+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sir Charlie 12.2.94

Sir Charlie 12.2.94

25 years ago today.Seems like yesterday. COYP

"Meadow Lane is alive!"

Wow. I remember that game so well. Sad that we've not met them in the league since. By the looks of things it'll probably be another 25 years before we do too.

That season was the best. So many great fixtures against local teams - Forest, Derby, Leicester, Wolves, Birmingham, West Brom.

I started watching Notts a couple of years before, but 1993/94 was the first season that I really remember being totally hooked by it. Loved the team we had then, and Mick Walker did a great job (until it all went wrong, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    That season was the best. So many great fixtures against local teams - Forest, Derby, Leicester, Wolves, Birmingham, West Brom.

I started watching Notts a couple of years before, but 1993/94 was the first season that I really remember being totally hooked by it. Loved the team we had then, and Mick Walker did a great job (until it all went wrong, of course).
    Probably my favourite season having been to my first game in January '89. It had everything - exciting signings who fitted in and were hugely popular, a nucleus of promising homegrown youngsters, 3 quarters of a new ground, victories against everyone who mattered (absolutely playing Leicester and Derby off the park), a trip to Wembley, Sir Charlie Day and consistently brilliant football, even if we were a bit feeble away from home.

Despite F****t's best efforts from time to time I can't see our paths crossing in the league for I don't know how long. That said if that's my last memory of a league derby then It's not a bad one to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_Bresslaw View Post
    Probably my favourite season having been to my first game in January '89. It had everything - exciting signings who fitted in and were hugely popular, a nucleus of promising homegrown youngsters, 3 quarters of a new ground, victories against everyone who mattered (absolutely playing Leicester and Derby off the park), a trip to Wembley, Sir Charlie Day and consistently brilliant football, even if we were a bit feeble away from home.

Despite F****t's best efforts from time to time I can't see our paths crossing in the league for I don't know how long. That said if that's my last memory of a league derby then It's not a bad one to have.
    That's exactly how I remember it. We seemed to have a great mixture of seasoned club stalwarts like Turner, Yates, Lund and Cherry, with a smattering of exciting youngsters, like Matthews, Devlin, and Johnson. Then we had some real quality with the likes of Draper and McSwegan. Even Agana was good! Just not at scoring.

I remember going down to Wembley on a coach that my school had put on, and having my face painted black and white. Great times.

Like you said, I can't see us playing Forest again in my lifetime - unless something extraordinary happened. We'd need a mega-rich owner and a bit of luck. Can't see either happening.

I remember it because I had a really gobby F****t fan behind me in the County Road Stand, and when we equalised he became less so and when Charlie scored he vanished up his own backside! The joy!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Wow. I remember that game so well. Sad that we've not met them in the league since. By the looks of things it'll probably be another 25 years before we do too.
    No not that long this time Dave... I don't think they'll go up this year

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    No not that long this time Dave... I don't think they'll go up this year
    They are currently only two divisions higher than us. The Championship shouldn't be out of reach with the club properly managed. The problem of the last 20 years is the constant chopping and changing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast