+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Middlesboro(home)predictions

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I have paid to watch the replay of the Bristol City game. As my cousin said, it was very even, and they are on a superb run.
    Champs, I saw no evidence at all in that game to suggest the players aren't trying. Same in the second half against Boro. The first-half performance was unrecognisable and unacceptable, I agree. Mowbray DIDN'T accept it. He changed three players at the interval. How often does that happen?
    Couldn't we just agree we're on a bad run without trying to read too much into it?
    We have mainly used our D.1 players, and I never thought for a minute they would be good enough to gain promotion. I can't see why you thought that was a possibility.
    This is nothing to do with "little old Blackburn" and all that. It's just the reality of our squad.
    Should we have invested heavily in January? Who knows, but how often do January purchases do spectacularly well? As I said, Mowbray was clearly not prepared to buy in a sellers' market. Fair enough.
    Why has everyone suddenly decided Lenihan, Mulgrew and Rodwell are not "proper" centre-halves? Who was saying that a month ago?
    I agree the defence looks shaky at the moment, but a lot of that is down to low confidence. Claiming that several players are not in their best positions is stabbing in the dark. Where SHOULD Mulgrew play? And Rodwell, even?
    I didn't want Downing to leave, but let's be honest - there's a load of hypocrisy surrounding that issue too. Early in the season, he was described as a D.1 workhorse (or even "donkey"!) Now he's gone, we've apparently shipped out a Tony Adams!
    This is football, for heaven's sake - in one of the most competitive Leagues in the world! It's not just a question of the manager picking the "best" team...and hey presto!
    At the moment, everything is Mowbray's fault. If, by some chance, we do beat Birmingham, it will be nothing to do with him!!!
    Such is the nature of much of our "support".

I am backing down the longer the week goes on. But I still remain with a feeling of being really let down by a bunch of lads and manager I had a lot of faith in. Maybe that my fault?

I was saying this elsewhere about Downing. Players who don't play football matches suddenly get legendary status.
    Its not really the point though, I'm not even demanding he stayed? Just why didn't we replace him? We had already been shipping goals over the season, and at least one of our centre halves (from Rodwell, Mulgrew and Lenihan) has been injured at some point this season. And it was nieve to leave us so light. In an area we have struggled. Our GD is poor. When we where in the top half of the table, ours was much much worse than any other side. Our defence is, and has been one of the poorest in the division. Taking out the odd, short run when Mulgrew didn't play.
    It hasn't been addressed, and is now really catching up with us. While I don't believe Downing was the answer, he certainly was capable of staying around and stepping in to do a job for us. Right now, he is a far better option than Charlie. This could've been easily avoided.
    I am saying Mulgrew isn't a centre half. He hasn't played in that position in his career. Last time we played in the Champ, we went down, and shipped goals. He played his part in that. Throughout his career, he hasn't played much in this position, nor been effective. Apart from in Div1. I am also saying Rodwell isn't a centre half. Again, he hasn't played there in his career. He looks steady next to Lenihan, but for every decent game he had, like home to Hull. He also played and was pathetic vrs Brentford, when we shipped 5 goals. He was embarrassing that day.
    Lenihan is our only centre half, but also not perfect. But paired with Rodwell, they look ok.
    2 non centre halves together, Mulgrew and Rodwell, looks disastrous.

That's the not the most concerning thing, his constant changing of the tactics, personelle, sometimes mid half (like on Sunday) smacks of a guy who isn't sure what he is doing anymore. We set up so poorly vrs Boro, he HAD to change it in the first half. And the second tactical change didn't work either.

as I have always maintained, you learn nothing about your manager and players when things are going well, you only find out what they are made of when things are going wrong. How will they react? Will TM find the answers?

On sunday, that performance was as bad as anything under Coyle. But I will be fair and say it was one shocking performance, which hopefully can be marked as a one off. The poor results of late are maybe just a bad run? We will find out over the next few games, if the rot has set in, or if we can move past this.

I agree he made an error of judgement in that first half. I suspect the thought Boro might have been weakened because of their absentees, and went for an attacking line-up. Unfortunately, several of our most consistent players spent the half giving the ball away, so mounting attacks was impossible.
    And what happened to Evans? That was the worst game he has ever had. I'm sure Smallwood would have got a foot in more, but that's being wise after the event.
    Slightly off-topic on the matter of the centre-backs, I wonder why the concept of the "sweeper" (libero) went so dramatically out of fashion? I actually played in that role myself for a while, but switched to "stopper" midfielder. I suppose that's the same job, but IN FRONT OF the back four!

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    I am backing down the longer the week goes on. But I still remain with a feeling of being really let down by a bunch of lads and manager I had a lot of faith in. Maybe that my fault?

I was saying this elsewhere about Downing. Players who don't play football matches suddenly get legendary status.
    Its not really the point though, I'm not even demanding he stayed? Just why didn't we replace him? We had already been shipping goals over the season, and at least one of our centre halves (from Rodwell, Mulgrew and Lenihan) has been injured at some point this season. And it was nieve to leave us so light. In an area we have struggled. Our GD is poor. When we where in the top half of the table, ours was much much worse than any other side. Our defence is, and has been one of the poorest in the division. Taking out the odd, short run when Mulgrew didn't play.
    It hasn't been addressed, and is now really catching up with us. While I don't believe Downing was the answer, he certainly was capable of staying around and stepping in to do a job for us. Right now, he is a far better option than Charlie. This could've been easily avoided.
    I am saying Mulgrew isn't a centre half. He hasn't played in that position in his career. Last time we played in the Champ, we went down, and shipped goals. He played his part in that. Throughout his career, he hasn't played much in this position, nor been effective. Apart from in Div1. I am also saying Rodwell isn't a centre half. Again, he hasn't played there in his career. He looks steady next to Lenihan, but for every decent game he had, like home to Hull. He also played and was pathetic vrs Brentford, when we shipped 5 goals. He was embarrassing that day.
    Lenihan is our only centre half, but also not perfect. But paired with Rodwell, they look ok.
    2 non centre halves together, Mulgrew and Rodwell, looks disastrous.

That's the not the most concerning thing, his constant changing of the tactics, personelle, sometimes mid half (like on Sunday) smacks of a guy who isn't sure what he is doing anymore. We set up so poorly vrs Boro, he HAD to change it in the first half. And the second tactical change didn't work either.

as I have always maintained, you learn nothing about your manager and players when things are going well, you only find out what they are made of when things are going wrong. How will they react? Will TM find the answers?

On sunday, that performance was as bad as anything under Coyle. But I will be fair and say it was one shocking performance, which hopefully can be marked as a one off. The poor results of late are maybe just a bad run? We will find out over the next few games, if the rot has set in, or if we can move past this.
    This may well surprise you Champs, but I don’t want you to back down.
    You have always spoken of how you feel and with that what you believe from what you see , far moreso ‘seeing’ than me, Aucks and Robin.
    Yes I agree there is a danger of us stuttering to the end of the season and with that major questions being asked of manager and squad.
    Not forgetting the support.
    For you there is a malaise within the squad and it certainly looked that way that first half and that is a concern, no question.
    But we were never going to get stronger as the season progressed IMO.
    You yourself have put the ‘hard miles’ in unlike us three, so you have every right to feel despondent and let down. It can be a painful ‘hobby’ following a footie team - it always has been, ask Citeh🥺 !

I think we can all agree that if TM is found wanting and he is let go, or ‘hounded out’ it will not please any of us.
    But that’s the nature of the job.

Take a break (for your wellbeing) if it’s making you unhappy.

Chin up.

I agree he made an error of judgement in that first half. I suspect the thought Boro might have been weakened because of their absentees, and went for an attacking line-up. Unfortunately, several of our most consistent players spent the half giving the ball away, so mounting attacks was impossible.
    And what happened to Evans? That was the worst game he has ever had. I'm sure Smallwood would have got a foot in more, but that's being wise after the event.
    Slightly off-topic on the matter of the centre-backs, I wonder why the concept of the "sweeper" (libero) went so dramatically out of fashion? I actually played in that role myself for a while, but switched to "stopper" midfielder. I suppose that's the same job, but IN FRONT OF the back four!
    On Sky, it said Rothwell was named in the starting line-up an hour before kick off, then 15 mins later he was leaving Ewood to go be with his wife giving birth. So Brereton was brought in. We are both in agreement on this Auks, TM should not be playing him. There is nothing to be gained from this as his head has drooped and his confidence is shot. The crowd (on his name being read out) groaned. He heard that, and not 10 mins in, his head dropped and I just felt sorry for the lad.
    The more we chat, the more your calming influence is making make see a bit more sense. A lot of this is with hindsight, which in football is a wonderful thing. Everyone is wise after the event.

And how true what you say about TM. Right now, everything is his fault. If we went and got a good result away at Birmingham, it wouldn't be perceived as anything to do with him.

I always like the sweeper role. I think its under-used in modern football, and your correct in that we could adaopt that, and sit someone just infront of the back 4? Mulgrew would actually be good in that role. He is looking too cumbersome (and isolated) as a centre half. Maybe with defenders and spoilers around him, he could dictate the play more?
    Evans had his worst game for us on Sunday? That was the one that really shocked me? He has been mostly excellent for us this season. But had a woeful game.
    I'm with you, I still like Smallwood. He will always give you that 7/10 every week. But back to us being wise after the event. Like you say, and I agree, you cant legislate for 7 or 8 of our dependable players all having such a bad game in unison.

I want you to at least consider this, as I have thought long and hard about it? Maybe the players reacted to a confusing game plan. Players like excuses, and ways out of having to be accountable.
    What was concerning was we started with this attacking line-up? Then he quickly lost faith with that, and asked players to move around.
    In comparision, they came with the same game plan they have all season, and stuck to it.
    Up to the last few weeks, we have stuck to a game plan, that's worked effectively.
    Why now are we changing? Then changing again mid-way through a half? To me that causes disruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    This may well surprise you Champs, but I don’t want you to back down.
    You have always spoken of how you feel and with that what you believe from what you see , far moreso ‘seeing’ than me, Aucks and Robin.
    Yes I agree there is a danger of us stuttering to the end of the season and with that major questions being asked of manager and squad.
    Not forgetting the support.
    For you there is a malaise within the squad and it certainly looked that way that first half and that is a concern, no question.
    But we were never going to get stronger as the season progressed IMO.
    You yourself have put the ‘hard miles’ in unlike us three, so you have every right to feel despondent and let down. It can be a painful ‘hobby’ following a footie team - it always has been, ask Citeh�� !

I think we can all agree that if TM is found wanting and he is let go, or ‘hounded out’ it will not please any of us.
    But that’s the nature of the job.

Take a break (for your wellbeing) if it’s making you unhappy.

Chin up.
    Thanks Despair. Same with you aswell as Auks.....and Robin!!
    Cheers for being patient with me. I have got quite wound up with everything of late, and that result on a weekend will actually ruin my day!! While I have always been very keen on football, I have never let it dictate my time, like it is now. I really do need to take a chill pill here and stop taking it all so serious, and taking things personally.
    just because you pay out money, that in no means makes it certain you will see your side do well everywhere.

I guess its more, that in the first half of the season, even if we lost, we would bounce back straight away. And we always gave a good account of ourselves. I just feel since xmas, even when we won those games, I felt something was a bit wrong. It just felt that way. I can't really explain it, and now we have just put in our worst display for a long long time. I realise I reacted badly to that.

I think he made the first change because we looked like being swamped, but he thought it was a bit early to bring on subs.
    When players lose confidence, they get rid of the ball too quickly, and it also seems to take half a yard off their pace to the ball. That's all it takes to be second-best. The contrast with the Hull game was remarkable.
    I have no problem with you wearing your heart on your sleeve, Champs. I used to get into disputes with Bigmoon and Seventwo on this very topic. My wife always says I'm TOO detached at times, but we are what we are, and she does admit I'm useful in an emergency!
    I still think some of our problems have arisen because TM always wants to have three forwards on the pitch (usually Graham, Dack and Armstrong, with one of them, inevitably, slightly out of position). As a knock-on effect of that, he has usually gone with TWO defensive central midfielders. With the five defenders, that only leaves one slot, and we all feel Bennett should be in the team. Our options get severely limited in that situation. That is why my preference, now, would be to go for 4-4-2.
    I don't believe there is any chance of relegation, so we might as well experiment.
    My midfield four is not fixed in my mind, but I'd like to see Bennett, Travis, Reed, Armstrong given a go, although I am very tempted to put Rothwell in.
    This is just one idea. I'm not doing a "Telegraph" here and saying this is what Mowbray SHOULD do. After all, winger is probably not ideal for Armstrong, but it is very hard to see our "best" team not having Dack and Graham in it. Also, I wish Armstrong was a bit more consistent. He has tended to swing between excellent and invisible.
    In theory, we do now have two GENUINE wingers on the books - Chapman and Gladwin - but the future prospects there are a mystery!
    One prediction/guess: Butterworth featuring ahead of Nuttall and Brereton for the rest of the season. What do you all think?
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 20-02-2019 at 10:46 PM.

I think he made the first change because we looked like being swamped, but he thought it was a bit early to bring on subs.
    When players lose confidence, they get rid of the ball too quickly, and it also seems to take half a yard off their pace to the ball. That's all it takes to be second-best. The contrast with the Hull game was remarkable.
    I have no problem with you wearing your heart on your sleeve, Champs. I used to get into disputes with Bigmoon and Seventwo on this very topic. My wife always says I'm TOO detached at times, but we are what we are, and she does admit I'm useful in an emergency!
    I still think some of our problems have arisen because TM always wants to have three forwards on the pitch (usually Graham, Dack and Armstrong, with one of them, inevitably, slightly out of position). As a knock-on effect of that, he has usually gone with TWO defensive central midfielders. With the five defenders, that only leaves one slot, and we all feel Bennett should be in the team. Our options get severely limited in that situation. That is why my preference, now, would be to go for 4-4-2.
    I don't believe there is any chance of relegation, so we might as well experiment.
    My midfield four is not fixed in my mind, but I'd like to see Bennett, Travis, Reed, Armstrong given a go, although I am very tempted to put Rothwell in.
    This is just one idea. I'm not doing a "Telegraph" here and saying this is what Mowbray SHOULD do. After all, winger is probably not ideal for Armstrong, but it is very hard to see our "best" team not having Dack and Graham in it. Also, I wish Armstrong was a bit more consistent. He has tended to swing between excellent and invisible.
    In theory, we do now have two GENUINE wingers on the books - Chapman and Gladwin - but the future prospects there are a mystery!
    One prediction/guess: Butterworth featuring ahead of Nuttall and Brereton for the rest of the season. What do you all think?
    I agree about Armstrong. He is either very much on it and scoring, or he adds almost nothing, and we appear to be carrying him. Strange how someone like Bell gets quite a lot of stick and is pretty consistent. Same with Smallwood. But a player like Arma will be totally left alone, and not a bad word is spoken. Not that anyone should be getting on his back, but it seems some players can do no right. I'm not really sure what Bell did to lose his place, unless he felt like taking him out of the firing line (like he did with Nyambe). I think we will see Harry Chapman soon.

But I really do agree about Butterworth. I just think he needs to give Brereton a break. And give this lad his chance. He has done absolutely everything right so far, and is very very close to being in the first team squad. All I hear is good things about this lad. He scores, he creates, he is skillfull, and he has pace. He also has quite a little attitude (in a good way) and he could be well worth getting in the side. You never know, it could be something like that, which gives us the spark we need to re-ignite the season?

It goes without saying I would go for Academy ‘talent’ every time, preferably before you go for ‘off the shelf’ players.
    It’s a gamble which ever way you select, as in ‘recent history’ we have learnt ! Incomers looking for an easy pay off.
    It’s all down to attitudes and behaviours.
    There’s absolutely no question that the higher up the pay scale you go, the more chance there is of picking a dud. Senor Murphy a classic example - followed by Etuhu 🤮

Back to topic 😏. Yep fully agree, for whatever reason we seem to have more than our fair share of offensive plonkers who for whatever reason determine to target a particular player almost at every turn. It’s fine that like on here we can (calmly 🤔 ) debate who we THINK is worthy and with that who we think let’s us / himself down.
    As with my particular dilemma Evans, who for me personally has only really performed about 10/15% of his appearances for us.
    Same with Arma, but maybe a more generous 25% .
    I will make an allowance though that Arma has been in a ‘shiftable’ position , as with (more than is comfortable) of his colleagues.
    Whereas Evans is by contrast in a ‘fixed’ role.
    The situation with BB grows more and more as the weeks fly by and all of us are saying ‘why the hell has he not been positioned with the under 23’s. ? Contractual?
    We have learnt though that good old Bradley is no Messi when he’s positioned so deep.
    I’m gona put that down to him not being too chuffed in bein told to do that role though - for now.
    Last edited by Despair; 21-02-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)