+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Sectarianism

O/T Sectarianism

Not that it has ever disappeared from Scottish fitba, but with the latest chapter seeing Steve Clarke abused at Govan erse cheeks ground last night it’s issue has again been raised. Not surprising that certain individuals connected, loosely or otherwise, to the clubs where this kind of behaviour has been going on for decades are voicing their opinions saying that there is very little that can be done to combat the vile behaviour of some sections of their supporters

how’s about the SPFL enforcing UEFA’s strict liability rules and forcing these clubs to shut down stands where the abuse is coming from, or forcing the said clubs to play behind closed doors if its coming from all areas? these clubs couldn’t give a monkeys phukk if someone is being abused, it’s only money that they are interested in, take that away on a large scale, not a £10k fine kinda scenario, then let’s see if it makes a difference?

I think every right minded fan would agree with the above, but here's the problem - the very bodies that are in a position to act are themselves full of people who don't wish to see draconian action.
    Until the non Celtic and the Rangers clubs vote out these people and create a new clean body that acts in the interests of ALL the clubs I suspect this will just continue

I would put in a protocol of escalating sanctions that goes something like this:

1) Club gets formal written warning advising that they have entered the first stage of the sanctions process.
    2) Continued sectarian behaviour = Club gets a £100k fine
    3) Continued sectarian behaviour = Club gets a a 2pt deduction and a further £100k fine
    4) Continued sectarian behaviour = Club gets a a 4pt deduction and a further £100k fine
    5) Continued sectarian behaviour = Club gets a a 4pt deduction, a further £100k fine and has to play its next home game behind closed doors

etc, etc

It's just about money. Sectarianism sells in the West so nothing gets done about it as the governing bodies of the sport in this country deliberately turn a blind eye.

As you say, it's easy to sort this out by making it prohibitively expensive for the clubs to allow it. What are the chances of that though?
    Last edited by TerryTheTerror; 21-02-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Speelin' erroors.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    It's just about money. Sectarianism sells in the West so nothing gets done about it as the governing bodies of the sport in this country deliberately turn a blind eye.

As you say, it's easy to sort this out by making it prohibitively expensive for the clubs to allow it. What are the chances of that though?
    It might be naive of me but it would be good to see a cross club fans forum dedicated to driving pressure on the subject, through Fan Clubs etc. Agreeing what the punishments should be is the easy bit, the hard part is getting the clubs to stand up to the ruling bodies on it and demand/enforce change.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    I think every right minded fan would agree with the above, but here's the problem - the very bodies that are in a position to act are themselves full of people who don't wish to see draconian action.
    Until the non Celtic and the Rangers clubs vote out these people and create a new clean body that acts in the interests of ALL the clubs I suspect this will just continue
    Not condoning it....but does anybody really care...or is it the times we live in where everybody is offended about something...is it any worse BNB or DABS...maybe just me but don't care what somebody shouts/sings at a football match...

Quote Originally Posted by petermackie View Post
    Not condoning it....but does anybody really care...or is it the times we live in where everybody is offended about something...is it any worse BNB or DABS...maybe just me but don't care what somebody shouts/sings at a football match...
    If it was racist like 70s / 80s would you take the same view. Steve Clarke is obviously not happy with it and in this instance he was singled out for religious chants

Quote Originally Posted by petermackie View Post
    Typical funster attitude to life

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    If it was racist like 70s / 80s would you take the same view. Steve Clarke is obviously not happy with it and in this instance he was singled out for religious chants
    Just thought it was a deflection from the result ...Kris Boyd was singled out on Sunday with similar abuse but he said Boyd was big enough to take that although the coin throwing was out of order....if killie had won don't think it would've bothered him

Quote Originally Posted by ahlltanyirhide View Post
    Typical funster attitude to life
    Not sure what you mean by that...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)