+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Minority middle class sport radio priority

Quote Originally Posted by erchieplum View Post
    I have worked with quite a few Rugby fans who have had an aloof belief that Rugby is far better than football.
    I have asked for examples of the very best games, best attacking and defensive moves,best player,best teamwork etc etc and we can compare them with similar from football.
    I am very confident that I will will win without having to step up a gear to Brazil 1970, Holland,Pele,Puskas,Cruyff,Best, Messi etc etc
    I still await their response although having mentioned Brazil etc etc seems to have been enough for them to know their bluff has been called .
    There is a reason why football is such a world wide sport ( 4 Billion Fans ) and rugby doesn't even make the list of top ten sports
    Completely different sports so comparing them is pointless why don’t you ask to compare reactions to tackles considering rugby players get on with it and footballers fall over at the slightest touch. Also rugby makes it in at number 9 in top 10 sports.

I have worked with quite a few Rugby fans who have had an aloof belief that Rugby is far better than football.
    I have asked for examples of the very best games, best attacking and defensive moves,best player,best teamwork etc etc and we can compare them with similar from football.
    I am very confident that I will will win without having to step up a gear to Brazil 1970, Holland,Pele,Puskas,Cruyff,Best, Messi etc etc
    I still await their response although having mentioned Brazil etc etc seems to have been enough for them to know their bluff has been called .
    There is a reason why football is such a world wide sport ( 4 Billion Fans ) and rugby doesn't even make the list of top ten sports
    Tin hat on here but i Watched the england-scotland game today and i have to say it was better than any football match i've seen in a long long time,i dont understand most rules in rugby but by f@ck its better than watching poofs falling about at the faintest touch and the drama up til 83rd minute was cracking

Rugby ... Oh me min ... (shaks ma heid).

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    Rugby ... Oh me min ... (shaks ma heid).
    Shaks ma heid back at you

Quote Originally Posted by Basingstokered View Post
    Completely different sports so comparing them is pointless why don’t you ask to compare reactions to tackles considering rugby players get on with it and footballers fall over at the slightest touch. Also rugby makes it in at number 9 in top 10 sports.
    Apologies it is there a few places down from volleyball ,the reason that I compare is the "belief that Rugby is far better than football." both played by two teams on a large outside grass pitch with a ball with the aim of scoring at the opposition end .one had captured the imagination of the world the other not

my argument is that the rugger fans are not really comparing the sport of rugby with the sport of football. They are comparing the 6 nations to the premiership / champions league etc.

i will concede that the 6 nations might be a better spectacle than those, but any drop below that and rugby is completely unwatchable , proven by the fact even rugger buggers show little interest beyond top intetnationals, and football is By far the worlds most popular spectatator sport.

Football does not need to be played at the highest Level to be watchable and entertaining, hence why it is a far superior sport.

Their complaints about soft footballers falling over does Not really apply to highland league / junior football for example, and is not actually a critisism of the sport, just the conduct of those playing it a elete level.

It’s actually quite an interesting and skilful game when it’s played well. I started watching the game yesterday and within half an hour it looked as if it was game over! The second half was thrilling to watch even for someone who isn’t really into rugby, other than watching the occasional international game.

Admittedly there are some strange rules, for example, not being able to pass the ball forward - that one sounds strange to be honest but what it really means is that in open play the ball can only really be moved forward either by kicking it or linking up play while players are on the move with the ball running at speed.

I really don’t know what that scrum thing is all about though other than to say that I wouldn’t like to be in one!

I think I get lineouts and the off side rule though.

Rugger buggers tend to just sit on their high horse despite all the rugby club antics.

Did anyone see the French player going down like he'd been hit by morelos' sniper despite not even being touched?

Rugby will soon turn into English football. Just with more coke and drunken assaults.

Quote Originally Posted by MerklandRoad84 View Post
    my argument is that the rugger fans are not really comparing the sport of rugby with the sport of football. They are comparing the 6 nations to the premiership / champions league etc.

i will concede that the 6 nations might be a better spectacle than those, but any drop below that and rugby is completely unwatchable , proven by the fact even rugger buggers show little interest beyond top intetnationals,

Was discussing this with my boss who is a Saracens fan and he pointed out that yesterday's games were watched by over - 47,000 (Saracen v Harlequins), 27,000 (Newcastle v Sale), 23,000 (Leicester v. Northampton), 14,000 (Bristol v. Worcester) and 14,000 (Gloucester v Wasps).

So the total attendence from.all those games slightly over half the crowd of an English 6 nations home game.

Kind of prove my point there.

That is before you compare those crowds to most top flight English football teams.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast