+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Political Force?

Getting back to domestic politics (which is what the OP related to) I subscribe to They Work for You. I get to track my MPs contributions when he’s spoken to the House and I can also track his voting patterns and expenditure etc.

One thing smacks me squarely between the eyes with almost every single vote. Voting patterns are all practically identical one way or the other. On one side of the vote it’s pretty much all Tory and DUP. On the other it’s all of the rest and vice versa depending on who’s proposing and voting for what.

Such a pity elected members of parliament from all sides generally don’t/can’t think for themselves by voting on the issues at hand as opposed to blindly following party political directives. I genuinely think we’d get more things done in this country if our elected representatives weighed things up on a pro/con morally right/wrong basis.

It would make such a refreshing change for them to stop following their chosen herds while applying the politics of the playground, keeping their collective one-eyes on the security of their parliamentary pension plans. Unfortunately this would require back bone, a bit of spirit, genuine insight, and the intelligence to apply that insight without preconceived bias or prejudice. I have no idea where this party split will lead but I sincerely hope it’s for the betterment of politics in the UK.

For the record I’m going to categorically state anyone who disagrees with me on these points should do the world a favour by denying themselves oxygen on the grounds they are a waste of skin.

Here endeth a party political broadcast for the Albionic party, thank you for your time .

As far I am concerned the Labour Party were a spent force when Corbyn and his 'bully boy' crew took over. His ideology is from the 'dark ages, which has thankfully been confined to the history books. The Labour Party that I remember from the fifties and sixties, I could vote for but not Blaire and certainly not Corbyn. I agree, we do need a new centralist party but that is easier said than done. Look what happened to the Lib Dems. Politically we are in a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I hope so, I truly believe the two party system we have just doesn't work for us anymore. Labour & Cons are too far from the centre ground.

The fact this is the worst government in living memory, and they are still ahead in the polls speaks volumes about Labour.

I'd like to see some more moderate MPs join from all parties. If not, all this will do is split the labour vote and probably strengthen the Tories.

I agree with many of your points 123. Lets be honest though, we've had some cr*p governments haven't we? I still remember being in early school during the winter of discontent. We were sat in the classroom and all the lights went out and the heating went off. No one could do anything, rubbish built up in the streets and you couldn't even get buried. Heath who was another liar on a par with Blair and was as big a calamity as Callaghan so there's plenty to pick from if you're saying this lot are the worst. I don't like this government by the way and like many, really wish a party could come along that meant people voted for it because of what it represented rather than to keep Corbyn out which I think is why many voted for the Tories. Its a blo*dy sad state of affairs but we're not alone are we.

Another new political farce more like. This country voted to leave the EU. Remainers have ignored the vote and banged on for two years trying to change the "Peoples vote" in favour of a "Peoples vote" (spot the difference).....these numpties are pro EU even though we voted to leave.....so way past the two years they plan to "Bang on" yet some more. Deaf, Dumb, and blind. By the way, rumour has it that Anna Soubry is set to join. I rest my case.
    Last edited by boingy; 19-02-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Another new political farce more like. This country voted to leave the EU. Remainers have ignored the vote and banged on for two years trying to change the "Peoples vote" in favour of a "Peoples vote" (spot the difference).....these numpties are pro EU even though we voted to leave.....so way past the two years they plan to "Bang on" yet some more. Deaf, Dumb, and blind. By the way, rumour has it that Anna Soubry is set to join. I rest my case.
    Prominent Leavers have had decades to plan how we would leave the EU, and they don't have one. It's the reason why its so hard to leave the EU.

Mostly, its because whatever way we leave will leave us economically worse off. The governments own Brexit department has confirmed this.

There is no economically better deal on the table than remaining in the EU.

So what PM is going to go ahead and confirm they will make the public worse off...

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    I agree with many of your points 123. Lets be honest though, we've had some cr*p governments haven't we? I still remember being in early school during the winter of discontent. We were sat in the classroom and all the lights went out and the heating went off. No one could do anything, rubbish built up in the streets and you couldn't even get buried. Heath who was another liar on a par with Blair and was as big a calamity as Callaghan so there's plenty to pick from if you're saying this lot are the worst. I don't like this government by the way and like many, really wish a party could come along that meant people voted for it because of what it represented rather than to keep Corbyn out which I think is why many voted for the Tories. Its a blo*dy sad state of affairs but we're not alone are we.
    Going back further than me, the first PM I remember is John Major. Maybe I might think differently if I lived during that era.

I thought the Blair government were pretty good. He will forever be remembered for Iraq, but domestically his record was brilliant in my book...

I do agree with you that Tories are in power and are ahead in the polls largely to keep Corbyn out. And yes, it is a sad state of affairs.

Hopefully we can produce something positive out of this God awful Brexit mess we are in and the state of our current politics will change in the future.

The whole debacle is so fecking boring! The country voted to leave so there you have it!

Everyone that I know who voted ‘leave’ wants to leave the EU completely, no deal. However, I think that they are wrong; the best deal for the country is to remain in the EU, so I am rooting for another referendum. If we are fortunate to have one, then if the result is to leave, then that is democracy but if the result is to remain, then that, too, is democracy, as it would be the verdict of the majority now.

Personally, I would just like the MPs who believe we should remain (in a majority, I believe) get together and just vote down this Brexit stupidity, I really wouldn’t care at all about all the uproar that would follow!

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Everyone that I know who voted ‘leave’ wants to leave the EU completely, no deal. However, I think that they are wrong; the best deal for the country is to remain in the EU, so I am rooting for another referendum. If we are fortunate to have one, then if the result is to leave, then that is democracy but if the result is to remain, then that, too, is democracy, as it would be the verdict of the majority now.

Personally, I would just like the MPs who believe we should remain (in a majority, I believe) get together and just vote down this Brexit stupidity, I really wouldn’t care at all about all the uproar that would follow!
    you say if we had another referendum and we voted to leave,that’s democracy then you say if we vote to remain that’s democracy,WE HAD A VOTE.and voted leave.idont know owe your part of the country voted ,but we’re I live a vast amount voted out.and the ones I know who voted out have not changed there minds.with all the scaremongering from the ones that won’t except a democratic vote stinks of desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    you say if we had another referendum and we voted to leave,that’s democracy then you say if we vote to remain that’s democracy,WE HAD A VOTE.and voted leave.idont know owe your part of the country voted ,but we’re I live a vast amount voted out.and the ones I know who voted out have not changed there minds.with all the scaremongering from the ones that won’t except a democratic vote stinks of desperation.
    There is no question that all of the main protagonists including Remain's biggest cheerleader Nick Clegg were clear we are only having one vote. The official paperwork that dropped through my door said it also. That said, no one voted for this shambles. I agree with the summary made by Lord Digby Jones recently in that the reason this is all such a mess is due to the majority of the house and the Civil Service not wanting to leave in the first place. It's all been a complete fu** up and a fudge.

I cannot believe any group of politicians and Civil Service negotiators are genuinely this useless and incompetent which leads me to believe its all part of a larger plan at the highest levels to ignore the mandate from the voters and present some half-baked manifesto for life after the EU that clearly puts us at a disadvantage so naturally people will want to remain.

In a commercial organisation, if you were launching a new product, you would have those that believe in it 100% out promoting it and not those who think it a bad poorly thought out idea. Conspiracy theory - yes, but can any one be this useless?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)