+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I know that I'm gonna be shot down...

The lingering worry I have is that we don't have the strength in depth. Our current starting line up are a good team, but if more than 2 or 3 get knocks it'll be a problem. Like Elite said, I'd be delighted with 22nd.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    It would be typical Notts to get the last 3 results and then go and lose tomorrow night. Still a long, long way to go but a win against Newport in a more run of the mill game would convince a lot of people that we’re going to get out of it.

This^^^

Almost every home match this season has bought a feeling of dread along with it but if we can keep the majority of our 'First team' fit, then I do believe we stand a decent chance.

Especially if we can keep Popeye and O'Brien fit. NC FCUK???
    Last edited by countygump; 18-02-2019 at 09:57 PM.

I'm in the same boat. Certainly more optimistic than I was three weeks ago but still not ready to get too comfortable - it'll be that way until we're out of the relegation zone.

We've had three great results but anything can happen and we may end up losing a couple in a row. Also, what happens if our centre mids get injured? This is Notts County, and I'm still not ready to believe that bad things won't happen just yet.

But like I've said many times, we clearly now have a team that's too good to be relegated. If they all stay fit and play like they have the last three games, I think we'll be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    I've supported Notts for 40 years and seen twists and turns that other clubs can't even imagine and after seven points gained against three of the top four clubs in League Two I'm still not 100% comfortable that we are going to escape the drop,don't get me wrong I feel a lot better than I did two weeks ago and the team has been transformed but I dunno.....sort of waiting for the bubble to burst again

Hi Coco. Trust you enjoyed the Mansfield game and I ain't counting my chickens either. Whilst I am quietly confident that this team will see us safe all it takes is an injury or suspension to either JO or MD (or God forbid both) and we are potentially struggling again. They are the leaders which Notts have been missing all season and they have gee'd everyone up and protected the young lads in defence. As a result we are playing as a unit and a good one at that. Tonight presents a different challenge against a side who it could be said don't have to worry too much about their league position as they should be safe. It could also be argued that Notts begin the game as favourites but we all know where those high expectations got us at the start of this nightmare season!
    Last edited by KintoreMagpie; 19-02-2019 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by LilCrazyKim View Post
    The lingering worry I have is that we don't have the strength in depth. Our current starting line up are a good team, but if more than 2 or 3 get knocks it'll be a problem. Like Elite said, I'd be delighted with 22nd.
    Absolutely correct. The depth of the squad is worrying. Some of those substitutes couldn't win a raffle never mind a football match.

Quote Originally Posted by KintoreMagpie View Post
    Hi Coco. Trust you enjoyed the Mansfield game and I ain't counting my chickens either. Whilst I am quietly confident that this team will see us safe all it takes is an injury or suspension to either JO or MD (or God forbid both) and we are potentially struggling again. They are the leaders which Notts have been missing all season and they have gee'd everyone up and protected the young lads in defence. As a result we are playing as a unit and a good one at that. Tonight presents a different challenge against a side who it could be said don't have to worry too much about their league position as they should be safe. It could also be argued that Notts begin the game as favourites but we all know where those high expectations got us at the start of this nightmare season!
    On current form, I'd add Barclay and Stubbs to the list of players we couldn't afford to do without. Both have been outstanding during the last three games.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    On current form, I'd add Barclay and Stubbs to the list of players we couldn't afford to do without. Both have been outstanding during the last three games.
    Not tonight though.

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    I've supported Notts for 40 years and seen twists and turns that other clubs can't even imagine and after seven points gained against three of the top four clubs in League Two I'm still not 100% comfortable that we are going to escape the drop,don't get me wrong I feel a lot better than I did two weeks ago and the team has been transformed but I dunno.....sort of waiting for the bubble to burst again
    It didn't just burst it exploded tonight

The morning after

Notts showed again their capacity to self destruct against Newport yesterday. Just when I was going to reply to this thread and say we should be out of trouble very soon. Last night showed that there is still a lot of work to do. Much stronger when Stead and CMS came on, but we'd already lost by then. I did think 4-1 was a bit flattering to them, and we had another dodgy ref. Seemed to award them a free kick if one of their players sneezed, never mind falling over with minimal or no contact. In contrast they were just shoving our players off the ball and getting away with it. Their finishing was clinical, and their keeper got in some good saves, but a match our back 4 will want to forget.

If we play like we did against Mansfailed, we will end the season mid table, if we play like yesterday, it will be a fight til the end of the season.

Last night's game was exactly what I suspected would happen,three great results against very hard opposition which builds up your hopes and then you play a winnable game at home and bang...the bubble bursts again,when Kewell took over he won 2 or 3 from the start then Notts went back to their old ways,it's been the same way for years now and i'm not counting the Munto season as we bought promotion that year,Notts have shown what they can win games so why don't they seem to build on their successes?
    Last edited by cocopops61; 20-02-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast