+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    Next to bugger all? Derby away, Norwich away, Stoke first match of season, thats just a few I remember.. a few below games doesn't make him a bad player, thats par for the course in the championship...how long before you gonna start knocking Ayling.
    So from the end of August to now? Yes, great start, but we can't rest on laurels, and we have had plenty (too many) players pick up injuries but when returned have been able to contribute. I didn't say he was a "bad player" just that he's not contributing (and hasn't, for quite some time). And yes, you could level the same criticism at Ayling, why not, why should he be judged differently just because he performed will last season.

To take up a favourite theme, we replaced BPF as No.1 GK BEFORE any "dip in form" or dip in team performance, so it's not as though a position is sacred to one player, is it? So how come the likes of Harrison, Douglas etc get an easy ride from those who think they are "class" but who do next to bugger all, NOW?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    So from the end of August to now? Yes, great start, but we can't rest on laurels, and we have had plenty (too many) players pick up injuries but when returned have been able to contribute. I didn't say he was a "bad player" just that he's not contributing (and hasn't, for quite some time). And yes, you could level the same criticism at Ayling, why not, why should he be judged differently just because he performed will last season.

To take up a favourite theme, we replaced BPF as No.1 GK BEFORE any "dip in form" or dip in team performance, so it's not as though a position is sacred to one player, is it? So how come the likes of Harrison, Douglas etc get an easy ride from those who think they are "class" but who do next to bugger all, NOW?
    No I just used the early part of the season to show you he has done far more than bugger all, and even if he hadnt done bugger all since, you are wrong with your statement. I've already told you his match stats has him as our 6th highest rated player based on the WHOLE of this season...

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    No I just used the early part of the season to show you he has done far more than bugger all, and even if he hadnt done bugger all since, you are wrong with your statement. I've already told you his match stats has him as our 6th highest rated player based on the WHOLE of this season...
    Depends on which statistics you want to use, the FIFA 19 table has him at No.2. Lies, damned lies, and statistics, it's all how you slice and dice. Of late (well, not quite so much "of late"), he and others (Forshaw for too much of the time, Harrison since he stepped out in a Leeds 1st team shirt!) have not made the contribution they did early doors (or at all), and as such they should be rested, replaced and/or shipped out, (including Brown), and focus put back where it belongs, on the squad that makes up the 1st team and subs week in, week out.

I ask again (yes, I make no apology for going back to the subject of the keeper), what makes these outfield players so special that they get game time (well most, Brown seems to be a permanent fixture in the U23s) when they are clearly either mismatched, or not suitable for the role they have been given, when it was eminently possible to replace a 1st choice goalkeeper with a more "suitable" alternative without there being any massive drop in GK performance?

Solid Player.

Think he's one of those players that is a quiet contributor that's missed when he's not in the line up or not 100%. we definitely can use him and Gerardi back.

Hoping that Izzy is a good as he was last year before being injured. would be really nice way to close out the season.

Brown is being held back so he can be unleashed to reak havoc and terrorise defences for the last half dozen games and 18 points.
    Either that or he is fked, or Bielsa thinks he is carp, or both.

Just an observation... Why is it that some on here keep stating the "in Bielsa we trust" philosophy in matters such as naming the match team early...but the same trust doesn't seem to exist with him playing the likes of Harrison or Douglas. It appears this "trust" only matters when agreed with the opinion of the individual on here. Sounds like only half trust to me then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    Just an observation... Why is it that some on here keep stating the "in Bielsa we trust" philosophy in matters such as naming the match team early...but the same trust doesn't seem to exist with him playing the likes of Harrison or Douglas. It appears this "trust" only matters when agreed with the opinion of the individual on here. Sounds like only half trust to me then.
    Just an observation in return. It's possible (even preferable?), to have differing opinions in a debate whilst still having confidence (faith?), in the overall direction? I'm of the opinion that despite early doors good performance, Douglas is a passenger, as is Harrison (particularly), and Forshaw. Others differ, including the coach. I can't expect them to change their opinion, or the coach to make selections based on mine, neither am I just going to shut up because my opinion doesn't tie in, just saying.

Just an observation in return. It's possible (even preferable?), to have differing opinions in a debate whilst still having confidence (faith?), in the overall direction? I'm of the opinion that despite early doors good performance, Douglas is a passenger, as is Harrison (particularly), and Forshaw. Others differ, including the coach. I can't expect them to change their opinion, or the coach to make selections based on mine, neither am I just going to shut up because my opinion doesn't tie in, just saying.
    Never asked you to shut up?? There are others on here that have a similar outlook. But typically, you get agro because someone states something that doesn't back your thoughts! If you have such great faith in our manager, then why are you suddenly a better judge of players than him??? Others, inlcuding myself, have doubts on Harrison but are prepared to say Bielsa must know what he is doing. You are basically saying he must be wrong to be playing them. I find that a little hypocritical...

And as far as "opinion" and "debate" goes. Most will see that I usually give an opinion, and leave others to have theirs. And accept their right to a differing one. These forums are for debate also no doubt. Be it sensible. The difference I see between opinion and debate, is that in real terms, the latter usually requires a winner. I'll leave it to others to determine where they think each user fits in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    Never asked you to shut up?? There are others on here that have a similar outlook. But typically, you get agro because someone states something that doesn't back your thoughts! If you have such great faith in our manager, then why are you suddenly a better judge of players than him??? Others, inlcuding myself, have doubts on Harrison but are prepared to say Bielsa must know what he is doing. You are basically saying he must be wrong to be playing them. I find that a little hypocritical...

And as far as "opinion" and "debate" goes. Most will see that I usually give an opinion, and leave others to have theirs. And accept their right to a differing one. These forums are for debate also no doubt. Be it sensible. The difference I see between opinion and debate, is that in real terms, the latter usually requires a winner. I'll leave it to others to determine where they think each user fits in.
    Didn't say you suggested I shut up, but others have, and I suspect will in the future, when my opinions differ from theirs. Neither did I say I was a better judge of players, just that I have an opinion regarding certain players that would lead them to be sent back if a loanee, or "rested"/sold if not, but I'm happy to acknowledge that that isn't my problem to solve. You're right that there must be a reason (or reasons) Harrison continues to get 1st team game time, but contributing on the pitch is hardly one of them. I think Bielsa is wrong to play him, he doesn't, which doesn't mean I lack confidence in Bielsa, just that I don't share his opinion regarding Harrison and others. I DON'T have BLIND faith in anything, and certainly not something as capricious as football, (management, players or anything else), and I'd suggest those who do are just that, blind.

I can hardly argue with the performance overall, when we have been in the top 6 since early doors, but I think that those who HAVE contributed in 1st team performances would have been assisted by not having to carry passengers, such as Harrison, Forshaw (more often than is acceptable), and Douglas (ditto), but that's just my opinion, (not hypocrisy), and I don't expect others to agree (all the time).
    Last edited by WTF11; 26-02-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Didn't say you suggested I shut up, but others have, and I suspect will in the future, when my opinions differ from theirs. Neither did I say I was a better judge of players, just that I have an opinion regarding certain players that would lead them to be sent back if a loanee, or "rested"/sold if not, but I'm happy to acknowledge that that isn't my problem to solve. You're right that there must be a reason (or reasons) Harrison continues to get 1st team game time, but contributing on the pitch is hardly one of them. I think Bielsa is wrong to play him, he doesn't, which doesn't mean I lack confidence in Bielsa, just that I don't share his opinion regarding Harrison and others. I DON'T have BLIND faith in anything, and certainly not something as capricious as football, (management, players or anything else), and I'd suggest those who do are just that, blind.

I can hardly argue with the performance overall, when we have been in the top 6 since early doors, but I think that those who HAVE contributed in 1st team performances would have been assisted by not having to carry passengers, such as Harrison, Forshaw (more often than is acceptable), and Douglas (ditto), but that's just my opinion, (not hypocrisy), and I don't expect others to agree (all the time).
    Fair enough. We disagreed somewhat to the value of Douglas recently...but we both left it at that to agree to disagree. Respectfully like it should be. But sometimes you appear to antaganise others on here by how strongly you word your disagreement. Basically suggesting others opinion are laughable and cannot possibly be right. A little more tact would be handy...even if you do think they are way off the mark.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)