+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Gordon Banks

RIP Gordon Banks

Brilliant keeper and WC winner.

Best wishes to his family.

As a ten year old in 1971 he came to a local primary school and I got his autograph.

I had a middle page spread from Shoot magazine of him making a miraculous penalty save from West Ham’s Geoff Hurst in the Stoke 1972 League Cup winning campaign in the semi final.

A very nice man who never complained about cruelly losing his eye in a car crash.

An absolute giant of the game.

R.I.P.

Just the most brilliant keeper ever. I remember being taken out for a picnic by my aunt and uncle but wanting desperately to get home so I could get to the game against Stoke in 1970. I really wanted to see Banks and couldn't believe it when we stuck five past them. As my brother and I walked away from the ground afterwards we overheard a Stoke supporter say, "He has one bad game a season and that was it!" A phenomenon.

We put a 6 two 5's and a 3 past Banks in games for Leicester and Stoke at the Hawthorns during the 60's and early 70. We always seemed to get loads of goals v Banks, Booby Moore and Man Utd in those days.

Would probably be the only Englishman I would consider for an all time World X1.

Still sends a tingle down the spine watching Banks save that Pele header.

https://tinyurl.com/y3e4hsm9

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    We put a 6 two 5's and a 3 past Banks in games for Leicester and Stoke at the Hawthorns during the 60's and early 70. We always seemed to get loads of goals v Banks,
    He was still scared stiff of the King.How many people remember that ? Great keeper non the less

So sad to hear this news. I've got a picture on my office wall at home of Banks'y making that save from Pele. He signed it for me at a after dinner event. A genuinely nice modest man. What makes it all the more sad is that its yet another piece of our footballing past that's left us, representative of a time when footballers however great on the field connected with the supporters and weren't the headphone wearing millionaires hiding behind a security screen.

It's interesting that when FIFA voted their all time World X1 voted by 70 or so of the leading sports journalists globally , the only Englishman to get in to the side was Bobby Moore. Banks came a runner up to Lev Yashin who many considered the best keeper ever. I'd say that most likely made Banks the best English keeper ever. RIP. Will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Still sends a tingle down the spine watching Banks save that Pele header.

https://tinyurl.com/y3e4hsm9
    What always struck me about that save was this.....he made arguable one of the best saves ever from one of the beast players ever against one of the best teams ever.....and just got up and got ready for the corner. No high fives from team mates...just play the game.
    So much BS attached to the game today...

REST IN PEACE dear friend...

It totally slipped my mind, and my Dad reminded me that I actually met and shook the (big) hand of the great man when I was younger when he was doing a guest appearance at a new opening of this or other building.

He was a gent.

It was interesting that last night local new varied so much with ITV concentrating on his Stoke days (very sad as he and 3 other former Stoke players including our ex manager went for a walk every Tuesday at Trentham Gardens) and BBC on his time at the Foxes.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)