+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greg Stewart

I really don't get it with Stewart. Yesterday he was poor - looked like the guy we had last season. The corner he gave away for the goal was ridiculous. Playing wide right seems to result in that type of performance though.

That said though, he's clearly one of the most skilful, intelligent and creative players we have in the squad. He shows it in flashes with us and clearly did so at Killie.

So why DM persists in playing him in a position that doesn't suit him - or us - I just don't understand. Its bizarre. Stewart out wide & McLennan in the middle just defies all logic, I'd love to hear the explanation for that one.

He & Wilson playing together could be a fantastic pairing IMHO - both share similar levels of intelligence and vision. I don't think we'll get to see it though given Wilson doesn't seem to do enough ever to justify getting picked and Stewart gets played in the wrong position constantly.

He just doesn't seem to fit with us. Given his level of ability, that's more of a reflection on us than him...

The thing is that he has played more in the No 10 position than he has out wide this time around, yet it's still not working for some reason. For instance he played in the No 10 role in the 3 games prior to last night and didn't particularly play well in any of them. I will repeat my guess about sevco that I gave last night, which is he roasted Barisic in the previous sevco game from the wide right position and I think McInnes tried to repeat that but it didn't work.

I think you are right about the type of forward he needs to have in the team though, which is a clever, quick thinking speedy type that plays on the last defender and would love to be slipped in by a Stewart pass, which clearly Cosgrove is not. Wilson might be if he could bother himself but clearly can't be arsed. Brophy is more that type of player, which is probably why he did better at Killie. Dundee had Kane Hemmings when Stewart played well there, another similar type player.

So I would say that there is no point in trying to sign Stewart for next season unless we also try to sign a forward with those attributes - would be a nice by-product to actually see some football played as well instead of hoofball to Cosgrove.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Moog View Post
    I really don't get it with Stewart. Yesterday he was poor - looked like the guy we had last season. The corner he gave away for the goal was ridiculous. Playing wide right seems to result in that type of performance though.

That said though, he's clearly one of the most skilful, intelligent and creative players we have in the squad. He shows it in flashes with us and clearly did so at Killie.

So why DM persists in playing him in a position that doesn't suit him - or us - I just don't understand. Its bizarre. Stewart out wide & McLennan in the middle just defies all logic, I'd love to hear the explanation for that one.

He & Wilson playing together could be a fantastic pairing IMHO - both share similar levels of intelligence and vision. I don't think we'll get to see it though given Wilson doesn't seem to do enough ever to justify getting picked and Stewart gets played in the wrong position constantly.

He just doesn't seem to fit with us. Given his level of ability, that's more of a reflection on us than him...
    Yeah, we didn't get the best out of McLennan yesterday either because he was also out of position. Fair enough if for some tactical reason you think Stewart should start wide right, but when the guys hardly impacting the game after half an hour, just switch it around and put him back in his natural position and let McLennan have a go at their left back instead.

I do agree that Stewart would probably do better alongside a smarter forward like Wilson who makes runs and can play a bit more than someone like Cosgrove. We're still belting long balls up to his heid far too often for my liking.

I think he needs a full pre-season...

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    I think he needs a full pre-season...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123