+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New team same problems

New team same problems

Despite now having 2, maybe 3 if sow can get up to speed, strikers we still have major problems in the final 3rd of the pitch. We have scored 1 goal from open play in the last 4 games the rest being penalties. Which is concerning. We still dnt play with any width and continue to try and walk the ball into the goal through the narrowest of play.

Some of the players are an improvement on what we had, but the formation and tactics have not changed! I have not totally lost the faith but have expected better of Robbie.

We are still prone to a performance like that. If we'd played a better team yesterday we'd have got a result similar to previous in the season, hammered.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    We are still prone to a performance like that. If we'd played a better team yesterday we'd have got a result similar to previous in the season, hammered.
    That's exactly what I thought. Watching on TV it looked just like the game v Ayr, but without shipping 5 goals. We lacked any kind of threat, never felt like we were going to score, every forward pass hit an opponent, everything was rushed, no composure on the ball, struggled to get over the halfway line. Any time we did get near their box we wanted far too long on the ball and no one looked prepared to have a shot, preferring to pick another pass which invariably failed.

By contrast, ICT players had loads of time on the ball, time to bring the ball forward and assess their options before making a pass and finding a team mate who also had time to control the ball, turn, look for options and then make a pass. They seemed to have men over every time and our players didn't know who to go to and who to mark. ICT were first to everything and winning every loose ball. There were even times when we had the ball and one ICT player got the better of three of our lot.

I actually felt sick watching that as every time we got the ball I knew we would lose it within 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post
    Despite now having 2, maybe 3 if sow can get up to speed, strikers we still have major problems in the final 3rd of the pitch. We have scored 1 goal from open play in the last 4 games the rest being penalties. Which is concerning. We still dnt play with any width and continue to try and walk the ball into the goal through the narrowest of play.

Some of the players are an improvement on what we had, but the formation and tactics have not changed! I have not totally lost the faith but have expected better of Robbie.
    100% agree. I honestly fail to see the improvement in play that other folk are seeing. Yesterday was as bad as ever. I too expected more from Robbie.

Quote Originally Posted by jjaflup22 View Post
    100% agree. I honestly fail to see the improvement in play that other folk are seeing. Yesterday was as bad as ever. I too expected more from Robbie.
    I have the raised eyebrow of suspicion as to yesterdays performance as i cant see how we can be such a different team with only 2 changes. Even when one of these changes was reversed, McMullan was left as a lone man a couple of times which made it look like the players were doing just enough to get through without being hammered. Stranger still was the absence of Sow on the bench.

We now have 10 games that are more important for the long term future of our club, i just hope there is plenty effort into that!

If a team plays a centre mid that ain’t fit and doesn’t put a tackle in until the 27 minute, and opt to play a long ball game to a lone striker when the opposition are all over six foot, they will most likely get beat. The first 25 minutes on Tuesday showed us what we needed to do to beat Caley and that was fast one touch football on the ground.

Nothing against Fraser Fyvie, but he is finished at the level of a side aspiring to get out this league, and if the coaching team have any aspirations of promotion this season he shouldn’t be considered again.
    Last edited by ahlltanyirhide; 04-03-2019 at 01:07 PM.

For sure I would have started Gomis and I said as much on here before the match. Nothing that happened subsequently has changed my mind on that.

Quote Originally Posted by ahlltanyirhide View Post
    If a team plays a centre mid that ain’t fit and doesn’t put a tackle in until the 27 minute, and opt to play a long ball game to a lone striker when the opposition are all over six foot, they will most likely get beat. The first 25 minutes on Tuesday showed us what we needed to do to beat Caley and that was fast one touch football on the ground.
    That there is maybe why i find yesterday so strange as i cant remember too much going through Butcher in the first 25 minutes on Tuesday.

Sometimes just sometimes you get a game when nothing goes right for you and everything goes right for the opposition.
    Yesterday was a bit like that. We had nobody who could control it, couldn’t put any passes together and every second ball went to Caley.
    But that doesn’t excuse why they seemed to want it more than us. Robertson clearly learned something from Tuesday and set his team up accordingly. We could all see that we were being outplayed all over the pitch but the manager was unable or unwilling to change it.
    Another manager who has a system and tries to fit the players in rather than finding a system that suits the players.
    I realise criticism of RN is frowned upon by some but for me he’ll have to do better if promotion is to be achieved.
    Still one myth dispelled yesterday that every referee hates us.

Quote Originally Posted by An old shed boy View Post
    Another manager who has a system and tries to fit the players in rather than finding a system that suits the players.
    It's still early days but this certainly seems to be the case so far...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)