+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wednesday 0 United 0 - report

Wednesday 0 United 0 - report

It was another stalemate in the Sheffield City Derby as both games ended in 0-0 draws. United made it four clean sheets in a row but were unable to break down a resolute Wednesday defence. It was more even game than the one at Bramall Lane but had few chances with Gary Madine’s header being saved in the first half and then Dean Henderson saving an equally good chance from Sam Hutchinson. United had a good shout for a penalty when Madine was clearly held by the otherwise excellent Michael Hector. In truth it was a poor game. United struggled to get their football going and whilst they looked more dangerous in general play, they gave away a number of silly fouls that stopped momentum and were wasteful from their own set plays after winning a number of corners. United will take the point and move on knowing they have two home games to come.

United made changes to the team with many of the previously injured back to full fitness and the normal back three back starting with Basham and O’Connell alongside Egan. Dowell and Madine getting the nod in the other two selection choices. There was no place for George Baldock. Wednesday made one change with Iorfa in for the injured Lazaar. Forestieri started just behind the in form Steven Fletcher.

In driving rain United kicked away from their 4,000 fans and Sharp won an early corner as United started the better. The first chance came on 6 minutes when neat play down the right saw Norwood whip over a delightful cross that Madine headed goal wards but Westwood made an instinctive save. The corner came over but O’Connell was penalised. Wednesday had their first half chance when Aarons crossed and Fletcher’s header hit Egan. Back came United though and won another corner and this time there seemed a good shout for a penalty when Hector grabbed Madine but the referee waved play on much to the anger of the United front man.

Norwood then tripped Forestieri who had hit the deck at least half a dozen times in the opening spell; replicating Madine for United with both players often looking for the free kick. Good work by Sharp led to Bannan bringing him down but Norwood’s free kick was cleared. United had shaded it but gave away a few free kicks to see the momentum stopped. Reach sliced horrible wide in a rare moment for the home side who had been more progressive than at Bramall Lane but were still undoubtedly sitting in.
    Fletcher then injured himself going through Fleck but was deemed fit to carry on. A series of fouls both ways saw the game become stop start and rather scrappy. United were getting sucked into playing long balls and not getting it down and playing their trademark pass and move football. Wednesday also were looking for Fletcher on the high ball or Reach on the long diagonal. Dowell and Hutchinson clashed heads before 3 minutes of stoppage time were played. Norwood’s free kick was headed over from Egan just before the break.

Forestieri did not come back out after the break and Boyd came on. Boyd did put in a cross which Fletcher hooked spectacularly….miles over the bar. At the other end Basham’s enterprising run and clever pull back led to Norwood’s chipped cross that just evaded Sharp and then a series of fouls and stoppages resulted breaking up the game again. Dowell broke from a Wednesday corner but took too long and his final pass was intercepted by Reach. The corner saw O’Connell’s header blocked by Fletcher before Sharp nearly got onto a Lees back pass but Westwood was quick to react to clear. Aarons jinked past Freeman but his cross shot was tipped away from Henderson – it probably was going wide but he had to make sure. The best chance for the home side came when Aarons sent a ball over that seemed innocuous enough but Fleck left it and Hutchinson was in but his point-blank effort on the stretch was straight at Henderson who saved well and Stevens cleared the rebound. McGoldrick then came on for Madine as the game entered the final 20 minutes. The next period was again very scrappy and rarely was the ball in play for more than a minute before a free kick or a throw in. Cranie replaced Dowell as Basham moved into the middle. Neither side were keeping it very well although McGoldrick at least started to link play for United who started to push the home side back more. Norwood and the sub linked before Hector cleared at full stretch and then Westwood pushed away the corner.

Fox came on for Iorfa for Wednesday before Cranie went on an excellent run but his shot was blocked leading to another corner. This one was cleared again before a scramble ensued and Wednesday won a free kick. Egan won a header from another set play but Hector got his head on the second ball. Wednesday then threatened to break but United intercepted and had a chance of their own but were too slow to get away and the danger was cleared. Nuhiu came on for Fletcher as the game entered two minutes additional time. United looked the more likely at this stage but from another silly free kick given away, Aarons had a shot that went well over the bar. United advanced one final time but the referee’s whistle came before they could create anything more and it ended honours even.

United – Poorest we have played since that 2nd half at Swansea. We were not rubbish but subpar and it was a bitty game with lots of niggly fouls both ways. We seemed to knock it long too much and did not try and play through midfield. Wednesday pressed us, stopped the wing backs getting forward and I felt Dowell was quiet and not close enough to the front two. We played as three compartments and the link play was not there. We played a bit safe and I felt did not gamble enough. I agreed with the Madine selection but on reflection it did not work and McGoldrick instantly improved us when he came on as we had more of the link.

We had 59% possession and 10 corners to 2 but only had one effort of note on goal all game and did not work the keeper enough at all. We barely had a shot second half but lots of half chances or set plays ad little things that did not drop.

We started the game quite well. Like at the Lane if we get that first goal it is a different game and we could have had a penalty of course. The first 15 mins we were decent and then they came into it but then it was more even. I felt we shaded the second half but they had a better start after the break and had that big chance which was awful defending. After this I felt we controlled things; and slowly started to peg them back and McGoldrick made a difference. We started to get into little pockets and threaded little balls in. We won lots of corners but did not make the most of them. It was all a bit panicky and we needed to relax more. There was too much stuff into the corners or played long overall though and that is not us. We kind of got sucked into their kind of game as they played the long diagonal all game really to Fletcher or Reach. Neither side played through the middle much at all. It was a rotten game but we needed to up the tempo and get on it more and try and move them about. It was a bit slow but I think we did not gamble too many forwards until towards the end when Basham and Cranie pushed forward and we had a few half chances.

Overall, it’s a point. I would have taken it beforehand. We now have it out of the way. We need to now take care of business on Saturday. I think he will go back to McGoldrick and Duffy. Madine and Dowell did not really take their chances tonight but a few others were only average. The one positive is the defence has been really solid (other than the one mistake) and we don’t give silly goals away and have not conceded since Villa away.

Wednesday – Hard to say it/type it but credit to them. They never really looked lik scoring much again but they worked hard, pressed us, stopped the flanks and were solid. They played like an away side at home for long spells but they still look a different side to the sorry negative bunch we saw at the Lane. Still not sure they are a top 6 side really and have some holes in the side but are on a good run and sadly we missed our opportunity when they were at their lowest in terms of style/confidence earlier in the season. Today they were much better than at the Lane but still not great. They only had the one good chance and did not really threaten but defended well and pressed us high up and stopped the overlaps and they made us go long as we could not get the likes of Fleck and Dowell on the ball. Madine did not cause them too many problems and Sharp was not really in the game as was feeding off scraps.

They did not play much football I felt- a few moments I suppose - but a lot of long stuff also. They were also feeding off Fletcher’s knock downs as we tried to do with Madine. Some of their better players actually did not really play that well – like ours – I felt Bannan did not get on the ball and Reach was not really in the game but did the job defensively. Not sure any of their players were more than 6’s and 7’s if I had to rate them. Hector was the best of the lot but he just headed and blocked things really. No one showed much quality on the ball. They may get excited about the playoffs and say on that evidence they are as good as us but we know that derbies are different and over the course of the season so far we have proven to be far superior. I think they will probably finish about where they are – they have to go Derby on Saturday (who are desperate and due a win) and go to Norwich and Leeds back to back. Not sure they will get much from any of those three and that would mean they would have to run the board in most of the other 8 games which is very unlikely really. Be interesting summer as due to FFP they wont have much to spend and will lose half their squad (loans/out of contract). The likes of Fletcher, Bannan, Hutchinson, Lees are steady eddys but none of these are top 6 players sadly and Forestieri cannot stay fit. Reach is a decent player but is a bit wasted if they punt long diagonals to him. They also have a lot of ordinary players and still lack real quality to beat the better teams. Tonight they did a job but they did not really attack much or look like stretching us but defended well. They are more organised and a lot more solid but need to go a bit to be a top 6 side this season or even next.

Opponent man of the match – Fletcher was a handful. Forestieri fell over a lot but did not do much else. The two wing backs played ok and stopped our wide men getting forward but Hector was very good as he was at the Lane, winning lots of headers and blocks. He just got his body in the way. Westwood made one good save in the first half but like with Henderson’s it was straight at him. Aarons had a few tricks and runs but no real end product apart from the cross that should have been cleared really.

Weak link – Not sure there was anyone that was awful. I do feel Palmer is a poor player that could be get at but we did not take advantage. Similarly, Lees has the turning circle of an oil tanker but we had two slow players up against him. Nuhiu coming on at the end shows what they were relying on really for a late undeserved winner as they pumped it even longer.

Henderson 7/10 – Made one ***** save but was straight at him. Other than this he had little to do but coped with what he had to which was just fielding a few back passes. Flicked one cross away from Aarons

Freeman 6.5/10 – Did not really get forward much at all. Got skinned by Aarons once but his cross shot was saved. He was a bit sloppy in possession at times and not sure he really got deep into their territory.

Stevens 6.5/10 – Steady enough but like with Freeman not sure we saw much of him attacking wide. Defended competently and did not take any chances but needed more going the other way but they pressed on him.

Egan 7/10 – Solid performance. Lost a few early headers to Fletcher but gradually got on top of him and won the key ones that mattered. A real calming figure in the heart of the defence.

O’Connell 7/10 – As above – steady performance. He was sound defensively and made no real mistakes but could not get forward like he normally does as they blocked off the flanks,

Basham 7/10 – Good to have him back. Thought he was one of few who actually looked really determined to get forward at times and burst through a few times. Played one good ball back but then a few poor decisions in another attack. Ended up in midfield at the end.

Fleck 6.5/10 – Not sure we saw enough of him. He got on the ball in the closing stages and started to drive but a bit too little, too late. We seemed to bypass midfield and it was frustrating for him and Dowell really. No idea what he was doing on the chance for them. Appalling play to just leave it and could have cost us dearly.

Norwood 7/10 – Thought he was our best player and looked class on the ball. A few passes did not come off but he put some good set plays in and actually at least got on the ball. He maybe went too long a few times but they sat off him as they knew he did not carry it. Needed Stevens, Freeman and Fleck/Dowell to link more but it was all too stretched so he was forced to go long.

Dowell 6/10 – Not really in it due to the way we played Had a few runs early on but then got hustled out of it. After this he was ineffectual. When he did have it; I felt he was a bit slow to make decisions and we needed more from him in terms of carrying it or committing players. Not surprised he went off.

Sharp 6/10 – Worked hard but did not really get in the game to be honest. I felt he came off second best in a few challenges but won a few free kicks also. Had one half chance when the ball came across from Norwood but not sure he had any other real openings and no service at all. A lot of our chances came from set plays/crosses from deep rather than link up/intricate play.

Madine 5.5/10 – Poorest he has been really after doing well in other games. Not his fault that we lumped it to him too much and he had a decent chance he should have done better. Of course, could have had a penalty but spent too much time looking for free kicks (like Forestieri for them also). We needed him to hold it up better or win more headers but he was not even a nuisance factor. We were much better when he went off.

Subs –

Cranie – Surprise sub but did well and one of our better performers. Got forward and nearly made himself an unlikely hero with a driving run and shot. Also got forward a few times down the right. He actually looked much more of a threat than any of the others wing backs/wide centre backs going forward. Unlucky to lose his place but can understand why he went back to the normal defence.

McGoldrick – Made a difference when he came on getting on the ball and linking. Nearly got in on one Norwood ball and a few times played people in. He came deep and we had a player who could get us on the ball and play us through so we did not rely on the long stuff.

Wilder 6/10 – I saw the team and thought it was fine and happy with the selections. I was concerned about Freeman v Aarons with the pace but other than that fine with it. Sadly, we went a bit too long and this was not just about Madine playing but the fact they sat in and did not allow us to push wide men on so with no one coming to link the play Norwood and the defence had to go longer. We should have been more patient and moved it about and moved them about but ended up playing percentage stuff. When McGoldrick came on I felt we improved and maybe he should have started him and Duffy but easier to say in hindsight. I would have put Duff on but he went more solid with Bash in the middle and there is always that fear of losing it. I felt they had settled more than us though and for the final period they were just wanting the point really. Disappointing we have failed to score against them twice and only created a few chances and we need to be better to break down average sides like Wednesday (table says they are average regardless of the local rivals thing) but the game was so bitty. It was just frustrating. We will hopefully get back to what we are good at Saturday. Tonight, we did not quite do what we have done and went away from the football and style we have played. Still, I sensed he was glad just to get it out of the way.

Referee – Thought he was crap. Only positive is he did not book anyone but he should have done. Palmer for going over the ball early on, Hector and Sharp for both sides for persistent fouling. He missed the penalty which he should have spotted really and that was a big miss. He also gave some odd free kicks – to both teams. He went through spells of giving things the opposite way to where they should have gone – Madine got a few for us when he made a back and then they got a few the same the other way. He did not seem to understand that players who jump for it and win it and the other player is stationery (eg O’Connell when he was penalised) it is not a foul or is a foul against the player backing in. He was very fussy all night and it just was so stop start I felt. He gave them a series of 50-50 fouls as they simply hit the deck and looked for them but then did the same for us. I could understand both managers getting annoyed as he was not consistent. The fouls he gave all day were far less than the contact on Madine and if we did have VAR, that is given all day long.

Crowd – Seemed really flat. Heard United fans early on and then their lot made a bit of noise but 2nd half it was really flat and quite a poor atmosphere but maybe that is just how it came across on the TV. People paid a lot of money to watch a dreadful game actually but you just never know. 18 months ago, people saw a thriller in the 2-4 win for us. I expected more vocal backing and intimidation from Wednesday fans but other than bottle of Oasis pop thrown at Jack O’Connell (coin came after) it was all a bit drab. Sure, Leeds will be somewhat more intimidating. Maybe it is just how it sounded but did not live up to all the hype on and off the field but guess there was so little to get excited about really for both sets of fans. For United to be disappointed with two draws against them and Wednesday quite happy again shows how far we have come and the respective movements of the two teams/clubs. Today we did not quite do what we can do but still we did not lose; got a point away. If we win all our home games (big ask) then that would be 18 points and then draw the away games – that would give us 23 points and enough for promotion. Sure, we can win a few away and of course will drop points at home. Should be an exciting finish and look forward to Saturday now when we have another team where it will not be easy.