+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Were You One Of The Lucky Ones?

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    Did anyone notice how much more dignified the players were in this game than the modern era? No knee-high tackles, time wasting, harranging the officials. Even the most disputed goal in history was accepted with minimum fuss by the Germans.England a goal up with a minute to go, not running the clock down.
    Strange jock when you look back..nothing seemed too important..
    Everything seemed one pace..

The 1966 World Cup was a bit of a cloggers festival generally, the final being one of the exceptions. The Brazil and Portugal teams were exceptions too, but Pele got little protection from the referees and was injured. Nobody got near enough to Eusebio to kicks him!

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I was watching the game on Youtube just the other day after Gordon Banks' death. Three things stuck in my mind, the first being why was Adolph Hitler one of the linesman, the second being that although technically inferior to today's players the game was much more exciting and thirdly, there was no way that was over the line.
    Well CAM , you are entitled to your opinion but when the goals scorer , ( who was quite close) told me personally it WAS over the line them I’m with him on this one

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Well CAM , you are entitled to your opinion but when the goals scorer , ( who was quite close) told me personally it WAS over the line them I’m with him on this one
    Yes, you can tell by Roger Hunt’s reaction. A player of the old school that routinely picked up goals from rebounds and scraps. He could have easily followed the shot up but didn’t, that instinctive reaction tells me the ball was over the line.

Was only 8

Watched at home with my Dad who then thought it was a good idea to introduce me to the Millers

Rest is history but I've carried on the tradition both kids and Grandkids hold ST's

Was it over the line ?
    Must have been, the goal stood !

Earlier in the competition I saw Beckenbauer play at Hillsborough and didn't need innoculations after the visit.

He was at the match , do you think he would have wanted England to win ?Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 19.03.09.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  10.4 KB

And Its nice to know that a future England manager was right behind the team with the rest of the supporters !!Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 19.10.23.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  13.5 KB

And Its nice to know that a future England manager was right behind the team with the rest of the supporters !!Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 19.10.23.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  13.5 KB
    Took me a while but I eventually got it.

He was at the match , do you think he would have wanted England to win ?Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 19.03.09.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  10.4 KB
    His team mate Denis Law didn't - always claims that he went for a round of golf when the match was on because he couldn't face the prospect of England winning the trophy !

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast