+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T: Anna Soubry becomes a leaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I hope so. If this leads to a new party made up of people who think Labour have lurched too far to the left and the Tories have lurched too far to the right they might be worthy of consideration.

At least it puts all the defecting anti british remoaning MP’s in one party so democrats can vote against them.

Anna stood for election on a Conservative platform. I, and no doubt many in the constituency, voted for her on the basis she would support a Conservative government. As she clearly feels unable to do this, the only honorable thing to do is call a by-election. I realise that this isn't going to happen, but it should. And should in all cases where a sitting MP resigns their party whip (or has it removed).

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    It doesn’t matter what she thinks, her job is to represent the majority of what her constituents voted for, or are you to think to understand the basic principles of democracy.
    Well, one of is certainly "to think" to understand it.

So you're saying that all those MPs where the majority vote was to remain should be doing all they can to prevent Brexit? Or does democracy only work when you agree with it? I've said it many times, the only truly democratic way to represent the 52/48 vote split is for Mrs May to negotiate a very soft Brexit. I'm sure that as a true advocate of democracy you would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by deadyoyomagpie View Post
    Anna stood for election on a Conservative platform. I, and no doubt many in the constituency, voted for her on the basis she would support a Conservative government. As she clearly feels unable to do this, the only honorable thing to do is call a by-election. I realise that this isn't going to happen, but it should. And should in all cases where a sitting MP resigns their party whip (or has it removed).
    My vote went to Greg Marshall. Never did trust that bloody Soubry woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    My vote went to Greg Marshall. Never did trust that bloody Soubry woman!
    The trouble is, the Conservative voters had no choice but to trust her. She was THE Conservative candidate. Do you agree with the principle that if a sitting MP changes political allegiance, a by-election should be called?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    I'm not sure how accurate that figure can be given the website is of such a poor GCSE grade that it allowed anyone to register multiple times.

Here's a list of a few folks that make up that 100k figure

Mr P. Nesshead
    Mr G. String
    Mr Y. Front
    Mr T. Osser
    Mr B. Oddie
    Haha I applied under the name Mike Hunt.

I hope all these right wing nobbychoks demanding that Soubry and co should have a by election are equally adamant that Farage should quit as an MEP now that he’s not in UKIP anymore.

The trouble is, the Conservative voters had no choice but to trust her. She was THE Conservative candidate.
    Maybe, but she was a passionate remain campaigner before the 2016 Brexit vote, and continued her strong opposition to leaving before, during and after the 2017 general election. You knew what you were voting for.

Do you agree with the principle that if a sitting MP changes political allegiance, a by-election should be called?
    Difficult one. In a general election you are voting for a person to represent your constituency in parliament rather than voting for a political party. I realise party allegiance probably accounts for 90+% of votes, and Soubry wouldn't stand a cat in hell's chance of being re-elected as an independent. Whatever happens, I hope this gives politics the kick up the arse it needs.

I'm not sure how accurate that figure can be given the website is of such a poor GCSE grade that it allowed anyone to register multiple times.

Here's a list of a few folks that make up that 100k figure

Mr P. Nesshead
    Mr G. String
    Mr Y. Front
    Mr T. Osser
    Mr B. Oddie
    I'm pretty sure that the 'Brexit Party' will not have accrued 100,000 members in less than a week. The logistics of that are too great for a start. They may well have had people clicking a link to say they showed an interest in becoming a member or wanting to find out more, but parting with money and signing up....No. i don't think they have even published a manifesto yet so what would people be joining? The name Brexit party (not a lot of creativity employed in coming up with that) smacks of short termism so not something that a lot of people would over commit to.

No it isn't. That is not how UK democracy works at all.
    Obviously the same applies to Chris Leslie. Strange that no comment was made on here , upon his defection.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast