football as entertainment, nothing else.
    If you go to Liverpool or man city you can have a day out prior to a game with the entertainment that is provided. Local bands playing on stages, community coaches taking kids for sessions for £3 prior to a match, outside bars where parents can have a drink while the kids are getting coached. Big screens showing old games. There is so much more on offer than just the game.
    I'm not saying queens can do all of this but I'm sure local bands would jump at the chance to play around Palmerston prior to a game and maybe having pipe bands playing inside the ground. They get the exposure and it attracts crowds to the ground and builds an atmosphere about the place. As it stands we pay our money and all that is on offer is the football which isn't enough for some
    Bands a great idea. One thing about Dumfries is its music mad with some good local bands who pack out pubs in the town. Palmerston would be a bigger platform for them. I remember how well the pre match band went down with the travelling Doonhamers in Oswestry last season.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 15-02-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)