+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: St Midden Roll Call Match Thread & Sh1te

Quote Originally Posted by DonUnder View Post
    Perhaps teams wouldn't park the bus across the 18 yard line if our mid-field and/or defenders showed some will to hit one from distance. McKenna's goal against Killie is the only long range effort I can remember since Rooney left - are they discouraged or are they just sh1te at it? Try it once or twice and there might be room to play fckg one-twos into the 6 yard box and pretend you're Barcelona.
    Fair shout.
    When Hayes and McGinn left, I thought there was a strategy to go more centrally, but still we seem to struggle with long range efforts.
    If we cannot get beyond their fullbacks wide and can't get space to "walk the ball" into the net, there's nothing wrong with testing the keeper from range and anticipating any spills.

I seem to recall a few efforts recently, usually high wide and handsome.
    Ferguson had a decent effort against SevCo, which ricocheted to Cosgrove for his first.
    We should be willing to try it more.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Compare that with McGinn’s miss,
    OK we get it, you were not best impressed with McGinn's miss but how many fekin times do you have to bring it up and even blame it as the turning point of the game, which it clearly wasn't
    What is it with you and McGinn did you catch him humping, yir Mrs, or yir ma, give it a rest eh

Jeezuz

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post
    OK we get it, you were not best impressed with McGinn's miss but how many fekin times do you have to bring it up and even blame it as the turning point of the game, which it clearly wasn't
    What is it with you and McGinn did you catch him humping, yir Mrs, or yir ma, give it a rest eh

Jeezuz
    LOL. So funny. McGinn's been nowhere near my family, but by your defending of him, maybe you have a fascination / three way with him.

I criticise when warranted and he most certainly warranted it.
    Waste of a shirt that game, did absolutely nothing.

As for not being a game changer, of course it was.
    Had he scored, as he should have done, we would have been 2-1 up before half time and St Midden would have had to open up and come out, leaving more space for us to use.

[edit]
    P.S. If you read the post you linked, I was not having a go at McGinn at that time but pointing out the positives from it where the space was created.
    Maybe try reading the posts properly before p!shing your pants
    [/edit]
    Last edited by afc1903mad; 18-02-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Fair shout.
    When Hayes and McGinn left, I thought there was a strategy to go more centrally, but still we seem to struggle with long range efforts.
    If we cannot get beyond their fullbacks wide and can't get space to "walk the ball" into the net, there's nothing wrong with testing the keeper from range and anticipating any spills.

I seem to recall a few efforts recently, usually high wide and handsome.
    Ferguson had a decent effort against SevCo, which ricocheted to Cosgrove for his first.
    We should be willing to try it more.
    Saturday's efforts from range were late in the game when we were desperate - and it showed. Lowe (for example) almost always beats his first man (an attacker usually) then tries to beat 3 or 4 to reach the by line. Wouldn't hurt to cut in and throw a leg at one occasionally at least keep them guessing.

Because it closes out the space to play and makes it easier for the opposition to defend.
    Just look back the highlights, there was almost 20 players in the last third, sometimes even in their box, meaning we were left to lump balls into the box hoping to get something.

Compare that with McGinn’s miss, where we had pulled them out and had space to operate.
    Our first goal was contested as well, but we managed to get a quality cross in, with a perfect flick on.

Young players are taught to be aware of space, manipulate the opposite player to create space and then exploit it.
    It’s very hard to do when there is less room on a congested pitch.
    We needed to draw them out and then play through the lines.

We played a 3-4-2-1, but the issue wasn’t the 1 up top, it was because the 2 behind (Stewart and McGinn) wasn’t close enough to Cosgrove.

They exploited it once in the game, can’t think of any other notable times

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't necessarily agree with the logic.

When Hoban went off we put on a holding midfielder who only ever plays square passes. We may have pushed Ferguson and Shinnie slightly further forward congesting the space further upfield. We were never going to be able to draw them out - they were camped in their own half - we could've passed the ball across our defence and midfield all day and they wouldn't have come out. So we'd have been better sticking Wilson on and putting him right up alongside Cosgrove so at least we had another man to hit in the box. We could've played...
    Lewis
    Devlin Considine Lowe
    McGinn Shinnie Ferguson GMS
    Stewart
    Wilson Cosgrove

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    I can see where you're coming from, but I don't necessarily agree with the logic.
    That's fair enough, we are entitled to have differing views

When Hoban went off we put on a holding midfielder who only ever plays square passes. We may have pushed Ferguson and Shinnie slightly further forward congesting the space further upfield. We were never going to be able to draw them out - they were camped in their own half - we could've passed the ball across our defence and midfield all day and they wouldn't have come out. So we'd have been better sticking Wilson on and putting him right up alongside Cosgrove so at least we had another man to hit in the box.
    It certainly became tougher when they got their noses in front again

Lewis
    Devlin Considine Lowe
    McGinn Shinnie Ferguson GMS
    Stewart
    Wilson Cosgrove

For large parts of the second half we played only 2 at the back

..............Lewis
    .........Devlin Considine
    ..............Gleeson
    GMS Ferguson Shinnie Lowe
    .........McGinn Stewart
    .............Cosgrove

When Wilson came on for Lowe, it was even narrower

For me it was too narrow, the space was out wide.
    Noteably, both our goals came from wide positions.

As we became more and more desperate, we pushed more and more forward, further closing out the spaces.
    I take your point about them not getting out of the bus, but would disagree that we did not have enough men in the box to hit.
    As someone else noted, we needed to be able to take some shots from range and profit from a spill or a deflection

Stewart's long range volley attempt near the end was 80s pub league standard up in Thurso (where we know nothing about football)..

I would like to see us play a definite 3-4-3 with the named players below to see if we can add more goals to our matches and be more of a threat to the opposition.

Lewis

Devlin McKenna Shinnie

McLennan Ferguson Stewart Lowe

Wilson Cosgrove McGinn

It’s certainly worth a try. I would prefer Hoban in between Devlin and McKenna but he is f’ucked. It’s better than most selections and formations the anchor man has put out this season.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    Shinnie starts the matches as a sitting midfielder and has to become more attacking as the match goes on as we generally are having to use our defensive players more attacking in the 2nd half of matches. McInnes loves a 4-2-3-1 and the 2 in front of the back 4 are more defensive midfielders (ie sitting midfielders as such). A sh!te formation to play in Scottish football if you want entertainment.
    Shinnie IS NOT a sitting midfielder. He is a box to box player. The only player that resembles a sitting midfielder is Gleeson, and unfortunately he is gash.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    I would like to see us play a definite 3-4-3 with the named players below to see if we can add more goals to our matches and be more of a threat to the opposition.

Lewis

Devlin McKenna Shinnie

McLennan Ferguson Stewart Lowe

Wilson Cosgrove McGinn

It’s certainly worth a try. I would prefer Hoban in between Devlin and McKenna but he is f’ucked. It’s better than most selections and formations the anchor man has put out this season.
    ****in ridiculous line up.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast