+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Memories Of Pompey Away

Memories Of Pompey Away

Went in 79 when Derek Bell scored the goal that got us promoted from the old fourth division , that was a 24 hours that deserves a thread of its own but I'll park it .

Went in 1980 when Glyn Riley scored to win us the game on our way to promotion to the old second division under Norman Hunter .

Went to a couple of last game of the season games down there that had nowt riding on them other than it was the last game so you ....err went to it .

The one that sticks in the throat was the april 97 game when we were on the brink of promotion to the PL .

Midweek game it was and we'd drawn at Palace 1-1 the previous saturday .

Loads went down as you'd expect with what was at stake .

We were 3-0 down at half time , it wasn't good to say the least , Redders scored twice to make it 3-2 and game on , Andy Liddell missed a great chance to tie the game up but fired wide .

We lost 4-2 in the end , the journey home was horrible , we all thought we'd blown it , proper gutted .

I had the next day off work too and thought feck it I'm on the pyss all day , met up with the chaps , played snooker all afternoon and drunk loads of beer .

Wolves were home to Grimsby that night , we weren't expecting the cod heads to put up much of a fight as they were as good as relegated .

Finished up in town that night and got some landlord to get the teletext up at 9.30pm , Wolves 1-1 Grimsby .

Feckin hell !!!

A win on saturday and we are up , no fecker can catch us , only two games left , doesn't matter what Wolves do , if we win that's it .

Tell you now that journey home from Pompey that night was proper gutting , as low as you could be with what was at stake .

Turned out nice in the end .

Nice memories in the end as you say Animal but that loss that night was horrible. Lee Bradbury I believe scored hatrick. I thowt wid blown it too but when the pressure was on Wolves simply couldn't hack it.

Never been to Fratton park, I don't recall us having much success darn theear in my time as a fan. A remember a 3-1 win in the late 90s but on the whole we've mostly been turned over. One bizzare game was a 4-4 draw when we scored 2 late goals to snatch a point. Robert Prosinecki was on fire for them that day as he was in the reverse fixture at Oakwell, he were some player wo that lad, one of the best I've seen in the flesh. A genuine world class footballer

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Nice memories in the end as you say Animal but that loss that night was horrible. Lee Bradbury I believe scored hatrick. I thowt wid blown it too but when the pressure was on Wolves simply couldn't hack it.

Never been to Fratton park, I don't recall us having much success darn theear in my time as a fan. A remember a 3-1 win in the late 90s but on the whole we've mostly been turned over. One bizzare game was a 4-4 draw when we scored 2 late goals to snatch a point. Robert Prosinecki was on fire for them that day as he was in the reverse fixture at Oakwell, he were some player wo that lad, one of the best I've seen in the flesh. A genuine world class footballer
    I'd take another 4-4 this saturday

Memories o me kickin off at me mate Rodney for fallin asleep during a 0-0 encounter, the yr escapes me.

Quote Originally Posted by bankendbfc View Post
    Memories o me kickin off at me mate Rodney for fallin asleep during a 0-0 encounter, the yr escapes me.
    A bet the year escapes Rodney n all