+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T Why the hell not?

Apparently the council were/are looking for a name for the square, that’s why all this came about.

Can’t wait for the new name it’s bound to be something stupid, maybe clown square would suit them (I’m being polite)

Arthur Wharton Square has a ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Arthur Wharton Square has a ring to it.
    So we can put the statue there

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    So we can put the statue there
    Have we got a statue of him?

Chuckle Square does sound good.

What I found laughable is the Councillor who said it had been rejected because they're from Maltby and that's not Rotherham.

The lads were born in Masborough and later lived on Beckwith Road at East Herringthorpe. Now having a part mirror image of my birth also being in Masborough and later living on Lockwood Road at East Herringthorpe, I can confirm they are both ares of Rotherham. What a thick Councillor.

No statue, there wasn’t enough local support or funding for the idea.

There’s one of him though at the National Footy Centre in Burton, which looks like he’s being crucified

Also one in the Footy Museum in Manchester.

So a third might just be being a bit excessive
    Last edited by Grist_To_The_Mill; 17-02-2019 at 08:34 PM.

They should have written and starred in the Super Mario Brothers film, it would have been much better (certainly couldn't have been worse).

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    No Chuckle Square but we can have "twinned with St Quenten" on the Rotherham boundary signs

Even when most Rotherham folk think it's where the jail is.
    St Quentin is a town in Northern France and is a really nice place to visit. They have over the years linked with sporting clubs from Rotherham and friendships have been made. I have been on a few occasions and the people are great. The very least that the twinning has done is that it has broken any stereotypes that may have been harboured by people on both sides.

Did Johnny Cash ever sing there?

Quote Originally Posted by Galley On View Post
    St Quentin is a town in Northern France and is a really nice place to visit. They have over the years linked with sporting clubs from Rotherham and friendships have been made. I have been on a few occasions and the people are great. The very least that the twinning has done is that it has broken any stereotypes that may have been harboured by people on both sides.

So the council picked a nice place to have a jolly boys outing?

Sorry but I remain unconvinced that this twinning arrangement brings any significant benefit to Rotherham

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12