+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match Ratings vs Newport

Match Ratings vs Newport

Usually it’d be blanket low scores after a heavy defeat but I felt a few individuals did still do themselves justice...

Schofield - 4 - Didn’t take control on set-pieces and crosses, which for me was the biggest factor in the defeat. Partially at fault for the second and third on this basis. That may seem harsh against a ****ager still learning the game - but we needed someone to hit the ground running. Will probably go onto have a good career but, right now, I’m not even convinced he’s a major upgrade on Fitzsimons.

Rose - 5 - Excellent going forward for the first 30 mins, but wasted crossing opportunities after then and repeatedly allowed crosses from his flank. An off-day.

Stubbs - 5 - Probably a lesson for him that L2 isn’t as easy as it may have appeared. Struggled against a v strong striking partnership, but a big ask to expect him to lead our defensive unit at the age of 20.

Barclay - 4 - Hasn’t convinced me, even in the wins, in the same way Stubbs has. Bullied on the day and quality on the ball was poor. May be worth replacing him with a more physical/senior CB against direct teams where our senior midfield will be bypassed.

Milsom - 7 - Excellent again. Defended well and drive forward played a key part in the goal.

Alessandra - 5 - Some neat play on the ball but no real impact/end product.

O’Brien - 8* - Never gave up, never hid. Always tried to drive things on. Forced the keeper into 3/4 good saves with long range efforts (inc for the goal). Couple of misplaced passes but that was due to trying something and not taking the easy option. Expected him to be a bit of a destroyer but has genuine quality on the ball.

Doyle - 5 - Another harsh lesson learnt may be that, at 37, it will be difficult for him to play Saturday/Tuesday as part of a two-man midfield. Lost the battle with Labadie on the day. Thought Ardley bottled the decision to take him off/save him for Saturday. Was far too deep second half.

Boldewijn - 6 - Always a threat and in fairness to him never shirked his defensive duties. Found it difficult to have an impact once they sat in and defended deep.

Hemmings - 6 - At fault with for the first goal but instantly made amends. Seems to be the new scapegoat going by those around me, but didn’t feel he did a lot wrong - other than clearly not functioning as a pair with Gomis as they wanted to occupy the same areas.

Gomis - 5 - Snatches at his shots and can’t see him scoring many while he’s here, but his pace is essential to the overall plan as he stretches teams. A game that highlighted Stead is still worth his place in the 11 as the deeper link-man; Hemmings and Gomis both played too high which meant the gap between midfield and forwards was massive.

CMS - 7 - Lively, again, but onto a loser coming on at 1-4. Certain to come back into the team on Saturday.

Stead - 7 - Had an impact, won a few headers, hit one great long-ranger which looked in but hit the side-netting, but like CMS had little chance against a physical defence camped out in their own box with a three-goal lead.

These look pretty fair to me.

On the subject of Labadie, I thought he showed what a useful player he can be last night. He's tall, strong, and not bad on the ball. Nearly scored with that excellent drive, too.

I don't think many keepers would have been able to do a lot with the goals to be honest, it's alright saying they should come for them but not only were the deliveries good, a lot of the time there was just far too many bodies in front of him to get anywhere. Milsom was also at fault for one of the goals, not winning his header at the back post, but i guess you can't win every header all game, if it had been Dan Jones people would have slaughtered him for it though.

Also agree with you regarding Hemmings and Gomis, Hemmings didn't do much wrong and scored a goal, his link up play was fine but Gomis didn't really offer him a great deal in help, the partnership didn't work and he really needs a goal soon otherwise I can't see him doing a great deal in a Notts shirt.

Normally I’d agree with a lot of freemuzzy’s ratings but I think he’s been a bit generous in places.

Schofield and the young defenders were battered and anyone watching from Tranmere or Vale will know exactly how to play against us. They weren’t offered much protection from either of their full backs who defensively were both poor, particularly Milsom.

As others have said, JOB was by a distance MothM as Doyle looked knackered, Enzio was largely ineffective and Alessandra was terrible, a real weak link going forward. The front two were a bit of farce, constantly running into the same spaces and looking at each other in frustration. Gomis has a poor first touch, especially in the box,, and Hemmings doesn’t want to do any of the donkey work that someone like CMS did on Saturday, which I suspect is why some people got a bit frustrated with him.

Agree with freemuzzy pretty much although you could give Allessandra a four, he was awful tonight, so many short and misplaced passes.

The keeper is a real worry he looks no better than Pindroch in the checkatrade to me. The defence don't trust him, they absolutely will not pass it back to him and he's rooted to his line.
    Fitz may not be a world beater but with a defence in front of him I think he's still the better of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    Agree with freemuzzy pretty much although you could give Allessandra a four, he was awful tonight, so many short and misplaced passes.

The keeper is a real worry he looks no better than Pindroch in the checkatrade to me. The defence don't trust him, they absolutely will not pass it back to him and he's rooted to his line.
    Fitz may not be a world beater but with a defence in front of him I think he's still the better of the two.
    We needed a goalie who could come in and inspire his defence - someone like Russell Hoult when he came to us on loan a decade ago. Schofield isn’t physically commanding and is unsure about when to leave his line (twice last night Stubbs, I think, had to bail him out when he didn’t come for through balls that should have been his). He and Gomis are the two biggest doubts of the new arrivals, but they are both 19 and learning their trade. I think Gomis should be coming on after 65-70 minutes, when defences are tiring; he’s not done enough to start on Saturday.

I also think we need another midfielder in the team - I’d like it to be Kellett, but he seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth again.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    We needed a goalie who could come in and inspire his defence - someone like Russell Hoult when he came to us on loan a decade ago. Schofield isn’t physically commanding and is unsure about when to leave his line (twice last night Stubbs, I think, had to bail him out when he didn’t come for through balls that should have been his). He and Gomis are the two biggest doubts of the new arrivals, but they are both 19 and learning their trade. I think Gomis should be coming on after 65-70 minutes, when defences are tiring; he’s not done enough to start on Saturday.

I also think we need another midfielder in the team - I’d like it to be Kellett, but he seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth again.
    You're dead right about Russell Hoult. He's was just about the perfect lower division goalkeeper. Big, powerful, vocal and fearless. He would've come out with both fists for the ball last night and scared the life out of Jamille Matt. In short Hoult made the 6 yard area his own.

I don't rate either of our current goalies to be frank but it is what it is and we will have to defend better - a lot better - if we are to get out of the sh!t we find ourselves in !!

Quote Originally Posted by karl wheatly View Post
    He would've come out with both fists for the ball last night and scared the life out of Jamille Matt. In short Hoult made the 6 yard area his own.
    Which time? It's no good claiming you can make the 6 yard box your own if the balls don't reach the 6 yard box... The keeper could do nothing with goals 1, 2 and 4 at all, Milsom is at fault for the second goal, he doesn't win his header at the back post and in the time that header comes to Jamille Matt, Usain Bolt isn't getting to the ball before Matt heads it past him.

On the third goal, it's way too much of a scramble for him to come off his line again, he should'nt be trying to claim the initial ball from the throw in, it's way too dangerous trying to run through bodies and get that far away from your goal with so many bodies around you, with where it landed and how long it took to get there you have to rely on your defenders to try and win some of the first balls. When it eventually bounces up in the air for Jamille Matt to overhead kick, Rob Milsom again, is in between the ball and Matt and should be heading it away or at least putting his head in there where it hurts, there's almost an argument that the goal could have been dissalowed for a high foot considering Milsom could head the ball if JM's foot doesn't appear in front of his face, you wouldn't expect a ref to give it but I have seen it given before.

I think it was the second goal I had down as Allessandra being at fault. He stood watching whilst they took a short throw and then made no effort to stop the cross, effectively letting him pinpoint where he wanted to put it. Against a physical side like that, you've got to work harder to stop crosses going in.

Similarly, in the build up to the 4th goal, after having cleared the initial danger, the defender only had one option which was to play it down the line. Enzio (I think) shpuld have read this and covered his only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    I think it was the second goal I had down as Allessandra being at fault. He stood watching whilst they took a short throw and then made no effort to stop the cross, effectively letting him pinpoint where he wanted to put it. Against a physical side like that, you've got to work harder to stop crosses going in.

Similarly, in the build up to the 4th goal, after having cleared the initial danger, the defender only had one option which was to play it down the line. Enzio (I think) shpuld have read this and covered his only option.
    Out of the masses of goals we’ve conceded this season, how many have been preventable? I dread to think, but just looking back over the past few games, mistakes played a part in most of them. Schofield handling outside the box at FGR; Hemmings giving the ball away for the first against Newport and Barclay failing to clear; Alessandra not pressing for the second and Milsom losing the header; nobody getting a good header on the ball for the third; Enzio and Mitch Rose not stopping the cross and Armand getting a free header in the box for the fourth.

We’re not going to keep 13 clean sheets until the end of the season, but we’ve got to make the opposition work a lot harder for their goals than Tuesday night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast