+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: O/T lowlifes

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Am not on abart Kerr Acido !
    Err I know that Roma, and this insignificant Kerr kid never came into my mind, so Im not on about it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    As opposed to some other people who do plan to get caught. Does anyone plan to get caught?
    A few years ago our house was broken into & a few items stolen when we were out
    The perps were caught eventually & we were advised that they had admitted to 5 or 6 other such crimes that they chose to have taken into consideration
    They were given community service orders
    The final comment from the Police after sentencing had been carried out was "your properety was not recovered"
    Take it from me it was not the loss of our items but rather the many many sleepless nights wondering who had been in our house & bedroom.You could even see the muddy footprints all over where the two of them had been
    I don't think the solicitors,courts,magistrates actually understand or even care about these effects of such crimes
    If your burglary was a night time 'creeper' job then the court that dealt with the offenders were very lenient. Even for someone without pre-cons, you'd expect an immediate custodial sentence as the courts recognise the impact and risk to the householder should a confrontation occur.

My guess would be that your offenders were kids?

House burglary is an interesting one. I had a regular client who I liked who got caught for a raft of creeper jobs. During a lull in proceedings one day, I asked him why he was risking a long sentence for peanuts when he could make far more turning over, say, a newsagent for a bin bag full of fags - in and out in two minutes.. He told me he liked the thrill of being in someone's house. Chilling stuff for sure, but it demonstrates how complex crime is; he was addicted to creeper burglaries and I don't think the fear of a sentence would be enough to stop it
    Last edited by KerrAvon; 13-02-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Somebody doing a cash in transit robbery certainly plans not to get caught, because they know the starting price is around 8 years. Most villains would fear that even if they are used to doing time (as these lads almost certainly will be).

If the lads who did this job are careful, not greedy and not unlucky, the odds are against them being caught. In my experience, however, the likelihood of them not being greedy is low and they will keep on throwing the dice until they are unlucky.

I don't like crime being committed against anyone; sometimes I prosecute and sometimes I defend. It's just a job. I don't have to like what my clients do, but everyone is entitled to a fair hearing with the case against them either being proved or not as the evidence dictates.
    And in the meantime victims and or future victims? Will have to suffer further , both financially and possibly health wise , because of these types , don't you feel ,even a little bit embarrased making money defending them ?

Am not on abart Kerr Acido !
    Don't worry about it. I'm used to it. I sometimes pretend to be an accountant when I meet new people. My partner calls them: ' the dinner party questions' - how can you defend someone who you know is guilty? etc. and sometimes, I can't be bothered answering them.

It's just a job. A lawyer risks prison and being struck off if they knowingly mislead a court. If someone tells you they are guilty, you cannot advance a positive case - i.e. tell a court that they aren't. You can argue that the prosecution haven't proved that they are.

And in the meantime victims and or future victims? Will have to suffer further , both financially and possibly health wise , because of these types , don't you feel ,even a little bit embarrased making money defending them ?
    I do prosecute too.

Suppose you were accused of something you hadn't done. Would you want a lawyer to give it all they'd got to defend you, or would you want them to judge you and be squeamish about arguing your case?

I'm not worried about It at all , I sometimes pretend at dinner parties , that I'm a Solicitor , nowing full well If I ( forgive me ) tel a lie , I won't feel bad about It,
    !! Ciao .

I do prosecute too.

Suppose you were accused of something you hadn't done. Would you want a lawyer to give it all they'd got to defend you, or would you want them to judge you and be squeamish about arguing your case?
    Today is not just about me , i've seen this before as previously stated , it's about the others who were there , particularly the Securicor guard, elderly people who saw this attack , anybody there didn't want or would have chose to see this today , and who defends them or offers help ? It could be months or even years before some are effected by today's events

I do prosecute too.

I actually agree with Kerr on this one
    When a client is represented in court it is up to the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt the guilt of a defendant
    A brief would be doing less than his duty if he failed to defend to the best of his ability
    I think Kerr might confirm however that prosecuting as opposed to defending is far less financially rewarding & I think although I may be mistaken the "better" briefs will gravitate towards the defending option because not to put too fine a point on it,it pays better
    I maintain it's our sentencing rules that need attention & better pay for prosecuting briefs or dare I say not so much pay for defending ones
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 13-02-2019 at 10:02 PM.

As a supplement
    If a client admits his guilt to a brief [in confidence of course] but still wishes to enter a not guilty plea, how do you deal with that
    Do you still give it your best shot or do you just make a half-hearted attempt to defend or refuse to represent
    No hidden agenda here, just a genuine question

If I were a yung 'un nardays ad emigrate to sumweear like Australia. This country is gooin darnhill fast. Thuz mooar and mooar low life abart who ev no intention of doing a bit of graft in a job and instead are happy to steal what they can azza lifestyle to feed a drug habit or to finance a lazy, scumbag life. The tipping point ez been reached. Thuz mooar and mooar of 'em evvin an increasing effect on decent fooak.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast