+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Other managers

Other managers

...bit of a general footy thread here. Deliberately keeping Rafa out of it so we can answer more objectively.

Who do we think has done the best job so far with their squad, taking everything into account?

Obviously, Solskjaer has to be up there...he's absolutely transformed Manure. Mind, I think this is as much a reflection of how poor and restrictive Mourinho's tactics were as it is a gauge of how good a manager he is. But, he's identified his squad's strengths-attacking-and is playing to them.

Pochettino...not a penny spent in the Summer but he's got them playing some excellent football and within touching distance of two teams in a league of their own, money-wise. Aye, he had a very good squad to start with but I think he's still done incredibly well.

Klopp...he's got them playing some outstanding football and although they've spent ridiculous amounts on two players, he identified where they were weakest and sorted it. He;s still getting a tune out of Milner and has brought young talent on in leaps and bounds. Negative? He still plays Henderson. Love his approach to the game in general, too...wears his heart on his sleeve but also sees the game for what it is, i.e. a game

Guardiola...has assembled a team of incredible talent which plays incredible football...but he's spent incredible sums to do so.

Special mention to Espirito Santo....he's got them playing great football and although he's spent a lot, it's easy to forget they were a Chimpo team last season.

After all that, I'm not even sure who I'd go for. Probably Pochettino if i was pushed.

Thoughts?

Just prem Zip?

Because i personally think Lampard is doing a great job at Derby.

But prem focused.

Agreed with most of those, although I think in case of Man Utd they just needed a manager that would let them play and although can't fault results they would of had a big up turn as soon as Jose was gone.

Can't agree with Wolves, yes they were championship but if you gave Rotherham a cheque book to blow all other championship clubs out of the water and an agent who can get players that wouldn't even know where Rotherham (Wolverhampton) was otherwise they'd be doing as well.

I think Eddie Howe has to get a mention, not doing as well this season but yet again keeping them playing attractive football, competitive and good at seeing where a problem is during a game at making a reasonable attempt at sorting it.

Watford as well i think their manager (can't remember his name ) have done well, he could see what needed to be strength and did so.

Pellegrini at Hammer must be in with a shout as well, they were **** last season and i fully expected them to be poor again this season even with players brought in but he has got them playing steady football.

Warnock.... to have Cardiff anywhere near a chance of safety is a job well done....

Eddie Howe for me shows what a good young manager he is with Bourmouth. I wonder if he is able to take it to the next level at a top 6 club (no disrespect to Bournmouth) where larger players and fees and greater expectation is needed.
    Chris Houghton for me also goes about his job well. No histrionics no back biting in the press and seems to have the respect of everyone he deals with.

I'd agree with you all with the above selections especially Zips vote for Solskjaer and Klopp, Jammy and Derek for Eddie Howe and under the circumstances Mick's nomination for Warnock.

If it was another thread and Rafa had left and it was a vote to replace him then I'd go for Klopp or Howe.

Solskjaer has done well but theres still scope for him to go titts up.

Klopp, yes maybe but for me Pep. Yes they have spent, yes they have great players but don't under estimate how hard it must be to motivate so many egos and primadonas - to keep a machine like that winning by playing the way they do. Money helps but I think he does well to make sure they stay humble; hungry, they obviously train well, they improve year on year and seem to be able to handle the pressure they must feel. Liverpool have spent and look at how much the Red Manchester team have wasted - what half a billion since Taggart left at least?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)