+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Were You One Of The Lucky Ones?

I was 15 years of age, & was lucky to go see Germany at Hillsborough twice
    during the World cup with my father.
    We went to the first match where Germany trounced Switzerland 5-0, then to
    the quarter final where Germany beat Uruguay, saw some great players.
    I backed Germany to win the World cup that year, in my heart I wanted England to
    win, in my pocket I wanted Germany to win.
    Got the tickets through my father & us has a family working for Rotherham United.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    I was 15 years of age, & was lucky to go see Germany at Hillsborough twice
    during the World cup with my father.
    We went to the first match where Germany trounced Switzerland 5-0, then to
    the quarter final where Germany beat Uruguay, saw some great players.
    I backed Germany to win the World cup that year, in my heart I wanted England to
    win, in my pocket I wanted Germany to win.
    Got the tickets through my father & us has a family working for Rotherham United.
    Bloody ek ELK gambling at 15...A few stats from 66, Highest att 98,270 England v France (group game), lowest att. 15,887 Chile v North Korea.(Ayresome Park). 8 penalties and 2 own goals altogether, 2 hat-tricks and 6 sent off, does anybody know the 2 London grounds that were used for the finals?, and for a bonus point a Uruguay player was sent off in a group stage game and suspended for 6 matches for what reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemiller View Post
    does anybody know the 2 London grounds that were used for the finals?, and for a bonus point a Uruguay player was sent off in a group stage game and suspended for 6 matches for what reason?
    Wembley and White City. I think that the date for a greyhound meeting at Wembley clashed with one of the World Cup fixtures... so instead of (logically) moving the greyhound meeting to the White City and having the football at Wembley, they did the opposite!
    Just checked - it was Uruguay v France
    Last edited by mikemiller; 18-02-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemiller View Post
    Bloody ek ELK gambling at 15...A few stats from 66, Highest att 98,270 England v France (group game), lowest att. 15,887 Chile v North Korea.(Ayresome Park). 8 penalties and 2 own goals altogether, 2 hat-tricks and 6 sent off, does anybody know the 2 London grounds that were used for the finals?, and for a bonus point a Uruguay player was sent off in a group stage game and suspended for 6 matches for what reason?
    ey up Arch. I know that White City was used (as well as Wemberlee of course) no recollection of the Uruguay player

Since GB passed way Ive been looking online at various rare photo's of Englands 66 win ( which prompted this OP) and Ive found this print of which Im in the process of ordering. Sums it up for me !

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 15.23.17.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  15.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    ey up Arch. I know that White City was used (as well as Wemberlee of course) no recollection of the Uruguay player

Well there was one match I saw, the West Germany v Uruguay game at Hillsborough where two Uruguayan thugs were sent off. One for giving Uwe Seeler a whack in the head.

Can’t remember names though was it one of them?

[QUOTE=LincsMiller;39151109]Since GB passed way Ive been looking online at various rare photo's of Englands 66 win ( which prompted this OP) and Ive found this print of which Im in the process of ordering. Sums it up for me ! [QUOTE]

Some good footage in the award-winning documentary film "Goal" - probably be able to get a cheap DVD copy second-hand if you've not got it . I got it on video for a quid a few years back

[QUOTE=mikemiller;39151172][QUOTE=LincsMiller;39151109]Since GB passed way Ive been looking online at various rare photo's of Englands 66 win ( which prompted this OP) and Ive found this print of which Im in the process of ordering. Sums it up for me !

Some good footage in the award-winning documentary film "Goal" - probably be able to get a cheap DVD copy second-hand if you've not got it . I got it on video for a quid a few years back
    Yes, it’s one if the best. A narrative style almost newsreel in its delivery. Done before the “need” to have hysteria and hype.

I remember having a plastic World Cup Willie mascot. I think my mother sat on it with my guitar.

I remember going to the Essoldo ? Cinema to watch it , unusually it’s not on YouTube

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast