+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnifying glass is useful

Magnifying glass is useful

I have just spent half an hour trying to log in, unsuccessfully. So how am i doing this? I have had a number of log in wotsits, and after todays latest, i examined with it a magnifying glass that is by my computer just in case. What i thought was an o or a zero was in fact a D.

So there you have it. Success. I still think computers, and all its paraphenalia is a waste of time.

Albert Einstein.

You’re right Frank. Computers are OK, but I really can’t see them catching on.

Computers and me don't really get on .

I think kids nowadays need to get back outside and start kicking a ball about something we don't see anymore due to them playing finger football on their computers playing their mates inside their bedroom ..

Kids miss out on real fun nowadays?.

As a kid i knew every road in Cambridge, i and the gang rode everywhere. I used to go trainspotting, yes really...in London without telling my parents. I put stones on railway lines, and nearly stopped a train. We used to explore derelict houses, go to libraries and actually read books. Collect things, keep rabbits, play football during daylight all day. Play cricket in summer. Play hide and seek in a cemetery, in the dark......Then we grew up.

Kids today are a different breed. God help them when the going gets tough. They top themselves for laughable reasons, take drugs, look like imbeciles, cant speak, read or write, and have an incredible sense of entitlement, as do the English generally.

Britain would be crushed in a war.

It sounds like you had a great childhood Frank,mine was ****,bullied at home and at school by a gang.on bikes that roamed around Arnold,I used to hang around our local park but right at the back where the old train line ran before Beecham got rid,there was a pillbox shaped concrete structure at the old Daybrook station that I can always remember,half buried and half above ground it wasn't until years later that i discovered that it was put there in WW2 to defend the station should the Germans invade,you can just see the outline on the ground if you know where to look,if I walk past that area I always look out for it for some reason,it's strange how some things draw you back

The beast always comes from the east Chalky. Even today. Its not only the Russians, i still count the French and Germans as the enemy. There is something inherently wrong over there. Just look at Macron. East Anglia is full of pill boxes. There are three near me. The nearest is on a slight hill with a vast field of fire. Another is about a mile away, and is bigger than usual, with bigger slits for a bigger gun than machine guns.

I walk Molly along the river Cam occasionally, and where i go, there are two pill boxes hidden amongst the trees. If the nazis overcame one, the next one was only yards further down. Anglia is on the front line with air bases and god knows what. I wouldnt be surprised if there wernt tactical, and small nuclear bombs here.

They must have feared troops coming up rivers in 45, having said that, english rivers are tiny, the only advantage being rapid advance. Those pill boxes would have knocked any boat for six, even before the nazis could get a shot off. Then there would have been the fun of picking off those armed to the teeth nazis who fell into the water.

Knowing you chalky, you would have fished them out, given them a towel and a cup of tea, and when your back was turned youd have had your throat cut. If the nazis had invaded, the pillboxes would have held them up, for a while at least. Only a tank would brush them aside, and that would take a bridgehead to land them, and then get them inland, if they managed to land anything.

I don't know what I would do if I saw a Nazi drowning in 45 it I'm honest,I couldn't just let him die but then again he's not going to take me to the pub for a pint to thank me either is he?
    War does terrible things to mankind and who knows what the British did to the enemy during those brutal times,history is written by the victors after all,we all get judged the same way cometh the day though,some will be allowed through the door and others turned away

You have hit on an important point. I sense that you are a better person than me. When i was young i thought everyone was a good person, even bad people just needed a little guidance and advice.

This is not true.

Professionally and personally is is clear that some people, maybe most, most by far, are completely evil. In the bible jesus said something along the lines of what use is not forgiving and turning the other cheek.
    So of what use is it?
    In the above situation, if the enemy isnt killed, then you put yourself and your country at risk, on the surface it is repaying evil with evil.
    So if you let them live......does the penny drop? In everyday life the penny never drops, evil people continue being evil regardless, its the way they are built, its second nature. The nazis never thought they did anything wrong.

So if you turn the other cheek, you spare the lives of nazis and they go on to win the war, where is the good? Would they win the war? There was a star trek episode where data was captured by a psychopath who tortured and killed beings. He got to the point where he decided that his behaviour could not go on, so he fired his phaser to kill it..or him. At that point he was transported back to the ship, and it... survived.

Can evil be allowed to go on.? Is it our place to judge.? Does the penny drop? Your opinion is that of a good man, is of great value. I ask because i dont know.

It's all too deep for me Frank,I can't answer truthfully because I just don't know
    You said that when you was young you thought that everyone was a good person and bad people just needed guidance,well I was the opposite,I honestly thought that the majorly of people was evil and kind people was in the minority but I grew to learn that I was wrong and it was just my environment at that particular time,so the kids that picked on me was just being kids but you don't see that when you are young,my life has constantly crossed paths with one of the bullies and he is totally unaware of the misery.that he caused but he's a decent man as far as I can tell so he's not evil but 50 years ago I swear that I thought he was
    I mentioned on the Carlisle board about a programme that I watched a few days ago called Three Identical Strangers,it started off as a wonderful tale of triplets finding each other by chance,non of them knew about the others existence and they was overjoyed with each other but then the programme delved deeper into the place from where they got adopted and it was all part of an experiment to see how they would grow into adults and what similarities they had,how could someone do this as part of an experiment is beyond me,it has a very sad ending,I honestly felt like crying for them,you can still see it on catch up Frank,it's worth a watch
    We inherit who we are by our dna passed on through our parents even if we've never known them,the vast majority of people are kind but evil will never be erased from mankind and all you can do is try your best in life
    Last edited by cocopops61; 05-03-2019 at 07:40 PM.

I am sorry for the childhood you had. I hope you are living life on your own terms now. We all have problems expressing who we are, and what we want. If you dont do that, or havent at least started life is difficult. My parents both came from the backend of rural southern and eastern europe.
    My father died of cancer, and my one enduring regret, my only regret is not telling him that as a father he was a total failure.
    You are of course completely right by saying that we are programmed by dna before we are born.

On the Myers Briggs personality analysis the symptoms so to speak, of my type expresses itself everyday, its good to be aware of it. I cant remember what your type was, but it did fit. My type are introverted, hard to get to know, completely loyal, intuitive, creative, caring to a fault, loves little animals which includes very small animals like bugs and worms, and works tirelessly for the good of others. And a whole host of other things.

On the flip side, if wee get to the end of our tether with people, we are apt to go a bit crazy. Anything can happen, when we go bad its very bad. Those twins are from the same block, there will be many similarities. You should revist your personality type, you will learn many things. There will be a lot of videos on you tube about your type. Self knowledge is invaluable.

As for the original question giving chance after chance to people does not work, evil does not learn, no matter how many times you give the benefit of the doubt. To allow someone to hurt you in whatever way is not on, its a failure to learn on our part, the first refused chance is enough.

If the Russians invaded and i was faced with a smelly, rotten teethed, 7ft russian paratrooper from Moscow who was unarmed while i was holding a shotgun, guess what.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)