+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is PW the right man for the job?

Is PW the right man for the job?

After reading this from PW I now believe he thinks we are doomed and going down.

Quote from PW:

“To concede a late goal is disgusting, if I’d have scored it, I’d have been happy, It was a great day as I stood there as their manager thinking ‘these lads are great’. Are they taking on the information we give them and are they the best they can be? Yeah, I think they are. That gives me great pride and hope with the 13 games remaining."

It's the "Are they taking on the information we give them and are they the best they can be? Yeah, I think they are." that has me worried because their best is not good enough! He should be looking to make them better on a daily basis not accept that this is the best they can do!

The players do not have to take any responsibility for results, they have no accountability because the boss does not think they can do any better.

Who was it that said nice guys finish last?

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    After reading this from PW I now believe he thinks we are doomed and going down.

Quote from PW:

“To concede a late goal is disgusting, if I’d have scored it, I’d have been happy, It was a great day as I stood there as their manager thinking ‘these lads are great’. Are they taking on the information we give them and are they the best they can be? Yeah, I think they are. That gives me great pride and hope with the 13 games remaining."

It's the "Are they taking on the information we give them and are they the best they can be? Yeah, I think they are." that has me worried because their best is not good enough! He should be looking to make them better on a daily basis not accept that this is the best they can do!

The players do not have to take any responsibility for results, they have no accountability because the boss does not think they can do any better.

Who was it that said nice guys finish last?
    Vaulks, Ajayi, Smith all improved immeasurably under Warne. Vaulks wasn't up to the pace of the championship when he first arrived, looked far too leggy from playing the slower, ****ter, Scottish game. He has improved season upon season, to become our leader. Ajayi, though he is still capable of gaffs, is another who has became a saleable asset. Smith was branded a lower league donkey coming off the bench for bloody Bury, but he has got leaner and stronger. Warne always said he was a championship player in waiting, with little prior evidence to add credence to his views, so he deserves credit there too.

Forde was up there with Fisher as our worst player under Stubbs. Now he is not everyone's cup of tea but he contributes and his eight assists last season were valuable. Taylor couldn't hit a barn door and his crosses couldn't beat the first man before Warne arrived. He's still absolutely ****e on his day but his crossing and goal return have improved. Williams has had the most sustained spell of form of his career under Warne. Personal problems and injuries have dictated he has never really done it for long elsewhere. Wood was brought back from the dead, rarely made the squad before Warne arrived. Ihiekwe we plucked from the conference and he was many peoples MOTM on Saturday. Proctor, though he looks knackered now, has looked a better player for us then he managed at Bolton, Bradford and Fleetwood. Mattock is playing his best football for years. In fact, this season has probably been his best for us. Robertson, I don't think anyone had heard of before Warne signed him. He's been brave in slotting Wiles in all season too. Even Kieffer Moore had scarcely scored a football league goal before he joined us. Warne has a proven track record of improving lesser known players for us. His job of keeping us in the championship this season, with a threadbare, league one squad, is one of the hardest jobs in all the leagues.

If the players were not taking responsibility for results, we wouldn't have the seen the high press and tempo we had against Leeds, Wednesday etc. Lack of quality is obvious for all to see but definitely they haven't downed tools. If you plopped us in League one now we wouldn't even have the best squad in the division. Warne has done and continues to do a remarkable job with the poorest squad on paper I think we have ever had in this division. With only Smith up front, if we stay up this season, it will be a remarkable achievement.

The daft thing is if we had a striker who'd got another 5-6 goals, be it of the bench or starting, and turned some of them draws in to wins, then we'd be home and hose by now. Now that is the board's fault for not backing us in our last 3 championship transfer windows. Or perhaps it is the towns fault for not filling the ground and convincing Tony Stewart to dip into his pockets. It would be almost deranged to suggest it's Warne's fault. I'm not suggesting you are saying that all but lack of financial ambition is what will send us down. Any other quibbles with tactics, formations etc, are wholey irrelevant when you look at every other team in this division and then you look at our squad of misfits. Mind you, Let's see if Reading's trillion January signings take responsibility for results....We're certainly not dead and buried yet.
    Last edited by daveemiller; 19-02-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Who else does the job then? It’s a genuine question because IMO we’re doing the best we can. We aren’t a big club, we don’t have a bottomless pit of cash and we can’t just sign million pound players for fun like someone on twitter wanted us to.

I think Warne made the mistake of fetching Yates back from his loan
    spell, where fetching Ball back from Bradford City would have been a better
    option, we signed Ball has a goal scorer, but hes not been given the chance.
    Yates is well out of his depth in the championship, hes not a strong player.
    To Warne being capable of doing the managers job, I would have been happier
    if he had a mentor to guide him through his apprenticeship from the start.
    How things are going with all the mates Warne has, we will end up with more
    people on the coaching staff, than players.
    Warne has to be ruthless & put his stamp on the job.

Beat Reading on saturday and PW will be one the true millers legends .

Such is football !!!

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Beat Reading on saturday and PW will be one the true millers legends .

Such is football !!!
    Yes you are right animal,these constant threads about PW,is he the right man for the job,are just pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by dmentor View Post
    Yes you are right animal,these constant threads about PW,is he the right man for the job,are just pointless.
    Can I start one asking if PW is the wrong man for the job

It's time for a boring analogy, but to me it fits our situation.

Build a luxurious, grand house on dodgy foundations, then it will always be on the verge of collapse. Rebuild it, paper over the cracks, but until you sort those foundations out it will never be solid.

Put solid foundations down then you have the potential to build anything you want, depending on your budget, but the foundations will ensure it is stable.

Clubs like Wednesday aren't exactly a luxurious grand house, but the foundations are made of quicksand. They throw money at the team season after season and are managing mid table blandness, they could have been dragged into the relegation mire had they not papered over another crack and binned off Luhukay.

Paul Warne has built some very solid foundations with the team he has, there's a real spirit and hard working mentality amongst them. But thats where it ends, we are just a derelict building site at the minute, crying out for some development.

Thats why it is so frustrating, it wouldn't take much to make us competitive. We don't need 11 fancy signings, just a bit of quality and some extra depth for cover. Add that to what Warney has built then we would probably be mid table. Keep the ethos going for a few years, a steady build if you like, then we could be competitive at the top end of the table.

Warney has done his bit and continues to improve, the reasons why we are not adding the player quality have been debated over and over. All I know is that if we do go down, then we have missed a really solid opportunity to start a gradual build in this League

I think yes, but maybe need a more experienced tactically-aware coach to work alongside him.

Like Solskjaer and Phelan.
    Last edited by great_fire; 19-02-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Is he the right man for the job? - No

Is he the only man for the job? - Yes, considering he fits in with the club’s budget and aspirations

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast