+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Were You One Of The Lucky Ones?

Were You One Of The Lucky Ones?

Walking down Wembley way on the 30th July 1966 ? Name:  football2807a7.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  100.2 KB

No Lincs were you there ? I did see Brazil v Portugal at Goodson during the tournament (aged 10) 63 now !

Unfortunately not daveed. Watched in tv at home , I remember the German equaliser in the last few minutes of normal time as if it was yesterday. Coincidently. a few years ago I attended a charity event at the Aston Hall at which Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters were guests.
    Im now the proud owner of a football thats got written on it ....." It WAS over the line " signed by the man himself !! I obviously asked him the question.
    Last edited by LincsMiller; 16-02-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Error

Quote Originally Posted by daveeed View Post
    No Lincs were you there ? I did see Brazil v Portugal at Goodson during the tournament (aged 10) 63 now !
    Wasn't at Wembley - watched it live on tv at home in Brinsworth. Got a match programme though. Saw Bobby Charlton, Jack Charlton, Martin Peters, and Nobby Stiles playing live at club level, but not for England
    Last edited by mikemiller; 16-02-2019 at 07:57 PM.

I was watching the game on Youtube just the other day after Gordon Banks' death. Three things stuck in my mind, the first being why was Adolph Hitler one of the linesman, the second being that although technically inferior to today's players the game was much more exciting and thirdly, there was no way that was over the line.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I was watching the game on Youtube just the other day after Gordon Banks' death. Three things stuck in my mind, the first being why was Adolph Hitler one of the linesman, the second being that although technically inferior to today's players the game was much more exciting and thirdly, there was no way that was over the line.
    '
    The match does look a bit "slow motion" by today's standards, but I remember it being a hot day in Rotherham, and probably slightly hotter (?) at Wembley, and that might have had an effect on the players. Well, it was in the middle of summer.

It was a glorious day. I was on holiday in Newquay at the time.

Hitler was linesman by the way because Goebbles was on holiday.

I watched the Final in Germany on German television surrounded by Germans. Particularly sweet.

A couple of years ago I went back, for the first time in fifty years, to the room in the house where I watched the game. Quite moment...

Did anyone notice how much more dignified the players were in this game than the modern era? No knee-high tackles, time wasting, harranging the officials. Even the most disputed goal in history was accepted with minimum fuss by the Germans.England a goal up with a minute to go, not running the clock down.

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    Did anyone notice how much more dignified the players were in this game than the modern era? No knee-high tackles, time wasting, harranging the officials. Even the most disputed goal in history was accepted with minimum fuss by the Germans.England a goal up with a minute to go, not running the clock down.
    There were possibly no knee high tackles in that game but that wasn't the norm for that era. Players like Nobby Stiles and Jack Charlton got away with much more in those days than they could today. They weren't alone - Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith, Ron Harris and many more were hard men who didn't always play fair. You didn't get the rolling about on the ground that you do now and, if a player stayed down he was actually injured.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast