+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you start watching the Millers ?

How did you start watching the Millers ?

Coming from parents who both came from Sheffield and were Blades fans but moved to Wickersley in the early 60s I should have followed suit. Was taken to The Lane in the early 70s by my dad when they were doing well and getting crowds of 30,000 + so in theory I should be a Blade.

However he took me to see The Millers v Oldham think we lost 3 - 2 Just seem to remember Millmoor been smaller than The Lane but the atmosphere was a lot better to me as a young lad at 8 years old and I've been a Miller ever since much to his disappointment.

So my question is were you from a family of Millers or did you rebel like me ?

I was born to watch the millers .
    Been watching them 42 years now.
    Went with my brother to the first game and we’re still going together now.
    Both my boys and his son now comes to all games.
    It’s in our blood.
    UTM

I'm from a family of Millers. Grandfather took me to my first match v Blades in 1959. Dad took me up to 1964 then I started home and away with pals from school.
    Once a Miller....Always a Miller.....into the future....

My father started following the Millers in 1933 and I went to my first game was against Crystal Palace who we beat 3-0 at Millmoor in January 1966.
    Live out of the area now but kick every ball from a distance. Am 61 now and still feel the same as I did when I first started.
    As they say - you can take me out of Rotherham but you can’t take Rotherham out of me.

Parents were Millers fans, and my uncle and some other relatives were too. Dad first took me to Millmoor when I was nearly six years old, starting with a reserves game in early 1962 (I think). My brothers, sister-in-law and nephew are keen Millers fans too.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 03-03-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Grandad took me in 1973 aged 5.

B@stard!

I’m originally a Londoner, born in Shoreditch to a family of Spurs fans.
    Luckily enough my mother was from Rotherham and when I was 5 we moved North.
    Originally started watching the Millers because my uncle Brian - Brian Tiler- played for us, at the time I didn’t care about The Millers, I was just going to see my uncle play. When he left to play for someone else who I now know was Villa I went off football altogether until I went to comp school where by good fortune all my new mates were Millers so I became one. That’s the way it goes.

I’m the only person on my dads side of the family not to be a spurs fan.

Dragged along by my old man, god rest his soul when I was 6 yrs old because my mother worked most Saturdays . At first I was bored to tears, aleviated somewhat by watching the bigger kids trying to light fires in the wooden railway sleepers that were then terracing steps! It wasn’t until I was allowed to go with my mates that the bug crept up on me and been within me ever since. In early ****s I had a Saturday job on a carpet remnant stall at the bottom of Domine Lane outdoor market, and although the owner was an out and out Leeds fan he used to let me go at exactly 3pm on match days providing I was back at 4.30p. to load his Dodge with his unsold wares, missed a few goals but the money was ok ��

Dad took me to first game 13 May 1967 when I was 9
    Millers 3 Bury 0

He's 93 this year and says his Dad first took him when he was 6

Took both my kids as soon as they were old enough & now the Grandkids

Once a Miller Always a Miller

Think I’ve posted this before but I was a glory hunter and also reverse glory hunter! From Watford, lived St Albans (born 88) with Mum from Rotherham (born in a chip shop her folks were leasing right opposite Millmoor) and Dad from Maltby. Dad went a bit as a kid but wasn’t into football that much as I was growing up so I ended up following Man Utd as I liked Ryan Giggs and Kanchelskis...

Then a mixture of Man Utd winning everything and getting boring, being more aware of the Millers when promoted in 2001 and being of the age to want to know more about family roots I asked to be taken on a trip round Rotherham when visiting Gran in Maltby. Went to my first few games and saw some crackers over the next few years - 4-4 v Norwich and 5-1 v Reading stick in the memory.

Never lived in Rotherham (studying in York for three years closest I’ve got) but now living in London (Milwall are my closest team 30 mins walk away haha) I go to all the away games in Southeast - but with not many of them this year I’ve been to further afield for various reasons Leeds, Forest, Norwich, Ipswich and about 8 in total.

Feel like a bit of an imposter at times but time and money allowing Imll go to to as many as I can

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast