+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T: Annoying Word Emphasis Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Simon the Pieman View Post
    5 Live seems to be all about the social and domestic lives of the presenters.
    Why do people put "like" into almost every sentence? Drives me mad.
    Note to Charlie and Mark. It's not "them players". Rant over.
    It's them female students what punctuate every sentence with at least three "likes". It's as if it's a compulsion to all speak the same language, and loud if possible, to annoy us old buggers earwigging their conversations.

One I've heard a lot recently "bran new" instead of "brand new"

Also know your enemy, these 2...

Uptalk? Or everything ending in a question? = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_rising_terminal

Vocal fry is another big one, if you don't know what it is, then it's probably best you don't look into it, or you'll be hearing that everywhere too! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fry_register
    Last edited by matt5cott; 04-03-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Charlie Slater is actually one of the worst culprits for this. I get the impression he thinks he is down with the kids and is only ever one sentence away from calling Stallard or any of his interviewees "Bro". In fact he seems to be getting worse, he needs to know for example that the letter 'T' actually features in the word 'battle' instead of always saying "bah-ull". It's just imbarrissing!
    See also Lu-uhn Town. Drives me mad.

Although for some reason I find Mark Stallard's prefacing of every sentence with "like I say" to be strangely endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Charlie Slater is actually one of the worst culprits for this. I get the impression he thinks he is down with the kids and is only ever one sentence away from calling Stallard or any of his interviewees "Bro". In fact he seems to be getting worse, he needs to know for example that the letter 'T' actually features in the word 'battle' instead of always saying "bah-ull". It's just imbarrissing!
    Yes the glottal stop for a 't', quite annoying but not as bad as his 'urban' speak. I presume they got him from the North West on a graduate scheme and not a South London council estate so why he speaks like Ali G I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkirk-Pie View Post
    This has become an epidemic, and once you start to notice it, it will drive you nuts. I'd like to see Radio 4 introduce a "three strikes and you're out" rule, whereby any contributor who begins three consecutive answers with "So..." has their microphone immediately switched off.
    I've been going on about this for a few years now. It's.... err...'so'...annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by matt5cott View Post
    One I've heard a lot recently "bran new" instead of "brand new"

Also know your enemy, these 2...

Uptalk? Or everything ending in a question? = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_rising_terminal

Vocal fry is another big one, if you don't know what it is, then it's probably best you don't look into it, or you'll be hearing that everywhere too! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fry_register
    Aaaagh I despise vocal fry. I remember some of the worst I'd encountered was on 'Made in Chelsea a few years ago. Yuck.

See also Lu-uhn Town. Drives me mad.

Although for some reason I find Mark Stallard's prefacing of every sentence with "like I say" to be strangely endearing.
    I almost count the minutes until Stall says something is 'one of them'.

I also believe the Football Pundits Union needs to send a memo to all pundits explaining that players and fans are not 'different class' but are in fact either 'of a different class' or 'from a different class'.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Yes the glottal stop for a 't', quite annoying but not as bad as his 'urban' speak. I presume they got him from the North West on a graduate scheme and not a South London council estate so why he speaks like Ali G I really don't know.
    It could be worse. Nihal Arthanayake on Radio 5, who has pretty much ruined Richard Bacon's old afternoon slot, regularly calls his interviewees "dude". Unforgivable.

It could be worse. Nihal Arthanayake on Radio 5, who has pretty much ruined Richard Bacon's old afternoon slot, regularly calls his interviewees "dude". Unforgivable.
    Worse still is notunham drives me mad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast