+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT - Crikey! Some Good Rotherham News

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Oops, that'll be no good then.

No it isn’t

The recently built factory is just over the border in Sheffield

Check it on the map

Does all this mean we can have a council tax reduction 👅 ..or maybe the potholes filled in...and are the jobs minimum wage ?

The point I'd make on this is similar to the one I made regarding retail in Rotherham. In that thread (before the liberation front hijacked it) was that retail in Rotherham is booming, it just isnt in the town centre anymore.

This study shows, similarly, that the Rotherham economy is doing extremely well (after the massive hits it took in the 80s and 90s). Look at manvers. Look at catcliffe/waverley. Look at parkgate. The industrial parks in dinnington, etc, etc. Sadly, none of the success is manifesting in the town centre. The Rotherham economy in comparison to neighbouring boroughs (barnsley for example) is doing exceptionally well.

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    The point I'd make on this is similar to the one I made regarding retail in Rotherham. In that thread (before the liberation front hijacked it) was that retail in Rotherham is booming, it just isnt in the town centre anymore.

This study shows, similarly, that the Rotherham economy is doing extremely well (after the massive hits it took in the 80s and 90s). Look at manvers. Look at catcliffe/waverley. Look at parkgate. The industrial parks in dinnington, etc, etc. Sadly, none of the success is manifesting in the town centre. The Rotherham economy in comparison to neighbouring boroughs (barnsley for example) is doing exceptionally well.
    Absolutely right gkotw.

This is all the result of forward planning by our local council from the late 1980s. It was done with the help of government tax breaks, grants and, dare I say it, EU Regional Development Funding.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Is it?
    Part in Sheffield and part in Rotherham

AMRC Factory 2050 and Royce Translational Centre (RTC)
    Sheffield Business Park
    Europa Avenue
    Sheffield
    S9 1ZA

AMRC with Boeing
    Factory of the Future
    Advanced Manufacturing Park
    Wallis Way, Catcliffe
    Rotherham
    S60 5TZ

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Absolutely right gkotw.

This is all the result of forward planning by our local council from the late 1980s. It was done with the help of government tax breaks, grants and, dare I say it, EU Regional Development Funding.
    So they actually planned to let the town centre go to ruin?

Problem is, people aren't going to look at Rotherham and think, this industrial park is doing well, they're going to come to town and think "what a craphole".

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Part in Sheffield and part in Rotherham

AMRC Factory 2050 and Royce Translational Centre (RTC)
    Sheffield Business Park
    Europa Avenue
    Sheffield
    S9 1ZA

AMRC with Boeing
    Factory of the Future
    Advanced Manufacturing Park
    Wallis Way, Catcliffe
    Rotherham
    S60 5TZ
    That may be so. However as I said the new Boeing factory that they built and opened in October 2018 is firmly in Sheffield.

As the AMRC is just in Rotherham the Boeing new factory is just in Sheffield. Its a quirk of where the geographically boundary is.

Amazon have just cancelled their plans for a campus in New York (US) so maybe Rotherham can make a pitch for them to come to New York (SY). You too can then have all the complaints people here in Seattle have of their presence (50,000 jobs and strain on the infrastructure)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Amazon have just cancelled their plans for a campus in New York (US) so maybe Rotherham can make a pitch for them to come to New York (SY). You too can then have all the complaints people here in Seattle have of their presence (50,000 jobs and strain on the infrastructure)

Amazon Doncaster already employs 1000 regular staff. At busy times like Christmas and Black Friday they employ up to 800 temporary people to add to that number.

So if Amazon move more jobs as you suggest it’s likely to be to Donny.

( cue naysayers to blather on about brexit effect)

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Amazon Doncaster already employs 1000 regular staff. At busy times like Christmas and Black Friday they employ up to 800 temporary people to add to that number.

So if Amazon move more jobs as you suggest it’s likely to be to Donny.

( cue naysayers to blather on about brexit effect)
    The 50,000 here are HQ/Management/IT jobs not warehouse jobs and I think the one in NY was to create another 25,000.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast