+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Was Really Surprising....

What Was Really Surprising....

Mansfield are touted as being an attacking, attractive footballing team who like to pass the ball quickly and get lots of efforts away on goal. I was wondering whether Kevin Nolan had got a coaching job with them on the sly because all I could see from them was aimless hoofball. This week they had no excuses about a mudbath playing surface - like at Newport - yet they still kept hitting a stream of long high balls up to their powder puff, dwarf strikers.

The other thing that struck me was the Lincoln style thuggery that seems to have crept into their 'beautiful gameplan'. I mean come on, how Turner didn't get sent off for cynically taking out CMS in the first half beggars belief - and that wasn't the only dreadful foul they got away with.

Maybe the Staggies are suffering the promotion jitters, 'cos they sure didn't look remotely good enough today... !

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    Mansfield are touted as being an attacking, attractive footballing team who like to pass the ball quickly and get lots of efforts away on goal. I was wondering whether Kevin Nolan had got a coaching job with them on the sly because all I could see from them was aimless hoofball. This week they had no excuses about a mudbath playing surface - like at Newport - yet they still kept hitting a stream of long high balls up to their powder puff, dwarf strikers.

The other thing that struck me was the Lincoln style thuggery that seems to have crept into their 'beautiful gameplan'. I mean come on, how Turner didn't get sent off for cynically taking out CMS in the first half beggars belief - and that wasn't the only dreadful foul they got away with.

Maybe the Staggies are suffering the promotion jitters, 'cos they sure didn't look remotely good enough today... !

Totally outplayed the dirty cheating thuggish inbreds.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Totally outplayed the dirty cheating thuggish inbreds.
    Hahahahahahaha..........

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post

Mansfield looked a good team when we were rubbish earlier this season, but looked rubbish today when we were up for it. NA got the tactics spot-on against their 3-5-2 in the first half, pushing Mitch Rose up the pitch to give us a numerical advantage on their left. They basically had 5 minutes at the start of each half, and then we were in total control. Can’t remember the last time we restricted a team to no shots on target.

We pressed Mansfield all over the pitch, forcing them into mistakes. They looked sluggish at the back and very lightweight up front. Thought Bishop and Pearce were their best players, while Jorge Grant’s performance was reminiscent of his anonymous performances for us in the second half of last season.

Bang on nw6. The difference between today's team performance and the whimpering surrender at Field Mill was a galaxy apart.

COYP !!

They had to lump it forward today because we resorted them to it.
    We were fitter, faster, stronger and just wanted it far more.
    They had no time on the ball anywhere on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Mansfield looked a good team when we were rubbish earlier this season, but looked rubbish today when we were up for it. NA got the tactics spot-on against their 3-5-2 in the first half, pushing Mitch Rose up the pitch to give us a numerical advantage on their left. They basically had 5 minutes at the start of each half, and then we were in total control. Can’t remember the last time we restricted a team to no shots on target.

We pressed Mansfield all over the pitch, forcing them into mistakes. They looked sluggish at the back and very lightweight up front. Thought Bishop and Pearce were their best players, while Jorge Grant’s performance was reminiscent of his anonymous performances for us in the second half of last season.
    Agree, I thought Bish and Pearce were very good, Grant and Walker??? were they on the pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Agree, I thought Bish and Pearce were very good, Grant and Walker??? were they on the pitch?
    Yeah, Bish and Pearce were the only two players who turned up for them. Two good players they are, and ones I really liked when at Notts. Grant did what Grant does when things aren't going well - nothing.

I know some football purists will hail the tippy-tappy football that Mansfield and FGR try to play, but I've always preferred blood and thunder, direct football myself. I'm more likely to get out of my seat to applaud someone charging down a lost cause than I am for a fancy step-over.

I love the way Ardley has us playing now. It's not the aimless hoofball we went for under Nolan, nor is it the short-passing style that Kewell wanted us to play. It's just a perfect blend of power, pace, organisation, and high-energy pressing from the front - just the kind of football I like to watch.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 17-02-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Yeah, Bish and Pearce were the only two players who turned up for them. Two good players they are, and ones I really liked when at Notts. Grant did what Grant does when things aren't going well - nothing.

I know some football purists will hail the tippy-tappy football that Mansfield and FGR try to play, but I've always preferred blood and thunder, direct football myself. I'm more likely to get out of my seat to applaud someone charging down a lost cause than I am for a fancy step-over.

I love the way Ardley has us playing now. It's not the aimless hoofball we went for under Nolan, nor is it the short-passing style that Kewell wanted us to play. It's just a perfect blend of power, pace, organisation, and high-energy pressing from the front - just the kind of football I like to watch.
    Agreed, I’d say we’re a goalkeeper and powerful target man away from being a very good side. But we also have to hope O’Brien and Doyle stay fit for the rest of the campaign because, as we’ve seen, we don’t have anyone who can replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I liked the way Bishop trotted across the Kop end penalty area before the game and got a ripple of applause which he returned, he then got a much bigger round of applause back. Good to see.

Pearce dominated high balls into Mansfield's area and seemed a much stronger player than when he was with us.

Walker ran around a bit but it didn't seem as if his heart was in it.

Grant, though, had something like a total of five minutes involvement in between doing his usual disappearing acts - we've seen it before though, haven't we?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast