+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tranmere

Tranmere

So, we're at Tranmere Friday. Can't go cos I'm in Spain and I won't get back in time. However, a team in the play-offs is probably what we need at the moment.
    I'm going for 2-2 as unlikely as that sounds.

When we play a team in the top half of the league we appear to play better football and get more results in our favour. I feel we will not keep a clean sheet but I am going for a 2-1 win for the Alex. I will be there with my son to shout the lads on

If our previous two meetings this season is any guide then it should be a goalfest! 0-0 anyone? I’ll go for a 1-1 draw I think

I have always been a fierce critic of Artell and our first team squad and have been happy to keep my counsel and watch whilst the delerium has been rife that we are play off contenders !!!!! I do hope that the drugs have now worn off and reality has taken hold, Artell has aessembled a mid table side a long way from promotion material and I hope the board realise that the first team needs major investment in the summer along with the realease of some long term hangers on like Garrett and Ray, and the realease of woeful footballers like Lowery and finney. An important summer for the club where funds need to be made available to buy players at least £500000 in transfer fees and a further £500000 in wages required. And yes I realise that I have also entered the realm of delerium, and I appreciate that we will have to settle for zero investment in the first team and a large dose of Director spin where they think that not renewing players contracts and bringing in free players is investment, it is merely changing names whilst stealthly reducing first team investment.

Wishfulll thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    I have always been a fierce critic of Artell and our first team squad and have been happy to keep my counsel and watch whilst the delerium has been rife that we are play off contenders !!!!! I do hope that the drugs have now worn off and reality has taken hold, Artell has aessembled a mid table side a long way from promotion material and I hope the board realise that the first team needs major investment in the summer along with the realease of some long term hangers on like Garrett and Ray, and the realease of woeful footballers like Lowery and finney. An important summer for the club where funds need to be made available to buy players at least £500000 in transfer fees and a further £500000 in wages required. And yes I realise that I have also entered the realm of delerium, and I appreciate that we will have to settle for zero investment in the first team and a large dose of Director spin where they think that not renewing players contracts and bringing in free players is investment, it is merely changing names whilst stealthly reducing first team investment.
    Wishfull thinking if you expect the Directors to invest in the team,they MISSED the Golden Opportunity to sign MAYNARD who has paid Bury 10 times over already with higher gates and Promotion in site. At Crewe they do things on the cheap,and pay out more in the long term doing it. Nothing will change have to be thankful for the 1st time in 5 seasons there not in a relegation battle,but dont blink quite yet.

I think I said before the season started that I would welcome a season of mid-table mediocrity and that's what we've got.
    As for £500,000, I know I'm going to sound like DA when I say it's all about fine margins. How many players do you want for that money? If it was only one it might make a difference but the wages would be enormous. However should that money be split into a number of players, then I have to say the figures may make no difference. The margin of ability between a freebie and someone signed for 150/200k is probably minimal if non-existent. Green and Nolan were freebies and fitted our wage structure. Would we have been any better off spending a couple of 100k each for others instead?

Absolutely right, gazan. £100k also pays the salary of 7 or 8 Academy scholars, or 3 or 4 Pickering or Kirks, that’s how the Academy works. We can then get good experienced pros like Green and Nolan to further develop and help the talented youngsters. You only have to look at the improvement in Wintle, Ng and others to see the impact they can have which, in strictly business terms, increases their value as well as improves their play.

I really don’t get why we should expect the Board to sink their own money into the club. The club should be self financing (and I know we’ve been hamstrung by an individual taking money out of the club) and rely on gate money, sponsorship and other marketing initiatives to raise money. I believe they could do better in some of those things but they are effectively custodians to ensure we still have a club to support in 20 years, something Mr Bowlerhas been pretty good at over the years. Better that than take the sort of ludicrous risks that have left Chester and Stockport in National League North and Coventry City, Bolton Wanderers and Blackpool with seriously angry fans and threatened expulsion from the League.

Quote Originally Posted by itwasin View Post
    Wishfull thinking if you expect the Directors to invest in the team,they MISSED the Golden Opportunity to sign MAYNARD who has paid Bury 10 times over already with higher gates and Promotion in site. At Crewe they do things on the cheap,and pay out more in the long term doing it. Nothing will change have to be thankful for the 1st time in 5 seasons there not in a relegation battle,but dont blink quite yet.
    Welcome back have you been on holiday the last couple of months?

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    Absolutely right, gazan. £100k also pays the salary of 7 or 8 Academy scholars, or 3 or 4 Pickering or Kirks, that’s how the Academy works. We can then get good experienced pros like Green and Nolan to further develop and help the talented youngsters. You only have to look at the improvement in Wintle, Ng and others to see the impact they can have which, in strictly business terms, increases their value as well as improves their play.

I really don’t get why we should expect the Board to sink their own money into the club. The club should be self financing (and I know we’ve been hamstrung by an individual taking money out of the club) and rely on gate money, sponsorship and other marketing initiatives to raise money. I believe they could do better in some of those things but they are effectively custodians to ensure we still have a club to support in 20 years, something Mr Bowlerhas been pretty good at over the years. Better that than take the sort of ludicrous risks that have left Chester and Stockport in National League North and Coventry City, Bolton Wanderers and Blackpool with seriously angry fans and threatened expulsion from the League.
    Well said both you and Gazan

it did once

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post

Thats how the Academy works!! what you really mean to say is "Thats how it used to work"" even some Directors have just woken up and said they were disappointed no one came in for any of the players,the reason being the Game has moved on,clubs want ready made players not some one who may make it! You dont need an Academy there is one called the National League you just require a Scout at the fraction of the cost to go out and spot them like POGBA from Wrexham,there is loads of them out there,thats why no one comes to Crewe anymore. Wake up CREWE!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast