+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New team same problems

Neilson is open to criticism for our performances in last 4-5 games but yesterday is on the players. Seaman, Connolly, Reynolds, Fyvie, Smith, Clark and Pawlett all had their worst games for us imo. No manager can legislate for that many players having an off day.

Play like we did on Sunday and we can forget winning the play offs.

Same old excuses getting a spin put on them.

I don't like naming individual players for criticism, but a combination of some players being unfit, too slow and lacking concentration is never going to get you in a semi final.

Something needs to be sorted - we kept losing the ball at throw ins, giving the ball away with stray passes and continued to punt the ball up the park to a lone striker - shambles.

Also, football is in the entertainment business, people pay money and want to watch attractive, attacking football and admire the skills of football players - none of this was on offer on Sunday.

Almost 8000 United fans, a place in the semi finals to be won, the match is being watched by 1000s on live TV and the players forget to show up.

they need a shrink in....its all in the players heads!

too many players having an off day and lacked the fight which is why butcher was such a big miss.

butcher might not be the most technical of players compared to fyvie, harkes and gomis but what he has that the others dont have as much is the steel and battle to win 2nd balls. on tuesday he won lots of 2nd balls which meant we were higher up the park to start attacks while yesterday i cant remember us winning any 2nd balls which allowed ICT to get a foot in the game and dictate the play.

Siegrist- distribution is poor but generally decent enough.
    seaman- poorest game for us. struggled v Doran and caught sleeping at end.
    Connolly- seemed to just launch it every time he had the ball and struggled with the boy white alot.
    Reynolds- same as connolly.
    Robson- probably should have done better with the 1st goal but generally not too bad. signs of improvement tbh
    fyvie- slows game too much and doesnt have energy to play in a 2 man centre mid. miles off it.
    Harkes- at least tried to make stuff happened but needed help alongside him
    Pawlett- needing more from him imo. coasts through games without doing much. if king had put on a performance like him yesterday he would have been slaughtered.
    Smith- not a winger so why play him there?
    Clark- done more defending than he did going forward. took pen well.
    Safranco- if the service up to him is poor then he is useless. give him bloody service!!

Gomis- didnt make much difference imo
    Mcmullan- not his biggest fan but he wasnt afraid to take someone on and made a difference.

the team selection was poor imo.
    mcmullan caused problems on tuesday and should have started again. stanton or gomis should have been in for butcher rather than fyvie imo.

but the worrying thing is 2 changes and we went from a decent performance on tuesday to that yesterday! complacent? needs to improve regardless

Jimmy made a difference when he came on. McMullan made a massive difference when he came on. Was hoping Stanton would get a chance, think we needed him in the midfield. Disagree about criticising Clark btw. Thought he worked hard and was one of our better performers. Robson again motm possibly. Looks like he could maybe, finally be sorting himself out.

As said, disappointing but did not want a frikin mid week reply up in Sneky land and at least wir no getting pumped at Hampden by the Tims or even worse the Sevco Hun mutants. We are in no way ready to play these two yet or indeed the s.heepshaggers etc.

So concentrate on the league, players and staff knuckle down, work hard, concentrate and let’s get behind the team (as always). Massive few weeks ahead for our club.

I feel a bit sorry for Fyvie, his confidence is shot and I think he probably needs a pre-season before he'll be ready to play at the level he's capable of. If he's even capable of getting back to that level of course. The cheers when he went off yesterday were embarrassing, he's had a potentially career ending injury and deserves a bit of time to find his feet again before the boo boys circle on him.

However, RN needs to recognise this and perhaps use him sparingly for the rest of the season. Apart from anything else, I think playing him upsets the leadership within the team. Connolly is the natural captain of the side IMO, but when Fyvie plays obviously that role is his. Given his confidence levels, I don't think he can lead us to promotion though.

Time will tell with him I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sieb's Tash View Post
    I feel a bit sorry for Fyvie, his confidence is shot and I think he probably needs a pre-season before he'll be ready to play at the level he's capable of. If he's even capable of getting back to that level of course. The cheers when he went off yesterday were embarrassing, he's had a potentially career ending injury and deserves a bit of time to find his feet again before the boo boys circle on him.

However, RN needs to recognise this and perhaps use him sparingly for the rest of the season. Apart from anything else, I think playing him upsets the leadership within the team. Connolly is the natural captain of the side IMO, but when Fyvie plays obviously that role is his. Given his confidence levels, I don't think he can lead us to promotion though.

Time will tell with him I suppose.
    nail on head......fans that boo our own players when subbied need a shake imo

Really hoping yesterday was a bad day at the office for the team, especially for the players I expected more from.

Robbie has said we have signed some leaders but I'm sorry never seen any out there yesterday when things were tough?

Our tempo was non existent, no flow or pace to our game at all , it was like watching a team who had never played together before??

Also worrying was how we were outmuscled/bullied in a lot of areas on the park but more so in the midfield and in defence.....The big lad Whyte was totally bullying Connolly and Reynolds then we weren't picking up the 2nd ball or runners.

Safranko really needs to stay more central imo and in order to get the best out of him we need some width so we can turn defenders and get early balls in to the danger areas.
    I haven't been impressed by Cammy Smith again, felt the same when he was with us before....is he not a no10?

Not singling him out either as for me the only player that gets pass marks IMO was the keeper and McMullen when he came on.

Regards the last minute goal whole defence was at fault no just the young lad Seaman....Reynolds again no near wining the ball from Whyte, Connoly lets the ball go past him(body shape all wrong and should be looking for header on) then Doran ghosts in on blind side o young lad...simples.

Need a positive reaction on Saturday and in the remainder of the games the league is our priority.....got to fight fight fight!

C,mon Utd!
    Last edited by Eamons_lost_wig_04; 04-03-2019 at 08:46 PM.

All those things your say were missing are a direct result of Butcher not playing IMO.

if that's true re Butcher TTT then we really are goosed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)