+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T T Rex, Clifton Park 1971

I remember T Rex in Clifton Park, Arthur Brown and Marmalade who were the best on the night.
    Poor turnout by all accounts, we had free tickets.
    Late 60’s and early 70’s were great times musically

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    I'm interested to know where in clifton park it took place and what was the turnout? Could Rotherham ever host a large scale music event again? I wasn't even around in 1971 but I know that T Rex were a big deal.
    Think I'm a similar age to you but I know that in 1971 T Rex were the biggest band in the country. My dad was a big fan of theirs and I got quite into them when I was a kid (despite Marc Bolan tragically dying 3 years before I was born). In fact looking at the discography, at the time of this concert Get it On would have been at Number 1 in the charts, and earlier in the year they'd been at number 1 for 6 weeks with Hot Love. So it must have been a pretty big deal at the time

Clifton Park, now a venue for Mohammed and the Groomers, a famous ****iebopper band.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The Specials and UB40 appeared on Herringthorpe Playing Fields. It was a bit lacking in atmosphere - Rotherham folk of the time (1980?) didn't seem to know what to make of it all.
    I was one of em, I think it was 1981

Pretenders also on the same bill as UB40. Not sure which one was headline act on the day as they used to tour together often and whoever had the latest record out topped the bill ha ha.
    Last edited by sota; 05-03-2019 at 06:54 PM.

I’ve always liked the Specials, not so keen on UB40

It was June 1981 the Specials were at Herringthorpe, an experience so harrowing that the band split up the following year.

Yeah it was invaded by skinheads from Sheffield.

Memory is probably playing tricks but were UB40 at Herringthorpe the year before The Specials?

Yes mate. It was scrapped after the skinhead fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Yeah it was invaded by skinheads from Sheffield.
    I remember there was a bit of bother with some Dee dars...40 years on, not much has changed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast