+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Women's football

Women's football

Is anyone else becoming frustrated with the BBC seemingly being intent on ramming this down our throats whether we like it or not?

1. The amount of coverage it gets does not reflect the amount of interest in the sport.
    2. Women's football is absolutely awful.

There are are lots of sports in Britain that would love more coverage...but get nothing. But this gets more than its fair share purely because the players are female.

Surely that is positive discrimination?

How are the BBC ramming it down our throats? They showed 2 out of the 3 games our international side played in this tournament on BBC FOUR... F*cking Four! I didn't even know they had more than 3 channels and I thought they took BBC3 online only as well! I don't see it being shoved down our throats at all so I do think it's probably matched with the amount of interest in the sport.

The more annoying thing at the moment imo is Alex Scott being on as many games as physically possible as a pundit now seemingly just so they can meet a quota whereas usually it's an ex player with links to one or both of the teams playing. You never ever see a male pundit on womens football coverage, it should work both ways imo, I'm not against having a female presenter, they can present just as well as males can do but I want to hear about mens football from from experts or people experienced on/with mens football.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    Is anyone else becoming frustrated with the BBC seemingly being intent on ramming this down our throats whether we like it or not?

1. The amount of coverage it gets does not reflect the amount of interest in the sport.

There are are lots of sports in Britain that would love more coverage...but get nothing. But this gets more than its fair share purely because the players are female.

What figures do you base 1. on? What would you consider a fare share of coverage to be? And as for 2. I'd be interested to see what are you judging it against? Isn't it a bit like saying Shelly-Ann Fraser is absolutely awful?

Bearing in mind the amount of time morbidly obese men playing a pub game purporting to be sport, are on TV, I dont think you have a leg to stand on personally...

Can I point out to you that there are 32.58 million men in the UK and 33.46 million women. Now that's 51-49% wise and it's a fair bet that there are as many footie fans within their ranks as there are among the men.
    So don't they deserve more coverage on that basis alone?
    I would like to bet that last night's England team would be a match for the current dross that wears black and white stripes at Meadow Lane.
    Do try my kids' book 'Red Card' which deals with poor male attitudes towards sporting women. It's been translated into Swedish and Arabic too. It's for 9 to 12 year olds but it might help you reconstruct your attitude.

They're not forcing you to watch it, there's loads of other channels to selcet

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Can I point out to you that there are 32.58 million men in the UK and 33.46 million women. Now that's 51-49% wise and it's a fair bet that there are as many footie fans within their ranks as there are among the men.
    So don't they deserve more coverage on that basis alone?
    I would like to bet that last night's England team would be a match for the current dross that wears black and white stripes at Meadow Lane.
    Do try my kids' book 'Red Card' which deals with poor male attitudes towards sporting women. It's been translated into Swedish and Arabic too. It's for 9 to 12 year olds but it might help you reconstruct your attitude.
    Did you watch it Sid, can you give me a report on the game.

Women's football used to be hugely popular in this country - crowds up to 50k for some games leading up to the 1920s.

It's only because the FA banned it for 50 years that it became seen as some kind of weird offshoot of men's football. They've been playing catch up ever since so it's good that it's finally getting coverage. Maybe the younger generation who are seeing it on TV now won't grow up with such negative views of it.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Did you watch it Sid, can you give me a report on the game.
    Those days are done. Besides, I didn't make any notes!

Quote Originally Posted by DomdomPie View Post
    Women's football used to be hugely popular in this country - crowds up to 50k for some games leading up to the 1920s.

It's only because the FA banned it for 50 years that it became seen as some kind of weird offshoot of men's football. They've been playing catch up ever since so it's good that it's finally getting coverage. Maybe the younger generation who are seeing it on TV now won't grow up with such negative views of it.
    Well said, that man.

It's not positive discrimination, it's more about what the BBC can afford to show when competing with the obscene amounts of money the likes of Sky are prepared to offer for top level football. If you are happy to double your licence fee you might get better. I also disagree that women's football is awful, I watched a few Notts Ladies games including the FA Cup final at Wembley and enjoyed them all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast