+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Halford

He doesn't look fat at least but with almost a year without football, 34 and a series of injuries, it isn't ideal. He's experienced at least.

Best we could do considering.

Anyone know if he switches off for no apparent reason? If he doesn't then I can't see how he will fit in with our set up.

Came across very well in his interview with Red TV.
    Interesting that he said the first time he spoke to the manager was yesterday after the deal was pretty much done, but that McInnes had tried to sign him a couple of times previously.
    Was very honest in his reflections upon his career, said that he felt his versatility has held him back. He's moved for combined fees of several million pounds and has played over 400 games and scored about 60 goals, mostly at a level at least as good as what we're playing at.
    The questionmarks are over his fitness and whether he still has the desire at 34 - certainly seems to have decent calibre though. Fingers crossed he does well!

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    I think he needs game time and would benefit from starting tonight.
    I wasn't convinced by Ball against St Johnstone and counted at least 4 times that he let Kennedy away.
    They could have been at least 2 up before we scored.
    He settled later in the game, but I'm not convinced he see's danger and is prone to ball watching.

His best contribution was when he stepped into midfield and won the ball there before setting up the assists.

I fear Ryan Kent will rip him a new one and would be keen to see if Halfords experience would fare better in the SevCo game
    Its a difficult one to be honest. Do we go with the new guy who's clearly the more experienced and natural RB, but who has not played competitively for a year so no matter how much training he's done he's bound to lack sharpness & match fitness.

OR

Do we go with the guy who did well at the weekend & is up to speed match fitness wise, but is clearly not a natural RB and may be exposed badly as such in that position come Sunday?

I said I thought Ball was excellent last Saturday, and I stand by that, based on the fact he did very well in a difficult match playing in a position where he is clearly not a natural and has struggled in the past.

That said, he was caught out and exposed by Kennedy on a few occasions, and I agree Kent is a real danger to us down that side on Sunday with Ball in at RB.

So on balance I think I'd start Holford tonight and see how he goes. Hamilton at home should be about as gentle an introduction as you could hope for, and I'd definitely not want to throw him in against Sevco with no game time under his belt.

DM started Hoban in the first Burnley game with little game time and having only just joined, so he's done similar previously.

Interesting to see what he does tonight.

I agree with your reasoned response.

Giving him game time tonight at least gives an insight to the options ahead of the weekend.
    Otherwise, if he's just here for cover, what happens if Ball picks up an injury on Friday and when does he get game time ahead of crucial games.
    No direspect to Hamilton, but I'd rather Halford was introduced against them, than thrown in to the team for the weekends game

Get him straight in the first team for tonight
    why?

I wasn't convinced by Ball against St Johnstone
    That has to be a contender for "quote of the week"
    Ball had probably his best game he has ever had in Aberdeen shirt at the weekend but yet were not convinced by him

SF

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post
    Ball had probably his best game he has ever had in Aberdeen shirt at the weekend but yet were not convinced by him

SF
    I thought it was a fair enough point to make to be honest.

Ball played well, but he was skinned by Kennedy more than once and we got away with it - Devlin's deflection off the post for example.

Given Ball's limitations and obvious lack of natural fit at RB he did well, but Sunday is pretty much make or break for our season and I'm also not convinced Ball is the guy I'd want to go with up against Kent as I think we could be in trouble down that side.

Pretty straightforward really - afc1903mad can make valid points sometimes ...

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post

SF
    Still nae as good as your quote about shinnie being sh1te against the hiv's when he was clearly motm that game but this is a fan's forum and all about different opinions and all that

SF

I predict Halford will start tonight and be injured by Sunday, so we'll be back to Ball anyway. Or possibly some weird 3 at the back thing with Lowe and McGinn as wingbacks.

I'd play Halford against them. Nothing to lose.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast