+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top earners league two .

Quote Originally Posted by jscarr View Post
    To be fair to the chairman/manager at the time they thought Vaughan would offer championship quality. Sadly, he just doesn't cut it anymore, although he was a cracking player back in the day. I think in the future we've got to be more careful about signing older players, ensure there not injury prone, have the right attitude etc
    All we did was to sign midgets on big salaries in a league of 6 footers...That had disaster written all over it..Well done KN..

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Lot of “reportedly”, “rumoured”, and “apparentlys” in that video. Does it say anywhere where this info comes from?

Anyway, 5 grand a week to David Vaughan. That’s the best use of a wage since Sunderland started paying Jack Rodwell 70 grand a week.
    Absolutely right. No way on 5K .....

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    All we did was to sign midgets on big salaries in a league of 6 footers...That had disaster written all over it..Well done KN..
    With the greatest of respects Durham, Notts have been doing this for a lot longer than this season.
    I remember commenting on this when Notts played Sheff United on Sky a few years ago, in the tunnel there players dwarfed ours, and it’s never been rectified since.
    This League is determined more by physical presence than footballing ability. A league with more mistakes than the higher divisions. A league where set piece goals play a really important part of whether a team is successful.
    We seldom look like scoring from our set piece. And we are very vulnerable defending them.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    With the greatest of respects Durham, Notts have been doing this for a lot longer than this season.
    I remember commenting on this when Notts played Sheff United on Sky a few years ago, in the tunnel there players dwarfed ours, and it’s never been rectified since.
    This League is determined more by physical presence than footballing ability. A league with more mistakes than the higher divisions. A league where set piece goals play a really important part of whether a team is successful.
    We seldom look like scoring from our set piece. And we are very vulnerable defending them.
    I know an old bugger like me can go back further than most on here but I remember in the golden days of Jimmy Sirrell, when we romped the old 4th division in 1970/71, we had six first team players over six foot. Unbeaten in the league all season. Nobody intimidated us then.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    I know an old bugger like me can go back further than most on here but I remember in the golden days of Jimmy Sirrell, when we romped the old 4th division in 1970/71, we had six first team players over six foot. Unbeaten in the league all season. Nobody intimidated us then.
    Land of the giants

Whoever thought Vaughan could hack it in League 2 at his size needs to have words with themselves and then to pay him £5k a bloody week!!!

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Land of the giants
    Tall timber indeed I can remember Jimmy shouting at a reserve match give it to the giant {Mick Waite} so he must have been extra tall giant.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post

I can remember going to watch Notts play Leicester at the old Filbert Street in the cup, their fans couldn't believe the size of our team.
    Hateley, Bradd, Needham, Stubbs, Jones, Worthington and I think it was either Cozens or Barker who were all over 6 foot.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I can remember going to watch Notts play Leicester at the old Filbert Street in the cup, their fans couldn't believe the size of our team.
    Hateley, Bradd, Needham, Stubbs, Jones, Worthington and I think it was either Cozens or Barker who were all over 6 foot.
    They had Willy Carlin playing for them that day , so anyone over five foot six would have looked like a giant.

He came to Notts the season after, and greatly reduced the average height. Great player though.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    They had Willy Carlin playing for them that day , so anyone over five foot six would have looked like a giant.

He came to Notts the season after, and greatly reduced the average height. Great player though.
    As was Masson and later Carter, all relatively short. It's not just about being tall, some of these lanky ones jump lower than they stand. How often does Stead win a header?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast