+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next season

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs - that last sentence is plain wrong. TM knows exactly where to play Brereton, but he would have to drop Dack to put him there. The same has been true for Armstrong, Samuel, Palmer and Antonsson, and it would also be the case for Butterworth.
    I can see actually trying 4-3-2-1, with twin No. 10s, but that creates knock-on issues in midfield, especially if we want a wide player as well.
    If Dack goes in the summer, we will probably see a fairly major re-jig.
    I don't agree at all that Brereton would play where Dack does. He isn't a number 10. He played for Forest (where TM saw him) in a role similar to DG. Not Dack.

I'm going to back this up before I say this. I haven't once complained this season. Plus not once have I questioned any of TM's signings. Especially Brereton. But if what you suggest is true about not dropping Dack, why the hell did our manager spend all our budget on a player he knew he couldn't play. As surley TM had an inkling Dack was going to be decent? So why buy Brereton? You mention eggs in baskets above. Our entire budget on one lad, who he plays out wide. Why? I think it's a fair question to ask? Bearing in mind how weak we are as a squad. Did he actually need Brereton?

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    I don't agree at all that Brereton would play where Dack does. He isn't a number 10. He played for Forest (where TM saw him) in a role similar to DG. Not Dack.
    No - I've looked at his video-clips in detail. He has scored nearly all his goals running at the defence - often from outside the area. He has very rarely played as a back-to-the-goal target-man.

I'm going to back this up before I say this. I haven't once complained this season. Plus not once have I questioned any of TM's signings. Especially Brereton. But if what you suggest is true about not dropping Dack, why the hell did our manager spend all our budget on a player he knew he couldn't play. As surley TM had an inkling Dack was going to be decent? So why buy Brereton? You mention eggs in baskets above. Our entire budget on one lad, who he plays out wide. Why? I think it's a fair question to ask? Bearing in mind how weak we are as a squad. Did he actually need Brereton?
    Only time will tell with Brereton. Mowbray clearly thought he was too good to miss. I have no idea yet whether the fee was justified, but - remember - it is NOT 7M. That will be the ultimate fee if Brereton reaches various targets.
    I think a couple of other signings would have been justified, but TM was clearly rebuffed on some deals, and I believe he felt others involved a bit of January extortion.
    You say we have a very weak squad, but five weeks ago, you were critical of those who were sceptical that we were good enough to reach the play-offs. Surely, both things can't be true.

But we had held that position for most of the season, up to Jan. So why shouldn't I have viewed it like that? We had spent the majority of the season around the play-offs. As you say, we matched Bristol City, Boro, they aren't any better than us. Its not a great league standard wise, its actually quite poor. What's alarming is how badly we have fallen, and so quickly. And we have conceded more goals away from home, than any other side in the top 4 divisions. And we will finish the season just about avoiding relegation.

Not one person said we would finish just above the relegation places? You said 14th? So did Despair. Id settle for that now. We are much lower than 14th. And heading downwards at an alarming rate. Not just results, but woeful performance after woeful performance. Boro first half was the worse I have seen Rovers in years. Including under that idiot Coyle. Rotherham last week was worse!

I am merley questioning what the **** has gone so badly wrong.

I really don't know where to begin.
    Champs, your selections actually seem to be built on the basis that Mowbray is not only useless, but a hindrance to doing well (your comments on Mulgrew, for example). That doesn't give us much common ground for agreement, but I'll have a go.
    My general starting-point for our players would be their inconsistency. Armstrong and Bell are the two worst culprits, but they are not alone. Even Travis has had two poor games since he game in. I never know what to expect from any given player.

In detail:
    Raya - there are clear indications that he has lost confidence since the injury. He is an excellent shot-stopper, but he does not help his defenders out enough by being decisive. I like keepers to come off the line more, even if that leads to an occasional howler. He may well get back to his best in the break, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Fisher challenging. I think Leutwiler deserves a go now, actually, but Mowbray clearly doesn't rate him. We might well be in the market in this area.
    Nyambe - I still think he will come good. It doesn't help him to be playing in a defence that has lost confidence. He is a quiet lad, anyway, and it sometimes helps to have a touch of arrogance. I think he has the physical presence and footballing ability to improve. His positioning is the main issue.
    Bell - so up-and-down (even within a game), it's hard to tell. He doesn't actually look like a full-back to me. Could he take over from Conway instead?
    Williams - not at his best this season. Temporary blip, or just not good enough for the Championship? Left-back is definitely one position we might see some transfer-action in, although I gather Hart has been doing well at Rochdale.
    Lenihan - we have missed him badly. I don't agree with this argument that he is not a "proper" centre-half.
    Rodwell - I was dubious about his signing because of what happened at Sunderland, but TM has been very complimentary about his attitude, so I don't know where this rumour about him fomenting dressing-room unrest has come from. (Do you have any actual evidence for it, Champs?) All the same, I think he will probably leave. Otherwise, I suspect a new contract would have been offered by now. He looks classy on the ball, but we are more in need of a Faz at present!
    Mulgrew - sad to say, he might be in decline. Of course, he could move forward, because it is hard to replace his dead-ball skills, but is he a realistic choice for midfield, given his lack of pace?

So a new centre-back in the summer? Probably, but there is an alternative, of course: any one (or two) from Wharton, Grayson, Magloire, Platt, Charley Doyle and Carter.

Smallwood and Evans - good servants, but - again - inconsistent. Travis coming through has made it even more likely that one or both will leave.
    Travis - an obvious "keeper", although I think he has been a bit over-hyped. His passing has been little better than the previous two mentioned.
    Davenport - I have high hopes that he and Travis can do a good job together, if TM continues to go for two "holding" players.
    Bennett - still the "soul" of the team. Too versatile for his own good. (He could even fill the second defensive central midfielder spot in the short term). No way should he be released.
    Reed - I don't think we'll keep him.
    Conway - probably time to say goodbye. He hardly ever lets us down, but he doesn't present the same attacking threat he used to.
    Rothwell - let me make a general point first. Mowbray likes to employ three attackers, which is why he has ALSO opted for the two holding players in most games. I think Rothwell would be best as a central creative player in midfield, but that is tricky in Mowbray's preferred system. The other thing is, on the evidence so far, Rothwell's passing is mediocre. Still, he deserves more chances.
    Chapman and Gladwin - without them, we have had no genuine winger. Fingers crossed where Chapman is concerned. Players of his type are always a gamble. Gladwin? I have no idea!
    Brereton - fingers AND toes crossed here. The big splash-out was uncharacteristic of TM (and Waggott). Next season will show us either a heartening slice of justification (and a big "Yah-Boo" from Mowbray), or the acknowledgement of a massive flop. Too early to draw conclusions yet, though.

For a moment, let's put Brereton, Armstrong, Butterworth, Samuel (and before them, Palmer and Antonsson) in one basket. What do they have in common? They all want to play in Dack's "No. 10" position. This has been a major dilemma for TM. As I said, he likes three attackers, but it has been almost impossible to drop Dack or Graham. Therefore, whoever has been given that third spot has had to play as a "wide attacker" or semi-winger. It hasn't suited most of them at all - certainly not Brereton. Armstrong has looked good there in one match; anonymous in the next. This problem has been increased by the need to have Bennett on the field too, and it isn't going to disappear. What about if Chapman and/or Rothwell start? That would surely require a different formation altogether.

Armstrong - frustrating but could be a match-winner in a team on the front foot. That's not where we are at the moment, though, and he certainly doesn't play much part in this "defending from the front" theory!
    Dack - I fear we may lose him. He's hardly the most level-headed person, and I suspect his agent will already be touting. Is he PL standard? I have seen too many flops to be certain, but he does have an X-factor.
    Graham - anyone's guess. There comes a moment when players of his type go downhill quite fast, though. The problem is, replacements as good as him are hard to find. I think he has been our most consistent player.
    Nuttall - I suspect he's not quite good enough for the Championship. Might be a real star lower down, however.
    Butterworth - a ready-made replacement for Dack? I'd love to think so. Time will tell.

Other youngsters? It's beginning to look as if Hardcastle, Mols and Rankin-Costello won't make it in midfield, but the slightly younger batch of Buckley, Evans, Vale, Paton and Lyons all appear to be excellent prospects in that area.
    Up front, Mansell may not come through either, despite his earlier promise. Same with Jack Doyle and Thompson in defence.

So what might a realistic team half-way through next season look like?
    (A.N. Other1)
    Nyambe Lenihan A.N. Other2 A.N Other3
    (Chapman/Bennett) Travis Davenport (Bell/A.N. Other4)
    (Armstrong/Butterworth/Brereton/Samuel)
    Graham.

In reality, I haven't got a clue, of course, but I do suspect that Rodwell, Mulgrew, Williams, Reed, Smallwood, Conway, Evans, Gladwin, Dack and Nuttall might have left. (I would personally retain Williams, but he looks doomed. I'd still like to see Gladwin in action too, before condemning him).

There it is. Idle speculation, most of it, but at least it would only require the acquisition of three or four new players (and the introduction of several youngsters, obviously). I certainly can't see Venky's agreeing to ten signings!
    Agree with much of this Auks, Hart though is not at Rochdale but Southend. I saw them get thumped 3-0 at home to 10 man Barnsley and Hart was left back, strangely enough he was not at fault for any goals and was possibly Southends best player although that doesn't say much.

Thanks, Test. I don't now where I got Rochdale from.

But we had held that position for most of the season, up to Jan. So why shouldn't I have viewed it like that? We had spent the majority of the season around the play-offs. As you say, we matched Bristol City, Boro, they aren't any better than us. Its not a great league standard wise, its actually quite poor. What's alarming is how badly we have fallen, and so quickly. And we have conceded more goals away from home, than any other side in the top 4 divisions. And we will finish the season just about avoiding relegation.

Not one person said we would finish just above the relegation places? You said 14th? So did Despair. Id settle for that now. We are much lower than 14th. And heading downwards at an alarming rate. Not just results, but woeful performance after woeful performance. Boro first half was the worse I have seen Rovers in years. Including under that idiot Coyle. Rotherham last week was worse!

I am merley questioning what the **** has gone so badly wrong.
    And what I'm saying is that when things go "badly wrong", it doesn't make sense to try and find the SINGLE factor that has caused it.
    Football is complex and dynamic. Margins are always small. If Mulgrew's corner had been an inch to the left, it would have gone in.
    Pinning it all down to the manager seems to me illogical.
    Are we really to conclude that five weeks ago, he suddenly went downhill very fast?
    Confidence is a big part of sport, and we have lost that at the moment. Part of Mowbray's job is to get that back, but it sometimes needs a bit of luck or a moment of magic as well.
    I've seen it all before, and sometimes fans just need to ride it out, instead of falling into the syndrome of "new manager, now, because anyone is bound to be better."
    How often does that work? 30% of the time, perhaps. You often get a brief bounce (Lambert!), but subsequent events overwhelmingly prove that there is far more to it than the ability of the boss.
    I can't believe so many supporters are unwilling to give Mowbray at least one more transfer-window. This panic about relegation is completely over the top. It is not going to happen.

Thanks, Test. I don't now where I got Rochdale from.
    He was on loan twice at Dale, so don't worry you aren't losing it Auks

This left-back position is an interesting one.
    I didn't think Hart looked good enough, but who knows?
    Another thing, though. My wife is originally from Grimsby. (I have always tried not to hold it against her!). She still has family there. Guess who they say has been their most consistent player this season?
    Luke Hendrie!
    I'm sure he was on our books for a while, but I can't find any trace of it now. I think I AM losing it!
    It's just come back to me: that was STEPHEN Hendrie. All these pills are useless! let's pretend I never posted this...la, la, la...
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 06-03-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)