+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Maxwelltown No More!!

Maxwelltown No More!!

So, after being located in the Burgh of Maxwelltown for the last 100 years the club has officially removed Maxwelltown from it's corporate registered address.

A unique piece of local history wiped out in one single swipe of a pen.

I don't know who made this decision but an explanation should be forthcoming from Palmerston.
    The club may have been founded on the east side of the Nith (Dumfries) in 1919 but located itself in Maxwelltown, where it has remained for the last 100 years and may very well remain for the next 100 years!

A wonderful wee quirk which lauded such local status and sadly taken away.

For the sake of posterity always remind yourselves that every visit to Palmy is a day out in Maxwelltown.
    The Spread, The Devorgilla, The Globe and the Salutation - wonderful hostelries which welcome you to Maxwelltown!!

As we are all fully aware the burgh of Maxwelltown amalgamated with Dumfries in 1929.........end of debate.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    As we are all fully aware the burgh of Maxwelltown amalgamated with Dumfries in 1929.........end of debate.

lol your correct jardi but ending debates is not the way to go ,encouraging the debate is the way to go ,which keeps forums like this going .

Quote Originally Posted by wacqos View Post
    So, after being located in the Burgh of Maxwelltown for the last 100 years the club has officially removed Maxwelltown from it's corporate registered address.

A unique piece of local history wiped out in one single swipe of a pen.

I don't know who made this decision but an explanation should be forthcoming from Palmerston.
    The club may have been founded on the east side of the Nith (Dumfries) in 1919 but located itself in Maxwelltown, where it has remained for the last 100 years and may very well remain for the next 100 years!

A wonderful wee quirk which lauded such local status and sadly taken away.

For the sake of posterity always remind yourselves that every visit to Palmy is a day out in Maxwelltown.
    The Spread, The Devorgilla, The Globe and the Salutation - wonderful hostelries which welcome you to Maxwelltown!!

May I ask how you found this out wacqos ?

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    lol your correct jardi but ending debates is not the way to go ,encouraging the debate is the way to go ,which keeps forums like this going .
    Not really sure Francis that there is actually anything to debate here.

I was oblivious to this being on our corporate legal address but i’m with wacqos. These wee things are a nice wee tip of the hat to the social and political history of the town.

House names and street names aside, does anyone living in Maxwelltown feel strongly enough to actually insist on using it as part of their address any more as an acknowledgement to past history? I doubt it, even the town signs as you approach the town don't make any reference to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Auld_Chippy View Post
    House names and street names aside, does anyone living in Maxwelltown feel strongly enough to actually insist on using it as part of their address any more as an acknowledgement to past history? I doubt it, even the town signs as you approach the town don't make any reference to it.
    Possibly not, and the removal of it from the address may be to do with corporate legalese. Shame though, in a way.

Let's have IndyDG2 !!

Quote Originally Posted by Auld_Chippy View Post
    Very true mate - I cannot remember any resident of Dumfries actually mentioning the word Maxwelltown in conversation for many, many years.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)