+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How did you start watching the Millers ?

My Dad came from Wentworth and slightly swayed towards Barnsley but didn't have a deep football affection for any team. His sister lived in Leeds and he spent a lot of time there and took me to my first ever game there in 1974 during Revie's reign. Went a few times but hated it as we stood on the Kop and was all a bit much for a 7/8 year old (I couldn't see much of the game).

He took me to me first Rotherham game in 75 at Oakwell. He took me to Bramall lane a lot and we enjoyed the Currie/Woodward era and I developed quite a liking for them. When I started Comp I wanted to go to more games and on my own but he wouldn't let me go to Bramall Lane but he let me go to Millmoor with some school mates. A lot of us went and we stood at the back of the Tivoli and had a great time, especially when Moore, Fern, Towner etc arrived. My town, my team, it was the best choice in the end.

I'm 62 now and my dad took my to Millmoor was I was only a tot, starting at reserve games etc. I used to sit on the wall at the railway end then progressed to kids corner. Then used to sit on back wall in Tivoli. First game I remember though not the first I attended was the league cup match against West Ham. My dad although a proper Miller did used to take me to the lane and swillsborough when we couldn't get away. But as the phrase goes Once a Miller Always a Miller.

Me dad took an orange box for me to stand on 1960 v Arsenal 2-2. Remember them northern white legs of Madden Lambert etc with the smell of rubbing oils & goalies with no gloves. Got me mum to make a flag out of lovely red material with wood pole & she sowed united on one side & millers ont other. Took it on Riley’s coach to watch millers v donny away int county cup. About 45 millers then surrounded by about 200 donny & no police. Rotherham were thrashing em so we decided to move to opposite end(normal away end at bell vue) After our 6th goal went in a few hundred of theirs charged towards our end so wrapped me flag up & shoved it down me trouser leg!! then walked away limping!! Took it to Wolves 1965 fa cup when Ron Flowers equalised in last minutes to rob us. 1966 fa cup Man Utd away & home robbed again but brilliant days!

Great thread and some great stories.

For me, my Dad took me first in the late 60s where I remember kicking a can about in the Kid's Corner and sitting up on the wall opposite on Millmoor Lane (under the Fishing Tackle sign) for Jim Furnell's home debut. Dad was never a big RUFC/football fan and also worked Saturdays so I went to most games with my best mate and his Dad (who went every week) and stood at the back of the enclosure just under the main stand. My mate went on to play for The Millers in the 80-81 and 81-82 seasons.

Since skipping town in '79 my watching has been sporadic to say the least and like CT since moving to the US has been limited to matches that coincide with very occasional trips back there. A true plastic I guess but a member of the online community for 20+ years.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 06-03-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I have my old man was to blame , took me down at 5 years of age , my nan knitted me a red n white bar scarf and a matching bobble hat to mark my first game .

For the next few years he lifted me over the turnstiles which was the done thing back in those days .

I started going with a school mate in the mid 70's , we were always fighting re-election but generally pulled away in the second half of the season , we were awful but I'd got the bug so what can you do ? .

It never occurred to me to follow anyone else , I could never get my head around my class mates supporting the big first division clubs but never actually going to watch them , still doesn't today .

My whole family were tykes , nobody on either side supported anyone else , uncles , cousins etc etc .

I never stood a chance in all reality !!!
    Always thought you was a Barnsley fan Animal ?

I first went to the replay V Burnley when Clish broke his leg and we ended up losing 2-3, no subs in those days. Been going ever since, not as many away days as the past. Season ticket holder for um**** years, even Don Valley days( dark days). Think i've done about 67 grounds now watching the millers, including 4 watching us play Brighton!!!

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    I first went to the replay V Burnley when Clish broke his leg and we ended up losing 2-3, no subs in those days. Been going ever since, not as many away days as the past. Season ticket holder for um**** years, even Don Valley days( dark days). Think i've done about 67 grounds now watching the millers, including 4 watching us play Brighton!!!
    Obviously due to my nomadic nature I've visited significantly fewer grounds. In fact just tallied up and when Brentford move into their new place I will have the dubious honour of having visited more grounds that no longer exist than ones that are still standing

Isn’t it strange that a small town club like ours have so many supporters who weren’t born in Rotherham?

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Always thought you was a Barnsley fan Animal ?
    I am indeed Lincs .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I am indeed Lincs .
    He's only explaining why he's not a Miller leave the an alone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast