+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: O/T T Rex, Clifton Park 1971

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    I remember T Rex in Clifton Park, Arthur Brown and Marmalade who were the best on the night.
    Poor turnout by all accounts, we had free tickets.
    Late 60’s and early 70’s were great times musically
    What i remember turnout was good, also went to Radio One show which was held in Clifton Hall a few days before the Clifton Park gig, cant remember who the DJs were but it was a live show in afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemiller View Post
    What i remember turnout was good, also went to Radio One show which was held in Clifton Hall a few days before the Clifton Park gig, cant remember who the DJs were but it was a live show in afternoon.
    They were giving tickets away and the gig wasn't advertised enough.

They were giving tickets away and the gig wasn't advertised enough.
    FREE TICKETS...Did you take PW, heez always up for a freebie.

There’s a photo of one of the tickets on t’net, says it was 60p admission.

Took girlfriend now my wife and a friend of hers.She was mad keen on Marc Bolan.....Get it on.....bang a gong .....get it on.
    3 free tickets.
    PGW would have been sulking over the keg of wine he carried back from Italy after the KOP Choir final holiday........the one he dropped and smashed when getting off the coach.

Honest Archie, never paid for a ticket but we were near the back of the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by loyalmiller View Post
    There’s a photo of one of the tickets on t’net, says it was 60p admission.
    Yes, I've seen the tickets on the net, we didn't pay anything.
    Marmalade were good.

Hi Loyal, were you part of the master football matches we had on the playing field through the Summer holidays?
    Back to T-rex, was the concert part of the town's centennial celebrations ? Seem to remember getting a bronze medal of some sort from school that year.

Took girlfriend now my wife and a friend of hers.She was mad keen on Marc Bolan.....Get it on.....bang a gong .....get it on.
    3 free tickets.
    PGW would have been sulking over the keg of wine he carried back from Italy after the KOP Choir final holiday........the one he dropped and smashed when getting off the coach.

Honest Archie, never paid for a ticket but we were near the back of the crowd.
    Happy days my good friends. I've had a word with Matron and despite you both turning up drunk last time it's ok to visit me again. Could you please bring me some more crayons as I've eaten all the last lot.
    Last edited by parkgatewelfare; 06-03-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Saturday 28 August 1971

T. Rex
    Clifton Park, Rotherham, UK
    Line-up: T. Rex, Marmalade, Arthur Brown, Kingdom Come, Terry Reid

I was there and they were brilliant times. I've still got the ticket and it was a good turnout, but the main reason I went was to see Terry Reid who wasn't as well known as the rest of the line up but he had a fantastic voice. Unfortunately he didn't turn up at the concert and to this day I've not found out why, shame. Anyway, his voice was so good that he was asked to be the lead singer with Led Zeppelin but declined for personal reasons, and we all know how big they became, one of the biggest rock bands in the world. T.Rex were massive at the time and it was a real coup to get them, so well done to the Rotherham council. Fantastic memories. If only I could re live them ha-ha, in my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Nez View Post
    I was there and they were brilliant times. I've still got the ticket and it was a good turnout, but the main reason I went was to see Terry Reid who wasn't as well known as the rest of the line up but he had a fantastic voice. Unfortunately he didn't turn up at the concert and to this day I've not found out why, shame. Anyway, his voice was so good that he was asked to be the lead singer with Led Zeppelin but declined for personal reasons, and we all know how big they became, one of the biggest rock bands in the world. T.Rex were massive at the time and it was a real coup to get them, so well done to the Rotherham council. Fantastic memories. If only I could re live them ha-ha, in my dreams.

Reid had a label change about then resigning with Atlantic records so maybe it was a contractual issue.

Reid was actually asked to front the New Yardbirds which became Led Zep. He turned them down because he was already committed to touring with the Rolling Stones.

He eventually got fed up of touring and concentrated on being a session musician. The old rocker is now an OAP like me lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast