+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Else Doesn't Add Up

Something Else Doesn't Add Up

What I don't get is how in that three match run we were brilliant and then we are now back to a scrapping relegation fodder team.

Same players, same situation, same manager. Why the big contrast?

Teams have worked us out, which isn’t hard as we are so one dimensional

Yeah makes you wonder. Port Vale closed us down fast and we didn't seem to have much in reply (not helped by the crappy ref imho). That said against Mansfield we outfoxed, outworked and generally looked a class above. Seems a big contrast!

Pretty pointless post.

We have a lot of older players and you have to wonder about their fitness levels. Also confidence is a big thing, after the Newport and Tranmere games we don't have the same momentum we had. If we can pick up another win, I'm confident we can get another run going, albeit will have to be better than just 3 games.

I thought Vale played very well today, closed us down as soon as we got the ball, which made our players panic and mis control or play a poor pass. Options were very few and we resorted to the long ball up to stead but he was knocked
    Off it too easily. Vales midfielders created space and looked to have time and space which was down to a better tactical display. Defensively ok but lacked so much in midfield something needed to change early in the second half. It never happened

Quote Originally Posted by Pietastic View Post
    What I don't get is how in that three match run we were brilliant and then we are now back to a scrapping relegation fodder team.

Same players, same situation, same manager. Why the big contrast?
    I've seen this happen to Notts so many times in the past that I see it as a running joke now,there's been countless times in the past when I've seen them play an amazing game against top three teams only to get battered at home by the bottom clubs straight after,years ago I can remember Notts playing the most perfect game of football that I had seen,I think the score was 2-0 but that didn't reflect how well they played and inspired me to go again the following Tuesday (I hated night games) only to witness the exact team lose 0-5 to Macclesfield,those two games will stick in my memory for ever

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    I've seen this happen to Notts so many times in the past that I see it as a running joke now,there's been countless times in the past when I've seen them play an amazing game against top three teams only to get battered at home by the bottom clubs straight after,years ago I can remember Notts playing the most perfect game of football that I had seen,I think the score was 2-0 but that didn't reflect how well they played and inspired me to go again the following Tuesday (I hated night games) only to witness the exact team lose 0-5 to Macclesfield,those two games will stick in my memory for ever
    The classic example was beating the mighty Leeds away from home in the League Cup, then losing at home to lowly Oxford on the Saturday in front of the TV cameras.

As others have said, all I can think of for the turnaround in our results since the Lincoln, FGR and Mansfield games is that opposing teams have sussed us out. I couldn't believe how poor we were today and only managed to scrape a point thanks to our young goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    That 5-0 midweek home defeat to Macclesfield is one of the worst defeats I’ve ever known as a Notts fan. It was the stuff of nightmares, and same here it’s firmly ingrained in my memory. Tuesday 25th January 2005, some 14 years ago now.

Likewise the 5-1 defeat away to Rushden & Diamonds earlier that season was another horror show. I’ve never seen a Notts player be singlehandedly on the receiving end of so much anger from the fans as Matt Gill did that day when he was subbed.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Pretty pointless post.

Oh the irony 🙄

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast