+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altrincham F.C.....a step too far?

Altrincham F.C.....a step too far?

What does everyone think of Altrincham wearing that special LGBT rainbow get up for their game yesterday?
    Has it all got a bit too much now?
    I'm certainly glad it wasn't us running out in that strip...dear oh dear.

Anything that draws attention to homophobia has to be a good thing, and it attracted a good deal of news coverage, both locally and nationally with a feature on Football Focus.

After the admirable intervention by the England cricket captain in the week - firm and understated- I can’t see what’s wrong with it. I’ve not heard anything similar at Gresty Road and hope I never do, but it will be reported to a steward toute suite if I do, as would anything racist.

Methinks you need to get yourself into the 21st century!!

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    Anything that draws attention to homophobia has to be a good thing, and it attracted a good deal of news coverage, both locally and nationally with a feature on Football Focus.

After the admirable intervention by the England cricket captain in the week - firm and understated- I can’t see what’s wrong with it. I’ve not heard anything similar at Gresty Road and hope I never do, but it will be reported to a steward toute suite if I do, as would anything racist.

Methinks you need to get yourself into the 21st century!!
    I'm all for open mindedness but I certainly ain't ready for anything like that happening at Gresty Road.
    Not surprised it was promoted by the BBC though.Very much 'their bag'.

Quote Originally Posted by Red and White Crusader View Post
    I'm all for open mindedness but I certainly ain't ready for anything like that happening at Gresty Road.
    Not surprised it was promoted by the BBC though.Very much 'their bag'.
    Shouldn't it be everyones bag?

What's wrong with making a previously excluded group feel welcome at football.

If Crewe played in a rainbow kit I'd be proud of them

Quote Originally Posted by thnhouse View Post

They're welcome at Gresty Road but I'd rather they didn't flaunt it.
    As for wearing one of those politically correct strips...we're Crewe Alexandra-we'll always be red.

Quote Originally Posted by Red and White Crusader View Post
    They're welcome at Gresty Road but I'd rather they didn't flaunt it.
    As for wearing one of those politically correct strips...we're Crewe Alexandra-we'll always be red.
    Flaunt it! What do you thinks going to happen? Also why are your feelings more important than theirs.

I know this may come as a shock to you but we've probably got some gay fans, we've probably had gay fans for years and we've probably had/got some gay players.

Why not just be welcoming to everyone? (except Vale)

I can confirm that we’ve had at least one gay season ticket holder for the past 30 years!

It may be a tricky subject for the Alex given recent and future court cases, etc, which makes it all the more important that the club continues to support the rainbow laces campaign and is as inclusive as it can be. It is highly unlikely that we will wear rainbow shirts for precisely that reason (and I fully support and understand it) but I don’t recall similar outrage when a club wore pink shirts in support of breast cancer. If no harm is done and it gets football fans discussing the issue, as it clearly has (!) then what’s the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    I can confirm that we’ve had at least one gay season ticket holder for the past 30 years!

It may be a tricky subject for the Alex given recent and future court cases, etc, which makes it all the more important that the club continues to support the rainbow laces campaign and is as inclusive as it can be. It is highly unlikely that we will wear rainbow shirts for precisely that reason (and I fully support and understand it) but I don’t recall similar outrage when a club wore pink shirts in support of breast cancer. If no harm is done and it gets football fans discussing the issue, as it clearly has (!) then what’s the problem?
    Wearing pink to support breast cancer is a different kettle of fish altogether and thus far more palatable.

That’s *******s.

Quote Originally Posted by thnhouse View Post

Absolutely right. Disappointing that it is still regarded as something to get on a high horse about from any perspective. We are all members of one race and one species. The Human race. All welcome in my world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast