+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hoban

I would give him a year contract once he is over this injury. A cracking player there if he stays fit, and worth yhe risk for a year i reckon.

As an example, Celtic took a punt on Gordon who had been out for 2 years with serious knee injury and he has been a mainstay ever since

Article from a sh@terag today

Tommie Hoban felt a clunk and knew straight away he was in serious trouble.

So much so that in the days after his cruciate curse struck again, the defender doubted he could trek the road to recovery.

Only 25 years old but having suffered his second major knee injury in as many seasons on top of shoulder surgery, he thought long and hard about chucking it.

Almost six weeks on from the Aberdeen player – on loan from Watford – being stretchered off against St Mirren, he’s focusing on silver linings not goodbyes.

Like the fact he has young son Finley to help him travel the long road that rehab inevitably means.

Hoban, who only played nine games at Dons, said: “Mentally it is very hard. The first few days after I suffered the injury I was just thinking to myself, ‘I can’t go through this again, there is such a long road ahead’. There is that fear – is it going to happen again? You start to doubt your body.

“I had to get those negative thoughts out of my head because being a footballer, there aren’t many jobs like it and if I was to call it a day now I know 100 per cent I would regret it in say five years’ time.

“I am still only 25 and I know I can get over it. I know it would be silly and rash if I was to call it a day.

“It will be a tough six months ahead and there will be days when I am down and struggling.

“But mentally I need to keep strong because there are a lot worse things that can happen in life. I was devastated but when I got in the door and saw Finley smiling, that put things into perspective. I will get more time to spend around him, which will be good. That will be the one bonus I can take from the injury.

“I have a good family and support network and they’ll help to keep me on the right road.”

Those around him at Pittodrie played a major part in keeping him in a positive mindset as well.

And if there is a positive to be found it’s the fact it was the other knee he’d injured previously.

Hoban, hoping to be back fully fit by October, said: “I was closing someone down and I planted my left leg. I felt a clunk and my knee buckling. I knew right away something serious had happened.

“It was a lot different to the other cruciate. It was more innocuous because I kept training then went out the next day but my knee kept bucking on me. I had to wait a couple of days for the scans but I knew it was bad and my cruciate. The doctors and physios were brilliant.

“Derek McInnes told me he had a lot of injuries in the early part of his career then a good five or six-year run without them.

“I have to have that belief I can now come back and put a similar run together.”

Hoban, meanwhile, isn’t closing the door on a return to Aberdeen.

With his Watford deal up in the summer, Dons boss McInnes said he’d bring Hoban in if he wanted a permanent move.

And Hoban said: “It was really kind of him. I loved my time at Aberdeen. The boys are great, the staff are brilliant and I enjoyed living up there with the family although it was shorter than we’d hoped.

“I would consider going back if it was an option.”

Hoban remains in limbo about his Watford future and added: “I don’t know if they’ll offer me anything or not but it doesn’t change what I know I need to do. I have to focus on getting fit.”

Seriously injured in the past and out of contract. McInnes will sign him

Quality player but horrible injury history. I think i would take the gamble on him.

He’s clearly a good player.
    But we can’t afford to have one of our highest earners (even if we could offer enough to persuade him to come) likely to be out injured most of his contract.
    The simple fact is that some sportspeople have bodies that let them down.
    Tommie Hoban appears to be one of them sadly.
    Liked him as a player, but too much of a gamble in my opinion.

Seems like a really nice, genuine guy and a good player. Felt really sorry for him at the time of the injury, and even worse for him having read that article.

However... it would be utter madness to give him a permanent deal. We've wasted a heap of money on Stevie May who has managed to at least stay fit, but is nowhere near the same player he was before his serious injury. Hoban might come back but it's unlikely he'll be the same player. It's more likely that he'll come back, play a handful of games, get injured again and that'll be the end of him. Our money would be better spent on someone else.

As much I as can never fathom AFC's policy of bringing in players with known medical issues albeit resolved.
    I would take a punt on him
    Deal breaker for me .... vastly reduced wage and a one year contract
    He is undoubtedly a good technically gifted player
    Seems keen to stay which is half the battle
    Lowe & Hogan would be the exception to the rule to sign on if available

Players with known medical issues have haunted us this season
    May - So disappointed with him
    Devlin : Good player but again injuries cost us consistency at the back
    Wilson : Nothing to say - waste of wages has not be interested from day one

Quote Originally Posted by KIWIRED View Post
    As much I as can never fathom AFC's policy of bringing in players with known medical issues albeit resolved.
    I would take a punt on him
    Deal breaker for me .... vastly reduced wage and a one year contract
    He is undoubtedly a good technically gifted player
    Seems keen to stay which is half the battle
    Lowe & Hogan would be the exception to the rule to sign on if available

Players with known medical issues have haunted us this season
    May - So disappointed with him
    Devlin : Good player but again injuries cost us consistency at the back
    Wilson : Nothing to say - waste of wages has not be interested from day one
    One year, pay as you play, deal is the only thing I'd be offering him. Or insert some kind of clause that says contract terminated if he ends up with an injury that's going to keep him out any longer than 2 months. Sounds harsh on the guy, but surely he'd be understanding. I doubt he's going to be inundated with offers. A standard contract is too much of a risk.

Fair comment, pay as you play.
    Sounds like a good plan

Whilst pay as you play sounds good in respect of saving cash it is not much use if he gets crocked on the 1st of September as we are then a centre back down for months - having money in the bank doesn't help when you can't sign a replacement for months. Fine player though he is we just need to move on and sign someone else instead that can play 30+ games a season

I think signing a player who has had two cruciate injuries is madness

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast