+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: do we 'deserve' relegation?

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    But 'keeping us in games' hasn't worked. It clearly hasn't, 7 points out of 54 away from home. Had we been more expansive then we might have taken some beatings but I can't imagine we wouldn't have got more points away from home. I believe that whatever happens, Warne should be manager next season but I think if we do go down there will be a fair amount of regret and 'what if' knocking around the terraces and the dressing room.
    With the players that we have left fit and available now, Warney isn't going to be expansive, although that might have been worth trying earlier in the season.
    We don't really know how we ended up having just one broken-toed forward available to play in a Championship relegation dog-fight ... Warney? TS? Recruitment team? Financial problems? Dodgy agents? Bad luck? Sheer naivety? The idea that we could somehow bluff our way through to survive in the 5th/6th (?) best league in Europe is crazy. It's still not too late to sign a "free agent" - we only need for them to get through about 10 games, IF they are fit to hit the ground running (unlikely, I know)
    Last edited by mikemiller; 11-03-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Players don’t no

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Players don’t no
    Que?

millwall are on a worse run than us they are bang out of form and have been really for a little while.

I think next season will be harder to stay up than this.

not winning a away game for 3 quaters of the season and still staying up (if we do) prob saids how bad the bottom half of the table has been.

if we do i put it purely down to not getting players in January when it was ours to pull away and make us safe.

If we haven't put every conceivable effort into avoiding relegation how can we possibly argue that we 'deserve' to be a Championship club in 2019/20? We have been crying out, literally, for a goalscorer for three years and the fact we still don't have a single one on our books is beyond comprehension. Smith is classified as a striker but by virtue of his exceptional work-rate up front, certainly not because of his goal scoring prowess. But the vast majority of that work-rate goes to waste because he has very little support, other than at set pieces.

Of course, with a squad better suited to League One and an inability or unwillingness to invest, there's no guarantee anybody or anything could have improved our situation significantly. But my desperation, alongside many others I'm sure, stems from our not giving ourselves an improved fighting chance and not showing the slightest hint of ambition, especially in away performances and longer term. The fight and commitment is evident at the NYS but something is sadly lacking off the field.

Survival can't be discounted, and having got this far is a real possibility, but survival alone shouldn't be our sole aim. If nothing else changes we'll simply be back to square one come August. And right now that seems more than good enough for the powers that be.

Its not a case of deserve or not, its a case of will they or won't they? Did Man U deserve a penalty in Paris? Did the Owls deserve a draw at NYS the other week? There's many a team who go up or down who people think don't deserve to. At the moment we are the 3rd worst team in the 5th biggest league in the world. However, have the rules changed to say that the league ends on 36 games? Thought not.

Its easy to own a football club isn't it? II that was the case,how come we did not have an owner just over 10 years ago? I get as frustrated as the next person when we don't sign anyone, but we have to be realistic. Our budget does not allow for 10 grand a week footballers. Football is a very strange game and no-one knows what is behind the corner. Last season our fortunes changed when an integral player (KM) was sent off at Bristol. Who knows how the team will perform in the next 3 games without another key player.

Hope the players don't share the negativity of some who come on here.

Come on you Reds and prove the doubters wrong. UTM>

have we showed enough ambition not to get relegated ?

I honestly believe that there are more than 3 teams in this league worserer than us. On our day I think that we've been better than most clubs we've come up against at home.
    We don't have that one guy who is head and shoulders ahead of others in the league. You could argue that Vaulks, Ajayi and Rodak have been up there with the best of them int the Championship but these 3 have been ably supported by their team mates.

We have relied on our wing men too much at times with us playing 3 in the same team without a support striker to help Smith if they were to get a half decent cross into the box. To say that this is the way we've played we must admit that the crossing has on the whole been shocking!

The away form was always going to be a problem. We just haven't been positive enough away from home. The goal difference has been a factor in this and to be quite honest I'd rather us get that extra point that the better goal difference is worth than rely on other teams conceding more.

Will we go down? I said at the beginning of the season that I thought that we would but now I don't thnk so. I think that the 3 tat will go down are Ipswich, Bolton and either Millwall or Wigan. I think that we'll finish 5th bottom but not on goal difference!

I said at the start of the season we will go down the only thing that's changed is we deserve to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    My god there’s some miserable sods on here
    I've always found that the more optimistic you are, the bigger the crash when it all falls apart. 52 years as a Millers' fan has taught me that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast