+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Partick Thistle away

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdad View Post
    Still can't believe Neilson even contemplated playing Smith and Pawlett in wide positions on Sunday when we had Nesbitt and McMullan on the bench. Harkes has to start with Butcher and get either Clark or Smith playing alongside Safranko up top and try driving at teams with pace instead of lumping long balls up to a lone target manual as per the Largs coaching manual. Fyvie to be kept as far from the starting 11 as possible please.
    If Smith & Pawlett were playing wide why does everyone say we had no width?
    Cos they were MEANT to be playing wide but weren't?
    Clark was playing #10 but they were getting in his way?
    Serious question.

Btw I like Stanton & would sooner see him in the starting XI.
    Has he been given a chance in the new (same old) team?

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdad View Post
    Still can't believe Neilson even contemplated playing Smith and Pawlett in wide positions on Sunday when we had Nesbitt and McMullan on the bench.
    Pawlett is a winger though?

Can't see anything other that 4231, so I'd go for the following
    __________________________________________________ _
    Benji

Robson
    Connoly
    Reynolds
    Seaman

Butcher
    Harkes

McMullan
    C. Smith
    Pawlett

Clark
    __________________________________________________ _

Hard to justify dropping Pav, but I think Clark has earned a chance at playing up top, where he has a proven record. Cammy Smith must be in behind him and I reckon McMullan would do a job in that team without the GF groaning at him.

I am a Stanton fan too, a bit lightweight sometimes but good footballing skills if in the right position. I don't know much about formations but how about a 4,1,4,1 which can easily be changed to 4,5,1; instantly 2 wingers we also seem to be craving. therefore possibly

Laidlaw(maybe)
    Seaman Reynolds Connelly Robson
    Butcher
    Nesbitt Harkes Stanton (smith) McMullan
    Clark/Safranko

Siegriest
    Gomis
    Fyvie
    Smith/Stanton
    Loemba (will confuse us and them) but fast some skills - another chance
    Bouhenna
    Safranko/Clark

NOSCOTCAPS,
    I have been thinking about a 4-1-4-1 but cannot for the life of me fit everyone in. Back 6 including the keeper picks itself , but the front 5 is oversubscribed with players that can be fitted in. Pawlett is a no brainer but not available this weekend, i can make a case for Smith, Stanton, Harkes, McMullan, Nesbitt and Clark, even Safranko because of his work rate, all getting a place across the 4, but also Clark, McMullan, Safranko, Sow and Smith fitted in up top!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    NOSCOTCAPS,
    I have been thinking about a 4-1-4-1 but cannot for the life of me fit everyone in. Back 6 including the keeper picks itself , but the front 5 is oversubscribed with players that can be fitted in. Pawlett is a no brainer but not available this weekend, i can make a case for Smith, Stanton, Harkes, McMullan, Nesbitt and Clark, even Safranko because of his work rate, all getting a place across the 4, but also Clark, McMullan, Safranko, Sow and Smith fitted in up top!
    Chick I take that as a wee vote of confidence. Yes the formation wont fit all at once but we can have a damn good subs bench. Forgot about Sow.

Massive match on Saturday.

Tricky one but Ross County managed to win there despite being 2-0 down.

Based on our recent form it is going to be really tight.

Robbie unfortunately seems to be a follower of 4-2-3-1. Never plays anything else

I think we have to play the familiar back 6 with harkes and butcher as holding.

McMullan did well when he came on and should start

Personally I think Cammy or Stanton not suited to remaining wing position.

Stanton did very badly out there away to Ayr and think that’s why he’s been out since.

Matty Smith an option if he could come in or another youngster.

Loemba would be a surprise recall! Very unlikely he’ll play for us again I’d think

Overall my guess is Robbie will go

Cammy - Clark - McM
    Safranko

I honestly believe we have the players to fit many different formations and should be looking at the opposition to try and determine which fits best for the particular game, flexibility is important. Ayr and ICT (last game at least) countered the 4231 too easily and were able to push on against our full backsand controlled midfield with an extra man. Thistle are a team where the 4231 may actually work depending how they set up. They have used a back 3 recently (a set up I would like us to explore to be honest) which does make me worry about only 1 up top for us. I like Stanton, but also think the majority of our players have enough quality to play - ideally in their natural positions. For what it's worth I would like to see on Saturday:

Siegrist
    Seaman Connolly Reynolds Robson
    Butcher
    Harkes Stanton
    Smith
    Clark Safranko

Fancy us to score 4 this weekend however we set up.......(if only)

Neilson wake up or take the wrath. Had a lot of promise for neilson. He had done ok.

Expected a lot more. **** your system play to the league. He many managers does it take????????????????????????

Its ****ing simple- 433 now

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    I honestly believe we have the players to fit many different formations and should be looking at the opposition to try and determine which fits best for the particular game, flexibility is important. Ayr and ICT (last game at least) countered the 4231 too easily and were able to push on against our full backsand controlled midfield with an extra man. Thistle are a team where the 4231 may actually work depending how they set up. They have used a back 3 recently (a set up I would like us to explore to be honest) which does make me worry about only 1 up top for us. I like Stanton, but also think the majority of our players have enough quality to play - ideally in their natural positions. For what it's worth I would like to see on Saturday:

Siegrist
    Seaman Connolly Reynolds Robson
    Butcher
    Harkes Stanton
    Smith
    Clark Safranko

Fancy us to score 4 this weekend however we set up.......(if only)
    How are we gonna score 4?? Manager loves a 4231 he needs to get some balls. I believe in him but fans should tell him their thoughts. SRYB

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)