+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: "Two formal offers" made

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    Gawd Help Us.
    Bloody Hell, Derby owner is losing 3 mill a month!!!

Football really needs to sort itself out.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...mpression=true

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I noticed in Scoop's webchat that he said something along the lines of '48 might be enough'. Did anyone else think he meant we might hear something positive within 48 hours or was I simply wishful thinking?
    Seriously ?

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    Seriously ?
    Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I noticed in Scoop's webchat that he said something along the lines of '48 might be enough'. Did anyone else think he meant we might hear something positive within 48 hours or was I simply wishful thinking?
    I thought he meant £48 to buy the club - although £47 does seem quite an extravagant tip.

As for Derby losing £3 million a month, things have spiralled out of control. A big Championship club is going to go to the wall at some point, because this can’t be sustainable. We need to study the German model, which seems far more rooted in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I thought he meant £48 to buy the club - although £47 does seem quite an extravagant tip.

As for Derby losing £3 million a month, things have spiralled out of control. A big Championship club is going to go to the wall at some point, because this can’t be sustainable. We need to study the German model, which seems far more rooted in reality.

I wouldn’t mind studying a German model

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Bloody Hell, Derby owner is losing 3 mill a month!!!

Football really needs to sort itself out.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...mpression=true
    I completely agree, countygump.

The football "industry" is now a financial joke. A ridiculous, bloated, deluded farce. A few of the top clubs have billionaire playboy owners and actually can spend as much as they choose, but lots of other clubs are spending themselves into oblivion. Football fans with silly dreams are quite happy to encourage their clubs to do it, and only start to panic and cry when their club reaches the edge of the financial precipice. Likewise, too many owners chasing their own glory are willing to over-reach their own finances and their club's finances in search of success and popularity. Unless they are extremely lucky and all of their "investments" pay off, then they simply land their clubs in administration, and themselves with the blame.

It is insanity, and at some point it has to stop. It's only the extraordinary willingness of satellite television viewers to accept constant hikes in subscription charges that has kept the bubble expanding to date, but somewhere down the line this will all go pop and huge numbers of clubs with great histories will find themselves with unsustainable debts and no idiots left to bail them out. It will be like a nuclear version of the ITV Digital debacle.

The model for the future sustainability of football is probably leagues like the A-League in Australia and Major league Soccer in America, both of whom have salary caps on what teams can pay their players. They still have some flexibility to break the usual wage structure for the odd Designated Player, but by and large they are forced to live within their financial means, and an added benefit is that both leagues are relatively even and competitive. They can't attract too many of the world's best players, because the unregulated leagues offer greater riches, but the A-League and MLS clubs by and large are in better financial health, and offer a perfectly acceptable level of football.

Clubs like Notts County had better hope that proper financial restraints and salary caps get applied in the Football League before too long, because if they don't, we're amongst the most likely to go under sooner rather than later. Sadly, I think English football will leave its day of enlightenment too late for many smaller clubs, a bit like a smoker who gives up the fags a day after their terminal cancer diagnosis.

The A League, by and large, is garbage. The marquee players they attract, are usually finished in their own country. I think Adam Le Fondue set, is currently one of Sydney F.C's imports.

I'm not sure what the standard equates in terms of the English leagues, but it's not something I'd be paying weekly to watch. I don't even watch it on the tv.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    The A League, by and large, is garbage. The marquee players they attract, are usually finished in their own country. I think Adam Le Fondue set, is currently one of Sydney F.C's imports.

I'm not sure what the standard equates in terms of the English leagues, but it's not something I'd be paying weekly to watch. I don't even watch it on the tv.
    I agree at best it is league one. I used to go and watch the Roar but I gave up. It was plastic fantastic football with plastic fantastic support. I just couldnt get into it. The fact that Usain Bolts agents wanted $3million for him to do one season with the mariners based on the branding is just a joke. He was worn out after 10 minutes on the pitch as he has trained all his life to give everything over 9.5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post

But the operating model is better than what we have. A league with a wage cap should be sustainable for the long-term, as long as that cap doesn't exceed the league's earning potential.

Sooner or later, we'll see more leagues adopting such rules, simply because the clubs and the leagues with a lack of financial restraint will go bust, probably at around the same time as people tell Sky Sports (or BeIN Sports or whoever) to sling their hook because they won't put up with subscription increases any more. We may or may not be near that glass ceiling yet, but it will happen if the clubs and TV companies continue in the current vein.
    Last edited by jackal2; 06-03-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    But the operating model is better than what we have. A league with a wage cap should be sustainable for the long-term, as long as that cap doesn't exceed the league's earning potential.

Sooner or later, we'll see more leagues adopting such rules, simply because the clubs and the leagues with a lack of financial restraint will go bust, probably at around the same time as people tell Sky Sports (or BeIN Sports or whoever) to sling their hook because they won't put up with subscription increases any more. We may or may not be near that glass ceiling yet, but it will happen if the clubs and TV companies continue in the current vein.
    Maybe it will take the oldest league football club in the world to go bankrupt before the FA realise that to much money is being paid in wages to piss poor , at best average players.
    This doesn't include just Notts , but every team from Top to the Bottom , and beyond (conference etc)
    A wage cap is a must for the survival and sanity of Football.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast